Tactics - need some dev love on resource - anybody have suggestions?

By Raksorvix, in Strategy and deck-building

I have been trying multiple times to do a very good tactic deck and I've been close.

My main issue is playing with a group of friends doing 3~4 player missions.

The tactics deck I play normally needs Leadership so I can either play with Steward of Gondor so I can have enough resource to play the expensive tactics allys.

That is basically my technique when playing solo BUT the issue is with all players liking to play Steward of Gondor and it being unique there is no way that all players can benefit from a resources that it can provide. For me the best deck should have Steward of Gondor (Leadership) OR Zigi (Spirit) OR Resourceful (Neutral) OR Horn of Gondor (tactics) as the main resource building cards. My issue is that me and my friends can't have Steward of Gondor to work with our resources because it is unique.

The only one really available for tactics is Horn of Gondor. Which requires you to either get somebody to leave play. I can strategically make an eagle deck that will do this but the eagles are so pricey that in solo play without the help of Steward of Gondor it is almost impossible to play.

Anybody successful in making a deck of tactic/combo cards without the Steward of Gondor but you have access to Resourceful?

I really hope that tactics gets some love because my super deck normally has Spirit, Lore and Leadership combo due to the awesomeness of those spheres. Tactics is often left behind because all they are good at is attack and the deck normally either runs out of cards OR runs out of resources to play the cards.

Need two things for tactics:

1) some sort of resource card aside from Horn of Gondor like a hero or an attachment that gives resources on kills (like a looting corpse).

2) On kills draw a card (an attachment)

If we can get something like that then tactics will be more useful in 3~4 player games. I need to play a balance deck and force another player to play questing deck so that we can carry the tactics deck in our game because he can't quest + he needs to be given the Steward of Gondor so he can have some resource to play with but that means that none of the other players can play Steward of Gondor. Need to give some love to Tactics by giving some resources on kills or destroying an orc/troll (like 2 resources for an orc kill and 4 resources for a troll kill or something). This will force the tactic deck to always attack each round.

Your thoughts or suggestions?

Raksorvix said:

I have been trying multiple times to do a very good tactic deck and I've been close.

My main issue is playing with a group of friends doing 3~4 player missions.

The tactics deck I play normally needs Leadership so I can either play with Steward of Gondor so I can have enough resource to play the expensive tactics allys.

That is basically my technique when playing solo BUT the issue is with all players liking to play Steward of Gondor and it being unique there is no way that all players can benefit from a resources that it can provide. For me the best deck should have Steward of Gondor (Leadership) OR Zigi (Spirit) OR Resourceful (Neutral) OR Horn of Gondor (tactics) as the main resource building cards. My issue is that me and my friends can't have Steward of Gondor to work with our resources because it is unique.

The only one really available for tactics is Horn of Gondor. Which requires you to either get somebody to leave play. I can strategically make an eagle deck that will do this but the eagles are so pricey that in solo play without the help of Steward of Gondor it is almost impossible to play.

Anybody successful in making a deck of tactic/combo cards without the Steward of Gondor but you have access to Resourceful?

I really hope that tactics gets some love because my super deck normally has Spirit, Lore and Leadership combo due to the awesomeness of those spheres. Tactics is often left behind because all they are good at is attack and the deck normally either runs out of cards OR runs out of resources to play the cards.

Need two things for tactics:

1) some sort of resource card aside from Horn of Gondor like a hero or an attachment that gives resources on kills (like a looting corpse).

2) On kills draw a card (an attachment)

If we can get something like that then tactics will be more useful in 3~4 player games. I need to play a balance deck and force another player to play questing deck so that we can carry the tactics deck in our game because he can't quest + he needs to be given the Steward of Gondor so he can have some resource to play with but that means that none of the other players can play Steward of Gondor. Need to give some love to Tactics by giving some resources on kills or destroying an orc/troll (like 2 resources for an orc kill and 4 resources for a troll kill or something). This will force the tactic deck to always attack each round.

Your thoughts or suggestions?

Well, thematically I like the resource advantage from kills because it represents "looting," as you mentioned. It definitely makes more sense than lowering threat after a kill.

If you play a tactics deck and you want additional resources, Radagast is the simple answer to your problem.

leptokurt said:

If you play a tactics deck and you want additional resources, Radagast is the simple answer to your problem.

He's expensive, so I don't use him, but this could work, especially if your running eagles (which, by the way, I usually don't because of their cost). But If you got Radagast on round 1 or 2, and saved all your resources from round 1, you can purchase Radagast in round two. During round three you'd generate 4 resources, which is enough to buy most of the eagles. It's an early hit to your resources, and it will take 5 rounds for him to pay for himself (too long for competitive scoring), but once set up, that extra resource could really come in handy.

Budgernaut said:

leptokurt said:

He's expensive, so I don't use him, but this could work, especially if your running eagles (which, by the way, I usually don't because of their cost). But If you got Radagast on round 1 or 2, and saved all your resources from round 1, you can purchase Radagast in round two. During round three you'd generate 4 resources, which is enough to buy most of the eagles. It's an early hit to your resources, and it will take 5 rounds for him to pay for himself (too long for competitive scoring), but once set up, that extra resource could really come in handy.

The OP said: " I have been trying multiple times to do a very good tactic deck and I've been close. " This implies that he uses Eagles. lengua.gif

Yes, Radagast is expensive, but if you play him like you explained it here, he not only provides extra resources, but also solves the WP problem of a tactics deck (ok, this is more a problem for a solo player). You can still play a Vasall of the Windlord in the first two rounds if you face some combat trouble. Afterwards one can play an eagle per round, attach "Support by the Eagles" to one or two heroes, and that's it.

Just a quick observation: While all that has been mentioned is pretty much true, I find it slightly disappointing that the only viable tactic-themed deck seems to be an eagle-centered on so far. With such great heros from the LOTR lore (Boromir, Legolas, Gimli, Brand), it seems a bit of a let-down that one would be unable to successfully solo around those heros without substantial help from either 1) another sphere, or 2) another player's hand. Just a thought.

I know you mentioned using Resourceful as an option. This, along with Radagast, seems like a really good option. There is not limit to how many "Resourceful" attachments can be in play and you could possibly have more than one per hero. I know they are expensive and they aren't as beneficial as steward but it offers a way to boost your resources. Perhaps you could use Horn of Gondor to boost your resources in order to play Resourceful.