PREPARATIONS CARD (MORALE DECK I) question

By samruiz123, in Tide of Iron

I do not understand this card …does it mean that by using option 1 that you can end only YOUR turn (meaning your oponent gets to use all his units), or does it mean that you force the game turn to end for BOTH players? …it makes no sense for it to mean to end one of the player's turn, becasue this would totally give the advantage to the oposing player, right? should this card have read to END THE TURN IMMEDIATELY FOR BOTH players(meaning move to the command phase right away)??? do you guys know what i mean? I feel this card might meant to end the turn for both players….am i wrong? what do you guys think? I dont see a reason for a player to use option 1 when it puts him at a disavantage by ending all his turns!…please help! thanks!

Well this can come in handy. Normally you have to take a number of actions before the enemy takes his turn, where they take actions and back to you again (lets say 3 actions per turn for this example)

If you get to a stage where you have 3 units left to order but you want to see what your enemy is going to do so that you can react. You can play this card so that you end your turn and force your enemy to play their turn then you can take your actions whith your last 3 units. Normally if you don't take your 3 actions and declare that you end your turn, you cant play another turn after your enemy has taken their actions (in effect you declear your action phase is over) By playing this card you can forgo one of your turns without having to use any of your units in actions. It allows you to wait and see what your enemy is going to do and react to it. It is helpful in scenarios where your enemy has more units than you.

thanks for the answer aussie, but forgive me, i am still confused a bit…maybe becasue of the TURN and ACCION terminology….you say END YOUR TURN so that then the enemy TAKES HIS ACTIONS…do u mean, end my 3 actions? also, if i can pass up my 3 actions no? meaning i dont have to use a card to make me do this? or am i wrong? …we have been playing it so that when we have few units we just choose not to take the 3 actions…are we playing wrong? are we forced then to take actions and if not then that ends the TURN for the player? if this is the case, then i can see how the card can be handy.

samruiz123 said:

thanks for the answer aussie, but forgive me, i am still confused a bit…maybe becasue of the TURN and ACCION terminology….you say END YOUR TURN so that then the enemy TAKES HIS ACTIONS…do u mean, end my 3 actions?

A turn in ToI is a number actions (listed by the scenario) before your enemy gets to take their turn with that number of actions then it goes back to you for your turn again. It keeps doing this until both players have used all their units. So after you take 3 actions your turn is over and it is your enemies turn once they have done 3 actions its your turn again, you keep doing this until both have activated all units or passed, then that would be the end of the action phase.

samruiz123 said:

also, if i can pass up my 3 actions no? meaning i dont have to use a card to make me do this? or am i wrong? …we have been playing it so that when we have few units we just choose not to take the 3 actions…are we playing wrong? are we forced then to take actions and if not then that ends the TURN for the player? if this is the case, then i can see how the card can be handy.

you have to take the 3 actions each turn or else you pass the rest of your action phase that is why this card is very handy

From the rule book page 10 under the heading The Action Phase:

The action phase is broken down into a number of action turns, during which a player MUST take the number of actions idicated by the specific scenario .

And by the way, you are far from the only one which confuses "turns" and "phases". I dont have count of how many times the community has answered that question.

For example if you are on the defensive, and have only a few units left to use, but the enemy is still hiding, and thus not much you can do with your remaining units. If you are forced to use your units, then the enemy might do whatever he feels like afterward, have a free beer. Moving forward at will. However if you force the enemy to do their actions first, you are forcing him to either keep hiding or go forward. If he goes forward, you can fire back. If he doesn't go forward, well, then you have gained time. Ofcourse you may also put your units in opfire-mode instead, but then they are stationary and cannot react in the same way.