Deluxe edition?

By ColtsFan76, in War of the Ring

Is FFG going to be distributing a Deluxe edition? Or was that only a limited edition produced by the European designers?

never heard of a deluxe edition. can you give me a link please?

This is from a thread on Board Game Geek.: -

http://www.phalanxgames.de/product_info.php?cPath=31&product...

"Per an ESSEN post on Kulkmann's G@mebox , this game will be limited to 200 copies... "

The link is to Phalanx Games - Language, I think, is German, which I don't read but I think the upshot of it is that the 200 copies have been snapped up.

Any German readers out there want to translate?

Personally I dont like the looks of the minis in the Deluxe Edition. Im glad I went ahead and just bought the base game (hasnt hit the table yet but it'll get there once I figure out the rules).

Did they change the minis in the Deluxe version? I still want to get my hands on that Gollum mini. Why he wasn't just added to the expansion mades no sense to me. :(

Not that Im aware of but the painting appears a good but under par for the money your shelling out for them.

CanadianPittbull said:

Did they change the minis in the Deluxe version? I still want to get my hands on that Gollum mini. Why he wasn't just added to the expansion mades no sense to me. :(

I think probably because he adds nothing to the game. He is represented in an abstract way in the Sam/Frodo piece. If you have him, you just end up leaving him in the fellowship box.

But I guess it would have been a nice addition for those that wanted it. Have you tried Spielbox in germany? They may still have pieces for sale. Some of their back issues sell out quickly but I can't remember if this is one of them.

Granted the mini is not needed but it would have been nice to actually have the mini so Gollum could be represented on the board. I figure if I come across one I will pick it up but I honestly have a hard time getting folks to play this one as most find it pretty awe-inspiring and hefty.

The German Text says something like:

with a lot of lovely details... comepletly in german .... limited to 200 pieces

To those who have the base game and expansion, the deluxe edition doesn't bring anything new to the table. It's just a luxury item. Not interested in my case, but I can't wait to get my hands on Age of Conan.

Is expansion included in deluxe edition?

The expansion to the base game will be in the deluxe edition, but the operational level games (Rohan and Gondor) will not.

Depnding on my finances when it's released I might be one of those guys who purchase such things as this, but even if I'm strapped for cash I would be very interested in getting one of the deluxe gameboards (and a set of the cards if they have larger print). If anyone here can shed any light on whether or not that will be an option down the line I'd be most appreciative.

This one is definitely near the top of my "must have" list. For those of you who visit BBG, I'm sure you've already read it, but for those who don't, one of the designers, Roberto Di Meglio posted this information back in December:

Sorry if I took so long to reply on this subject!

First of all, the pre-order by Phalanx on this item was closed because we asked them to do so, not because the product is sold out.

The information that Phalanx used to solicit the order was preliminary and not guaranteed to be accurate, both in terms of the price and the release date.

The pre-orders will be opened again, in Germany and everywhere else, as soon as the information on price and release date becomes 100% certain.

There will definitely be an English edition, as well as a German edition.

Other possible editions, unconfirmed to this date, include Italian, French and Spanish.

I will not post an official release date until I can make it a certain date (within a reasonable approximation).
At this moment, I can only say it won't be earlier than april 2009, and our hope is to have it no later than summer 2009.

In any case the game is something real, we are working on it, and it will see the light of the day.

Regarding the production value of this item, there was a lot of debate after we introduced some of the elements to the public in Essen.

Based on the feedback we received, we are reviewing the color schemes of the figures. Initially we wanted to play it safe, in terms of achieving a prototype which can be industrially replicated, faithful to certain guidelines on the color schemes, and with figures which may be clearly identified from each other.

Looking at the final result, we agree that it may be improved in several ways, and we will do so.
In any case, remember that this is an industrial production on 25 mm high figures, so of course a master painter with a labor of love will achieve better results than we possibly can - but for anybody who does not have such skills, I think what we will offer in the end will be very satisfying.

We also think that the painted figures are just a part of the value of this item - we see a value in the game itself and its value as a collectible; this is way we took significant energy to encase it in a box which would showcase this.
We were happy to see that - mostly - the labour we put in creating a beautiful box (which was designed by master artisans in Florence) has been appreciated, and we have found ways to replicate its looks well in the context of the final production of the game.

As told before, we are also working to improve the other graphical components of the game.

As we told before, we expect the final release price of the game to be about Euro 200 / $ 250. However the price is not final yet and it will be final only when announced.

We expect the game to be available in very limited quantity. Each copy will be individually numbered, and the game will never be reprinted again in the same version.

I hope this should answer most questions, until we are really, really, ready.

Here's a link to the thread.

well, I'd sure like that bigger board; on the other hand, I've started to paint my miniatures, so I won't be needing them (and let me tell you, it's near to impossible task to finish :) .

so, I agree, it would be great if new gameboard would be available separate from the deluxe package.