Does using all actions during Activation preclude a Reaction in the Responding Player''s Unit Phase even if reacting unit has no Reaction markers►

By flvolunteer, in Dust Warfare

If I''m reading it correctly, it appears there is a way to get 3 Actions out of a single unit.

Scenario for Rules as Written:

1) Initiating player has Unit X with no Reaction or Suppression markers (i.e. did not issue an Order to the unit, was not a target of fire during the Command Phase, etc…).

2) During Unit Phase, Unit X performs a March and expending 2x actions

3) Responding player moves a unit within 12" of Unit X during their Unit Phase

4) Since Unit X has no Reaction Markers and is Not Suppressed they React with an Attack action.

Opinion on Rules as Intended: Since reactions cannot be taken if a unit has a Reaction Marker and that marker also results in 1 less action during activation then it stands to reason that a unit wanting to be ready to react during the Responding Player''s Unit Phase needs to leave at least 1 action available to do so. In other words, the unit would be put into an "overwatch" status.

I apologize in advance if I missed an obvious explanation to this cunundrum in the forum or in the rulebook. I''m planning on play testing this game this weekend and wanted to clear up some things before then.

Regards,

flvolunteer

I think a answer might be found on page 34 & 35 under multiple reactions maybe►►►

I see that a unit can make 2 actions once activated as long as it has no markers on it. But nothing about it losing it''s ability to react after it has already been activated!

So long as your unit has no reaction or suppression tokens it may perform two actions in the unit phase and react to enemy units.

Remember. Any unit which was given an order in the command phase gets a reaction marker. By definition, none these marked units could react for the rest of the turn.

Wow, okay, it seems I did not read that incorrectly. That is a powerful thing for the Initiating player so will have to keep an eye on that. If it was done on purpose, I''m sure this was so that they would not be at the total mercy of the Responding player.

Thanks for the responses!

Regards,

flvolunteer

We noticed this in our first playthrough last night. Initiative appears to be an extraordinary advantage in a given turn, because you can run forward, attack, then react on your opponents'' actions.

I am interested to try the game again knowing this, as I ran a unit right into certain death last night.

An obvious question for someone who already has the book, but when do reaction markers get removed►

felkor said:

An obvious question for someone who already has the book, but when do reaction markers get removed?

End phase

I just see this as a mechanic to keep the game close. More units = roll more initiative dice = probably get more orders = probably go second = deal with more actions/reactions.

blkdymnd said:

felkor said:

An obvious question for someone who already has the book, but when do reaction markers get removed►

End phase

Just remember, before the first player gets to react, the opponent gets his command phase and could render those reactions useless if he can suppress any available units that weren''t ordered.

blkdymnd said:

Just remember, before the first player gets to react, the opponent gets his command phase and could render those reactions useless if he can suppress any available units that weren''''t ordered.

I've been wondering why in the command phase the take action command lets you make a move regardless of suppression or reaction tokens… how is it possible to have a reaction token during the command phase ? you can only give 1 command order to each unit right ?

felkor said:

blkdymnd said:

Just remember, before the first player gets to react, the opponent gets his command phase and could render those reactions useless if he can suppress any available units that weren''''t ordered.

Yes, but that''s true for both sides.

Once that''s done, there are unsuppressed units on both sides, and Player A will get to react with them at no penalty, while Player B will have a penalty (losing an action in the Unit Phase) if he reacts with them.

It does seem as though the Initiative Player has an advantage both in going first in the command and unit phases as well as total # of actions but I guess that is the point. Having initiative is good!!!

trideau said:

felkor said:

blkdymnd said:

Yes, but that''s true for both sides.

Once that''s done, there are unsuppressed units on both sides, and Player A will get to react with them at no penalty, while Player B will have a penalty (losing an action in the Unit Phase) if he reacts with them.

It does seem as though the Initiative Player has an advantage both in going first in the command and unit phases as well as total # of actions but I guess that is the point. Having initiative is good!!!

Nor neccesarily the most actions. The player with initiative has less command orders than the non-initiative player which in the games I've played is where it ceases to become a considerable advantage.