Threat from the East and Wildling Wisewoman

By White Phoenix, in 2. AGoT Rules Discussion

Ah, so something like Insidious Ways. Things are becoming clearer.

Kid Gruesome said:

Ah, so something like Insidious Ways. Things are becoming clearer.

Exactly. Insidious Ways is even the example used in the FAQ (ยง4.18, p.11).

WW cannot cancel Insidious Ways, because the draw would occur later than step 3, in another action window altogether. WW can cancel things like Parting Blow or Hollow Hill or Eddard Stark (KL) with drawing in a "then" clause, because thoses happen during step 3.

Hello all,

First off, sorry for restarting such an old thread.

I am fairly new to the game and would like clarification on the interaction between Threat from the East and Wildling Wisewoman.

Essentially it comes down to whether "Each player discards three random cards from hand. Each player that discarded three cards draws three cards." is considered a single effect or two effects. If it's a single effect then I assume it is cancelled in it's entirety by Wisewoman. If it's two effects then can I cancel the draw without cancelling the preceeding discard?

The previous discussion appears to deal with Threat from the East pre errata and centres around the use of the word "then" which no longer appears on the card.

Clarification (preferably with some explanation) would be much appreciated.

Edited by DaScrub

"Then" effects cannot be cancelled independantly, so you either cancel the whole effect or nothing at all. If you anticipate your opponent to draw cards (at least one opponent has at least 3 cards in hand and has not reached draw cap - you have to cancel before the opponent chooses one option or the other), then you are allowed to trigger Wildling Wisewoman's response.

The presence of the word "then" doesn't change the fact that you must cancel all of an effect or nothing.

Said another way, despite the fact that the draw/discard (or discard/draw) are independent effect of the same plot, they are both part of the same "when revealed" initiation. Since they have the same initiation, they have the same cancel opportunity - and you either cancel the whole thing, or nothing.

Thanks.

Also just like to say I appreciate the time you guys take to actually explain the rules behind the answers. I've looked through a few of the rules questions and it really does make it easier to get a grip on things and apply the same thought processes when other similar things come up.

You're welcome.