Very noobish question

By Julia, in X-Wing

Hi friends!

X-Wing will be my first miniature game ever (love Star Wars imply too much, I have to play this ::laughter: :) , and I'm kinda excited for the expansions announced. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it should use a system similar to Wings of War, right? Hence the question: when you played WoW was it possible to play fleet against fleet? Or all the games were one airplane vs another airplane? I'd love to see ships from expansions working together on a mass Scenario instead of 1 vs 1 all the time.

Thoughts?

I haven't played Wings of War, but one thing that is known is that there are going to be two TIE fighters in the starter box, so it stands to reason that you'll be able to field more than one ship (and I'll bet it explicitly says so on one of the product pages). Plus, they've mentioned a point-buy system, so it stands to reason you'll be able to buy several ships with your points.

'Fleet' is a pretty big word though, which might imply the inclusion of capital ships, which I don't think they're going to be doing (not right out of the gate, anyway). I wouldn't rule it out down the line, though. :)

Hi Julia!

This game will definitely be able to accommodate more than 1v1 fighter actions. I've played Wings of War for several years, and we routinely play 3v3. The largest recorded game had 80+ fighters swooping around.

Is movement simultaneous and firing sequential, or is a ship's complete initiative based on pilot skill? Anyone know?

Lowest initiative moves first, and fires last.

Actually, in a very real sense, EVERYONE here is a nOOb since the game hasn't even been released yet. Everything we "know" about it is a combination of limited information, educated inference, and just plain smoke & mirrors.

What we DO know with virtual 100% certainty is that the game is not just compatible with multiple ships, but actually designed for it. The whole Point System mechanic virtually guarantees it. Otherwise, it'd be like playing Wizards of the Coast's Star Wars minis game and one guy says "I like Nahdar Vebb, so I'll play him" and the other player says "well, I like Darth Bane, so I'll play HIM." Might be fun, but... brief.

Right now, if you look at the immediately upcoming releases, it looks like they're designed to replicate Big Scenes from ANH. You gotcher X-Wings & Y-Wings, you gotcher TIEs and Vader's TIE, and (apparently; but I didn't see the reference) you got the Millenium Falcon. Also the Slave-I.

Next up (assuming the game's a hit) certainties will be the TIE Interceptor & A-Wing, likely will be the B-Wing, (I maintain) unlikely will be the TIE bomber. Depending on FFG's aggressiveness, possibles would be the Z-95 Headhunter, the TIE Defender and the Outrider.

After that, it would gravitate to the prequel trilogy & the Clone Wars. Which is fine; I'd LOVE me some Aethersprites!

First of all, thank you all for your answers. I'm very glad the game is designed for multiple ships to be used in the very same battle. Looks kinda... HUGE? Tempting? ::laughter:: Don't know... but I'm really high on hopes with this one.

As for the 80 airplanes in a Wings of War battle... babeo.gif babeo.gif babeo.gif

Now I definitely have to find somebody crazy enough to buy some of those so that we can widen the battle field ::laughter::

And yes, the idea of having also bigger ships involved sounds really appealing to me as well

While the game has been tweaked slightly (dice changes, etc), from what we can tell the basics of the game have stayed the same...

so look at the three videos from the demo at Gencon: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/103885/star-wars-x-wing

Those should give you a good idea of the intent and roughly how the game is intended to play. Definitely designed for multiple ships and multiple players.

Dvang, thanks for the link! I''ll watch them right now :-)

I. J. Thompson said:

Lowest initiative moves first, and fires last.

I''m sure that will work pretty well, but if it doesn''t, I suppose I can take the initiative system from Crimson Skies and apply it.