Baratheon - finally!

By Julia, in Battles of Westeros

Hi guys!

Great news from the land of Westeros front. Baratheon are coming! Here !

I've just seen the news, it made me salivate like Pavlov's dogs. I love the game and the new alliance mode will find quite a success with my gaming pals.

Hope that some publisher picks up the title here in Italy after Nexus went belly up, we still miss Tribes of the Vale and Brotherhood Without Banners.

golem101 said:

I've just seen the news, it made me salivate like Pavlov's dogs. I love the game and the new alliance mode will find quite a success with my gaming pals.

Yep! And finally we have Blackwater Bay. Finally. Julia's happy

awesome! I'm so thrilled about this. this is easily my favorite 'board' game and has been for over a year. I can't wait for more to follow! Greyjoy? I could see it....with a big naval map perhaps?

Really Great News aplauso.gif I was feeling that we might never see other Great Houses ,now I must up my painting schedule as I only have Core Stark,Wardens of the North done & about 2/3 of core Lannister.

OD

At least the confirms FFG did not forget about the game.

Thank you FFG.

I was losing hope but you made my day. Time to buy the clans and maybe even this strange brotherhood expansion.

I hope that after maybe a reinforcment expansion and probably a Tyrell alliance expansion there will be a scenario book It would bo so good if this was about to happen.

I wonder how will they resolve the naval battle and how many scenarios will we get? 3 or 10?

I only hope that the price won't be as high as for the core set .

But oh man EPIC BATTLES, never played battlelore but I heard that epic was the pinacle of fun in that game and at last up to 8 player multiplayer option. No more excuses in my gaming group.

Grandmikus said:

I wonder how will they resolve the naval battle and how many scenarios will we get? 3 or 10?

I only hope that the price won't be as high as for the core set .

I guess three scenarios for Blackwater. As for the price, it's kinda steep: 79.90 bucks. But the box seems to be pretty huge (110 minis!), and my faith is devoted to St. Amazon

Thats a very reasonable guess Julia. I could imagine 3 scenarios for blackwater. 1. The approach and landing. 2. The first assault on the city. 3. the arrival of Tywin. I'm sure there will also be say about 7 other scenarios as well.

The news item and "About" page for the game mentioned eight new Battle Plans and then also the first Epic Battle, a scenario in 3 parts, the Battle of the Blackwater. It's not clear if the 3 part scenario is in addition to the 8 Battle Plans, or what. But, there are 6 Unit types and 8 Leaders, so it looks like the whole army is there, no Wardens type splitting up of product. I think this is a genius move and sets the stage for further Army boxes, like Targaryen with Dragons or Greyjoy with a sea coast board. Oh, and the MSRP is 10 dollars lower than the Core Set. That also seems about right, as it will likely go for around 45-50 dollars online.

Great News!

I think I can discern Robert, Stannis, Melisandre and Brienne on the Leader cards. Renly is an obvious fifth commander. Who else? Davos? Ser Cortnay Penrose?

Rubinon said:

Who else? Davos? Ser Cortnay Penrose?

Davos for sure. The flavour text mentions 'sneaky smugglers' amongst the troupes...

I'm very excited for this expansion and those that follow. Any idea when this prodcut might be available based on past FFG release announcements? Q2 2012 is basically summer...but when I wonder?

This has definitely stirred me back to Battles of Westeros. I hate painting - sorry chaps - and I balked at Tribes plus Banners as they seemed just 'allies' to either Winterfell or Lannister. Now we have a brand new army which already seems up to strength and variety, and in what looks like a new colour. All this coupled with a complete new map board means a lot more variety. The 3 part Blackwater battle looks awesome! Double sized battlefields with multiplayers - this looks like a must buy. Just how long will we have to wait? Roll on Greyjoy + ships, Targaryan + Dragons, Dothraki, Wildings and even the White Walkers! Cheers!

vyrago said:

I'm very excited for this expansion and those that follow. Any idea when this prodcut might be available based on past FFG release announcements? Q2 2012 is basically summer...but when I wonder?

GenCon is in August *hint*

I saw Q3which is July through September, the middle of that quarter being GenCon. So I too figure that's the plan.

"Look for this massive Battles of Westeros expansion to arrive in the second quarter of 2012."

This news tipped the scales on me buying the core game. Seeing a fully fleshed out expansion as opposed to prior mini-expansions was a major factor for me. Kinda sad that my Tide of Iron is kind of in limbo…

Not sure if "mini-expansion" is really fair. This Baratheon product looks like more of a "mega-expansion". I really enjoyed the expansion products, and a good price too. This game is easily my favorite boardgame right now, my only small complaint is that its essentially a 2-player game.

I really hope we see more products, wether they are regular expansions or large box expansions. I really hope they do house Greyjoy, perhaps with a combination war-host and longship fleet? mmmmmmm!

I guess we just have different ideas for what an expansion should be. I'm thinking right along the lines of a Tide of Iron expansion, or maybe Company of Heroes level of content.

if it were my choice, i'd rather have multiple and frequent smaller expansions, than fewer and larger ones. I'm not complaining, any new products for this game are welcome!

vyrago said:

if it were my choice, i'd rather have multiple and frequent smaller expansions, than fewer and larger ones. I'm not complaining, any new products for this game are welcome!

Yeah, definitely, any new products are really welcome babeo.gif

Personally, I do really love both of them: small expansions creating detailed scenarios based on alliances, and big expansions introducing whole new armies from the major Houses. I'd love to see some Scenarios only expansions, in a sort of blender for all existitng expansions

I agree that some new 'official' scenarios would be nice. Perhaps even a scenario book that uses various expansions in different combinations. Of course, one can always make your own scenarios with the skirmish cards. For example, yesterday I played a scenario using both Wardens of the North and Tribes of Vale. We used the skirmish cards, but after we placed terrain there seemed an almost obvious route for a road. So we both agreed, placed the road and went about our battle. It was extremely close, with Mormont Shieldmaidens just narrowly holding the hills against a ferrocious attack by Lannisport Guard and Stone Crows. :)

Yeah i'm excited too about this expansion. It's probably gonna be the one and only expansion i'll buy for this game.

And Baratheon are cool! Great army addition!

SolennelBern said:

It's probably gonna be the one and only expansion i'll buy for this game.

Given that there are Tully, Clegane, and Tribes house markers in the set, I think we can be fairly sure that some of the scenarios will require units from the previous expansions.