Box expansion characters

By Guest, in Runebound

Do the other characters from Island, desert, or frozen. Blanace with the standard game? More specifically, do any of them have abilites that are not useful in the core game?

I heard some of the desert ones got abilities that affect desert encounters, but I don't have the desert box, so it's just what I heard

I can tell you that new Characters in Island of Dread Expansion set have general abilities.

They are fully compatible with the Base Game.

Some of them are fine, others look not well balanced to me (too weak). I'm not sure 'cause I have not tried all of them.

A quick glance at the heroes from Frozen Wastes shows some to have an "endurance" skill, which is not a skill found in the base game. I'm still waiting to play FW to see what else pops up. I think that Isles introduced the "Lore" skill (but I'd have to check that again). I cannot remember if Sands added any skills.

Sands introduced "Prophecy," if I'm not mistaken.

BD Flory said:

Yup, that is correct. Also: Lore.

Criminy. Two new characters that I can't use in the base game!

Necrozius said:

BD Flory said:

Sands also introduced the skill: Spot

Necrozius said:

BD Flory said:

You can still use all of the expansion characters in the base game. True, some will have skills not found in the base game (and thus not needed); however, that's no reason why they couldn't be used.

rcmoore said:

You can still use all of the expansion characters in the base game. True, some will have skills not found in the base game (and thus not needed); however, that's no reason why they couldn't be used.

No you're right. It just sucks using a character who has a skill that is useless in the base game. It is like playing with a handicap.

Necrozius said:

No you're right. It just sucks using a character who has a skill that is useless in the base game. It is like playing with a handicap.

Well, it's hard to say when even having only base game skills is all that great, as often one or more never see any use (or limited use at best). I have never thought that the skill set of a particular character are what make or break the game. It's all about the stats and special abilities in my mind, and most of those do work with the base game. I suspect that Midnight characters might have some abilities that are useful mostly or only in the Midnight expansion (I'd have to look at them again to see).

Many of the expansion decks do add challenges with "newer" skill sets included...at least I'm sure that some IoD skills appear (lore). Actually, I'd have to look into that more, since I can't really remember off the top of my head!