THE DREAMLANDS MESSENGER

By COCLCG, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

sitting up at 3am and trying to be original with my 3rd deck, so just for fun decided to make a yog-shub deck revolving around THE DREAMLANDS MESSENGER and VOICE OF THE JUNGLE. wish to see if this unique power is actually practical as it would seriously mess with anyones deck. so:

im thinking:

the forgotten explorer

doppelganger

for a 27:24 mix. will play for a bit and post final deck tomorrow. its very character heavy so will look for some more curses / non trigger spells.

sorry. stoopid thing wont let me edit otherwise id just start over. got there quicker than i thought. final-ish list is:

CHARACTERS: consisting of cheap / powerful / detrimental effect characters and cost = icons / passive effect characters

dreamlands messenger

the forgotten explorer

opener of the gate

faceless abductor

disciple of the gate

albino goatspawn

reawakened elder thing

reckless elder thing

ghoulish worshipper

bird demon

dhole ant lion

flying polyps

displaced cthonian

basilisk

yog sothoth

OTHERS:

voice of the jungle

thunder in the east

for a support, event and triggered effect free game!! thinking?? that if i dont have a thunder handy when the box gets blanked then the displaced cthonian will activate if in play to work towards removing it. which leads me to a question. are curse etc attachments now considered 'under your control' for the sake of support sacrifices?? if so then its simple. play the cthonion, play the voice of the jungle, if box blanked then sacrifice the attachment before the jungle. if its not considered 'under your control' it gets a bit harder and id swap back in flesh ward and a couple of other "buffer" supports.

if in playtesting its too high cost id swap in a doppelganger. but put it together and have a look at the icons youre playing with. its freakin ridiculous.

BTW has anyone also used a deck with forbidden shrine and altar of the blessed, cause thats like + millions of skill.

SWAPS (again with the editing)

forgotten explorer - doppleganger

bird demon - flesh ward

flying polyps - regeneration

displaced chtonian - grasping cthonian

THAT IS ALL!!

This is a neat idea, thanks for posting your deck. I'm glad to see you swapped out displaced Cthonian for Grasping Chthonian, as the forced support card destruction conflicted with your primary combo.

If you're looking to speed things up, you could use either Shocking Transformation or Under the Porch to bring out the Dreamlands Messenger early on. Perhaps include Priestess of Bubastis or One of a Thousand for their cost reduction and as a cheap sacrifice?

As you have Ghoulish Worshipper and Opener of the Gate, why not focus on a few more monsters to accelerate the deck and Yog? Some spells cards might also be nice in case Opener of the Gate doesn't last very long.

Good luck at the Australian Regionals in June!

how cool is it to finally use the dhole ant lion and the BASILISK!!!!!! (imagines a couple of basilisks and doppleganged basilisks running around the board) RAAAAHHH

the basilisk, ant lion, worshippers, both elder things and the goatspawn are all monsters to benefit from the worshippers and i think i can fit more but i vaguely remember an anti monster card somewhere within my quick perusals when i got the game so dont want to overdo it.

and heaps good idea about the shocking transformation. it gets used a lot doesnt it.

the displaced cthonian wouldnt actually destroy any supports unless the messenger got blanked, which is why i wonder if curses become "yours".

sorry about the disjointed posting. its the way my mind works. crazy ideas. no focus. and you guys would probably spit at the way my cards are scattered from one end of the apartment to the other. ha.

dont know which deck to take to the tournament now!! and i havent even given Hastur, Silver Twilight, Agency, Syndicate or Miskatonic a good look at yet so who knows what i might come up with. started with mono cthulhu, swung into cthulhu / Shub for my 2nd deck, now Shub / Yog for the 3rd.

also thinking of trashing Yog and Opener and bringing in Cthugha who also has a non effect special so no spells etc needed and can concentrate on the characters. (and the opener was annoying me with its 1 icon among the multitudes)

THANKS for the encouragement!!!

sweet. did you use the basilisk and doppleganger though??

or the ghoulish worshippers and monsters combo??

or chtugha and the elder things??

did you enter it in a tournament?? cause id really like to know how it went.

(im still claiming it as a deck for my use as i made it with no help)

not bad for a week old newbie though huh!

thanks for the reply!!!

also i do realise that this game has been going longer than the week ive been playing it so most of what i have to say will have already been put down in 'concept' form, but that is of course all that it is. i do appreciate people pointing out that my ideas are not 'original' in whole game terms, but they are my own original ideas, so i feel cool with using them.

Allrighty... your are probably crazy, But, I appreciate that.

Just for the heck of it, I rebuild your deck with some ghoul/monster respawn for some first round defensive build up against a very mean dark young bouncing/NPiT-Delay deck.

My adversary gave up in round 6 most of times. NPit even helped me.

Another try against a agency/day deck (quite similiar to the third place at gencon).

Raped again.

Final test against the winner deck of gencon.

Success, but you need to time your moves.

Worst enemy was a 'Deep-one/sacrifice' deck with the good old khopesh.

Could just win 3 of 5.

In the end, this is really a nasty one. Congrats to down under. If your are ever in germany, I owe you one.

if i'm not crazy, i'm well on my way there. haha.

have noone to play against so glad someone playtested this for me. i've never even got to play a game : ( otherwise i'd probably make a few tweaks myself.

so i'll call us even.

did you keep the basilisk and doppleganger??

did they ever get used and did they go well??

thanks for the reply too, not many people do.

i'm trying to build decks without the khopesh. i have no respect / am not impressed by people who use it as it is an easy way out for the unimaginative i believe. a monkey with an ipad could make a deck with it and win.

OH, and whats NPit please??

am now working on a sneaky little MISKATONIC / SILVER TWILIGHT deck for my 4th with a necronomicon / pnakotic manuscripts combo and professor armitage. pretty sure you can take the best character the opponent has to offer, and not only use it against them, but TRIPLE its icons and give them to another character of yours, though DOUBLE would probably suffice to give you a domain to spare. also toying with obsessive insomniac / scientific text and groundskeeper / sigil of the order working against each other to rip through the deck, and satchel of the void to start over again. i want to make it a fun theme deck of professor amitage in his house with all his tomes and trinkets, and the hired help (groundskeeper, housekeeper, chef, unscrupulous aquisitionist - who of course sourses all his tomes etc) all slowly going insane as he battles against dark forces.

i'm also really liking notebook sketches to get under the opponents skin. once in play, simply continually name the card that faction is using most often (it makes the khopesh a 6 cost card) and once you know what they have, then name that card to make duplicates beyond the reach of most domains. ie, if they play a 4 cost baddie that annoys you then switch to naming it and any duplicates then become 8 cost, leaving you only 1 copy to deal with. it can also take out most events beyond the first as it works from start of your turn through to start of your next turn when you just activate it again.

Yeah, I kept them.

My main pair was always the dhole ant lion with his new best friend (one of the) elder things which I could play for 2 or below each round thanks to 'Ghoulish Worshipper' and 'One of the thousand/Priestess of Bubastis'

Once the Dreamlands Messenger was in place, they are a really nasty bunch.

Used the Basilisk (I only have two cores) more for defensive actions, to oppress all enemy opposition.

I probably will put in all copies of 'Dampen Light' for a very cheap first round stun, because my perfect rounds looked always a lot like this:

Play "One of the Thousand/Priestess of Bubastis" --> use them to get 'Ghoulish Worshipper' out.

In opponents turn use 'Dampen Light' ---> no khopesh, no temple of R'lyeh in turn one (ok ,sewer rats with dreamlands fanatic could still work)

Play Dreamlands Messenger from hand or use 'Shocking Transformation' (very likely the last event in this game) ---> Some additional cheap gouls for defensive

Set the lock with 'Voice of the jungle' ---> bring out the good ones.

NPiT is of course: 'Negotium Perambulans in Tenebris', the restricted conspiracy card. Imagine what happens if your opponent plays this to 'delay' you...

mwah hahaha.

classic.

NPIT in your bum.

glad you liked. glad your using. glad your winning!!

the very first deck i played myself against with my 1st deck was the agency/day deck from gencon so my 2nd and 3rd decks were modelled to beat this one. cant wait to finally get a real game in but have to wait for the tournament.

carry on!!

BTW. did you ever dopplegang a cult of one thousand or ghoulish worshippers and do it that way? ive done some remodelling of the deck now that ive had some time for a closer look (i made and posted it in 15 minutes) and have included the cult but i have a personal aversion to 0 icon characters so hope to use the dopplegangers instead of the bubastis?? chick. just a personal thing.

Will you repost your modified deck?

I just took out the doppelgangers due to the high cost (with the well-protected discount crew, I pay never more than 3 for any character) and modified the deck towards the Nyarlathotep/Beings of Ib - Kombination, because they use only passive effects.

With 'Dreamlands Messenger-Voice of Jungle-Lock' in place your enemy can't use any triggered ability, no event cards and is forced to randomize his resourcing.

That should work.

might be my tournament deck so 'friend me' and ill post through

Done.

The main core is now set. I added just two copies of "Even here she dwells" to compensate (really bad) bad drawing.

I just now try either the Nyalartothep/Beings of Ib Variant or the Doppelganger/Halflings of D'haz tonight against various decks.

Cthuga works better for than Yog.

sent through

and yeah. yog was never gonna make it. when i posted the deck id simply gone through both factions and pulled out all the non effect / bad effect characters. the intitial prototype deck was around 40+ characters!!!

toned it down now with some sensible supports etc and got rid of some uselesses.

COCLCG said:

i do appreciate people pointing out that my ideas are not 'original' in whole game terms, but they are my own original ideas, so i feel cool with using them.

gui%C3%B1o.gif

I didn't mean to imply you didn't figure this out yourself. I mainly dug out my old thread because I remembered there was some dispute regarding what effects the Dreamlands Messenger's ability actually prevented. IIRC, the line of thinking was that e.g. Forced Responses were triggered by the 'game', not the player, and thus wouldn't be canceled. I disagreed with that notion, but it's never been officially clarified.

Back when I started the thread, some of the cards that help the Messenger weren't tournament-official yet. When creating my 'proto-deck' I found that too many cards were required to make it work.

I played around with four different deck ideas and went with the most promising. Starting next month (in preparation for the German Regionals) I'll reinvestigate those deck ideas to see if any of them work better with the current card pool.

no wuckin forries mate.

i dont read old forum posts because i dont want them 'tainting' the decks that i make, but its interesting to see things after ive made them.

the deck i finished up with rocks but there are some GLARING weaknesses to the whole affair, namely in 1 or 2 cards that can ruin a good thing.

cant be arsed working out how to fix them, cause now im onto my new deck. haha.

might come back to it. Australian regionals arent until june 3rd.

Don't know if the whole Dreamlands Messenger debate was resolved yet but if not I believe it is now. Damon responded and ruled that a player 'resolves' a Forced Response but does not 'trigger' it so the ability of DM does not apply to a Forced Response.

not sure thats gonna fly, though i appreciate the time put into this.

when i can point to the rulebook where it says:

a triggered effect is ANY effect with preceded by the following text in bold : Action , Disrupt , Response , or Forced Response.

then how can it be wrong?? let the dreamlands messenger free i say!! 100's of useless cards, let him not be one of them!! its a really hard combo to set up, and not half as powerful as the cack their bringing out now to ruin the game (reminds me of CCG days).

and oh! look! we have matching statistics!! haha.

I was going to play something like this at my regionals tomorrow … I asked of the the judge level players at my store and he didn't know if it was legal or not. He asked Damon via email, who replied that it was not legal. I assume at some point it will go in the FAQ

So, I guess that kills that combo.