My Two Cents

By player1083847, in Only War

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Yes, they're often depicted in a humorous light… but that's more to do with depicting the universe from the Orks' own perspective than anything else. 40k has always had elements of dark humour within it, so whether or not you view the Orks as fitting says something about the way you view the setting as a whole…

I'll disagree that it has more to do with depicting the universe from the Ork's own perspective. When the flame thrower scorcher is made with a trash can that's pretty objective and intentional. In my Gen Con Deathwatch game I used those Grot mini tanks (I guess they are 40k) to lead the charge across the bridge. I think one of those was made from a trashcan too. It was probably painted red to "go fasta." There's a fake 40k motivational poster that says " Orks were invented so crappy converters could feel good about their work." I think that pretty well represents the universal perception of who and what the Orks are. I think Ciaphus Cain has some elements of dark humor and that the Orks are beyond that.

I would agree that I do have my own way of viewing a setting in pretty much any game I play and I throw out or ignore the things that don't make sense to me or that I don't like. I imagine we all do that to some extent… gui%C3%B1o.gif