Thoughts on the new expansion

By Hobbesian, in Elder Sign: Omens

Yig is listed as normal. He's got a doom counter of 8 whilst needing 10 signs to seal his scaly ass away. He's a good short game option, but so far he doesn't FEEL much easier than Astharoth. Other than that Yig's campaign is a good way to break in newcomers to Omens (if not Elder Signs as a whole). The four investigators that come with the cthulhu pack are also a welcome boon, and none of them are weak links (though Harrigan might be slightly too powerful as long as he has access to yellow glyphs).

The Cthulhu campaign itself throws in some genuinely evil things -entry events? Ouch. So far however, loving the extra content and looking forward to more expansions in the future!

I like it, not that I found any real difficulty difference either.. And I yet have to try Cuthulhu..

Just found one difficulty changer..

Some adventures removes a doom tooken when succesfully completed.. Don't know if that change is in the Azathoth campaign too though..

One thing Im dissapointed in, is that they should have made new intro and ending videos that's more suitable to the GOO we are facing..

I just faild against Yig, and saw the "the entire world is eaten" film.. just as if I faild against Azathoth..

I think those are Yig-specific adventures, since you can rack Doom counters up fast if a lot of monsters spawn. And it looks like it *only* spawns monsters that count towards Yig's special "kill a cultist, gain a Doom" ability..

The basic Azathoth campaign has gotten harder; zero doubt about it.

I've gone from roughly a 50-percent win ratio to nine straight losses. I've never seen "Doom +3" come up so much." It's sort of ridiculous.

FFG will deny they've tweaked it, of course. But it was assuredly tweaked.

Loving the update so far. The Yig adventure gives a nice change of pace. Have not purchased the Cthulhu stuff yet, but will eventually. Was pleasantly surprised to see the graphics and images have more detail and are much crisper. Only small complaint is the game doesn't seem as fluid playing on my Droid 2 compared to pre update.

Nice job FFG.

Love the whole update. The free stuff and the Cthulhu campaign. I can only hope for more stuff. Well done, FFG.

I love the new expansion. But to say Cthulhu is "Very Hard' is an understatement. I beat Azathoth once to unlock "Rita Young." And I'm glad I did as her special ability is super-useful againts the Cthulhu missions. That being said, though, I've had 8 straight losses against Cthulhu. It SUPER-hard.

I might need to try and beat Yig just to build my confidence back. :)

One complaint though, Gloria Goldberg special ability is basically useless against Cthulhu as there aren't any "Other World" adventures in the second-stage of the campaign. It makes her an incredibly weak link.

Oh, and I didn't see the "remove doom token" option in the Azathoth game.

Some further thoughts, narrowly missed casing Azathoth earlier today (11 elder signs, R'lyeh open for 3 more, and Goldberg scuffed it despite a stack of clues, ARRGH).

Richards and Harrigan are actually useful. I'm a lot less keen on Marie Lambeau (3 trophies to wild a single glyph is painful, especially when you can buy clues for one trophy). Diana is useful for the Yig campaign to some extent (for some odd reason Yig's run is very monster heavy, so she generates clues by the bucket).

Yig is easier, slightly, it has remove doom missions which Azathoth does not, Cthulhu however has "Entry cost" missions which are brutal, bad enough spending a turn but now you have to pay either San, Stam or something else to start it AND there's the risk of failure too. Azathoth is -definitely- pulling more doom counters quicker now, so you can't afford to wait around, taking gambles now is something that's required, cue nail biting.

Once I've cracked Azathoth again and unlocked the first "prize" investigator I'll turn my attention on Cthulhu full time, as a side note, I -love- the idea of multi stage campaigns and would like to see more Omens based on that. A video to differentiate Azathoth and Yig eating the world would be a small "nice thing" but could be good for flavour.

Other than that, looking forward to more Lovecraft horror FFG!

I like the Cthulhu campaign a lot, and it's definitely very difficult. I haven't won yet in 3 tries, though I've come very close. Reminds me a little of the Catacombs variant I posted a while back on BGG, but also it's own thing.

I'm disappointed that they still have 3 doom token midnights, though, at least in Azathoth... I always thought that was too harsh and random. More steady 1-2 doomers would be better. Also, they didn't change the scoring system at all, which really needs an overhaul to be meaningful. But regardless, it's a great update, and the new investigators are really nice to have.

I'm still hoping for ally cards.. but all in all a great expansion and worth getting. I'll defiantly be picking up more as they make them... Black Goat please and Cthuga!

This is really what the 1st release should have been.

Um, I don't know what Azathoth you guys are fighting, but I am definitely seeing the remove doom token rewards against Azathoth (on Android). In fact, from what I can tell, they simply took all the adventures that used to have both an elder sign and a doom token as a reward and changed the doom token to a remove doom token.

I hope this is just a bug in the Android version or something, because it totally messes up the balance on those adventures (the iffiness of the reward was previously balanced by the fact that those adventures are all low-risk) and makes Azathoth super-easy (and I was already winning 90% before the update).

Some other differences in the update that I've noticed, other than the new content:

• Spells now cost 2 at the Entrance instead of 4.
  • One of the negative results at the Lost & Found has been replaced with a +5 trophies result. It might actually be worth using now.
  • Graphics are improved. In particular, the numbers on the investigation glyphs are much more readable now.
  • They've fixed the clock-advance save bug, where if you exited the app and then continued the game, the clock would fail to advance for that turn. That one used to drive me nuts, since I often play the game over a couple of sessions, and it felt like cheating.

I approve of all these changes. Has anybody noticed any others?

I like the fact that when the clock advances to midnight, there are varying effects now rather than just adding doom tokens or monsters. I've gotten "all adventurers lose 1 sanity" plus "the clock advances", makes it more like the board game. I did defeat Azathoth once in order to unlock the bonus investigator, but a crash and subsequent re-load caused me to lose her again. Just defeated Cthulhu and unlocked Leo Anderson.

So far I'm not seeing the increased rate of +3 doom tokens that TheDukester described either.

I don't think the game had gotten any harder. I still see no real difficulty beating Azathoth (not to mention Yig). I would have loved to see some added difficulty in this expansion but I guess we cannot be too needy. Nevertheless, I hope in the next expansion they will add something really nasty because I need the challenge. :)

I don't think the game had gotten any harder. I still see no real difficulty beating Azathoth (not to mention Yig). I would have loved to see some added difficulty in this expansion but I guess we cannot be too needy. Nevertheless, I hope in the next expansion they will add something really nasty because I need the challenge. :)

Buy the Chuthulhu expansion :)

I actually just realized my mistake. Because in the board game Cthulhu is easier than Azathoth, I naturally believed that it will be the same in Omens as well. Then I realized the "very hard" difficulty beside Cthulhu and I bought the expansion instantly. Since then I played two games and failed both of them, so now I am happy. challenge yaay! :D

Plus, I enjoy the new mechanics a great deal; they give a lot of extra dimension to the game. All in all, Cthulhu was a purchase well worth it. :)

You have not had problems with the Cthulhu expansion locking up your game? I can't complete it because it freezes.

I haven't, in fact I just beat it (third try). Played it on iPhone 4.

The final battle, by the way, is brutal. You either need an investigator with tons of equipment or simply dumb luck. I managed to get the second one. :)

maybe it's specific to the new iPad. Anyone with an iPad 2 try yet?

Everything works perfect on my iPad 2.

Did you complete the Call of Cthulhu campaign?

Peristarkawan said:

One of the negative results at the Lost & Found has been replaced with a +5 trophies result. It might actually be worth using now.

Except I think it's bugged. I've tried using L&F three times now and got -1 Sanity every time.

Also, the Cthulhu campaign is frankly cheating. I went into phase 2 with one Doom token, found all three amulets and discovered R'lyeh by the time I got my second, then failed Blotting Out The Stars five times in a row because I didn't roll a Terror in over 50 dice. I finally beat it, but it was replaced by Twilight Ritual and it was the last turn before midnight. It was the most comprehensive domination I've ever had over ES:O and I still lost by not succeeding when the chances of failure were 11,000-1 against - and that's not counting the odds of getting the one adventure that would instantly end the game.

Sure, I'll try again, but if I see something like this happening again I will be demanding a refund.