new player, 1st tourney, deck advice

By djtool, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

howdy,

I have been mucking about with my cards in an attempt to find something to take to the regional here. I'm not expecting to take it as I have a limited card pool (and never done this) but would like some thoughts on what is presented below in an attempt to improve it.

I cannot remember exactly what aslyum packs I have but please don't let that discourage you from suggesting a card as I might pick it up.

some of the cards below I will have in triplicate as I have a friend who is willing to loan me some from his core. I will still present the deck as-is. Please feel free to suggest something from core in three's.

Anyways....this is what i'm working with:

LONG DEAD PRINCE - 2
PERFORMANCE ARTIST - 2
VICTORIA GLASSER - 2
STEALTHY BYAKHEE - 2
DEMON LOVER - 2
BYAKHEE SERVANT - 2
CLOVER CLUB BOUNCER - 2
CLOVER CLUB SINGER - 2
ANARCHIST - 2
HARD CASE - 2
LADY LU CHU - 1
MR. DAVID PAN - 3
FIXER - 2
TYLER SCINDERE - 1
DISEASED SEWER RATS - 3

Characters - 30

THE GUZHENG - 2
POWER DRAIN - 2
BLIND SUBMISSION - 2
INFERNAL OBSESSION - 3
INTIMIDATE - 3
LOW BLOW - 2
FORCING THE TRUTH - 2
FEINT - 3
PARALLEL UNIVERSE - 2

Support/Event - 21

---------------

Yellow Cards - 21

Brown Cards - 22

Gray Cards - 8

This all started from an Agency/Syndicate deck where the skill interaction (apart from its inherent defensive value) fit well with shotgun blast, prize pistol, and the sewer rats. I thought it would be a nice blend of rush, defense, and removal. I've sinced moved to Hastur to completely clomp on the ability to "move across" (if you will) at my own disgression.

PRIMARY GOALS:

Gain investigation tokens every round

maintain a solid defense

have a modicum of removal (infernal and blind submission come off to me as a form of 'soft' removal)

CARDS:

Lady Lu Chu - just one in there to see if it has value

Tyler Scindere - same as above, like his high skill

Power Drain - I don't think I'll kick these up to 3 since I'll already have 3 performance artists. Thoughts?

Fixer - Since the infernal obsession and parallel universe cards are attachments I thought he'd be decent as a possible early character to play. He's not a lock

Cost 3 Characters - I didn't find too many I liked outside of fixer and Pan (of the cards I own that is). Liason and the extortionist (who basically is a 3-cost card) keep the exhausting going but offer next to nothing beyond that one turn. They seem better suited to a full blown rush deck or as support to a removal/skull-heavy deck. Of the Hastur ones I own I only liked the Servant as his 'fast' could help me maintain the upper-hand.

Cost 4 Characters - My current thought is that if the deck is working as intended then I shouldn't need these.

Thank you for your time,

Eric

oh i should mention that i've been considering adding DUTCH COURAGE (2 or 3). I thought that would bring me up to 7 - 9 cards that directly deal with removal attempts on me (no clue if that's a sufficient amount) as well as allowing me to take a hit to gain investigation tokens.

Thoughts on that?

I'm new too and only been fiddling with my deck (hee hee) for 3 days now. My very first entertainment was a SYNDICATE/HASTUR deck and it included the following.

SKILL RELATED

FRIEND OF THE FAMILY (synd)-4 remove 1 skill from all opposed characters at story EXPENSIVE GUITAR (synd)-0 a must zero cost support that adds 3 skill STRUNG UP (synd) 2 all opponents get -1 skill till end phase FIENT (neutral)-0 choose one character to get -2 skill and lose combat icon ELITE HIT SQUAD (synd)-3 a lower cost card that has 6 skill and action:pay 1 to get +1 skill and combat icon BRAZEN HOODLUM (synd)-2 characters at story without combat icon lose all skill TATTOO ARTIST (synd)-2 either +2 skill or -2 skill to chosen character TROPHY ROOM (synd)-2 add discarded characters as blank attachments and exhaust for +1 skill per attachment. gets more n more powerful as game goes on EYES IN A JAR (synd)-2 / SIGHT FOR SORE EYES (synd)-1 COMBO for opponent to play with hand revealed. you name a card in their hand for + 2 skill for every copy of named card in hand WHITE OUT (hastur)-2 choose character to lose all skill for phase DEMON LOVER (hastur)-2 for -2 skill to chosen character PARALLEL UNIVERSE (neutral)-1 check this out as attach to story for to have all struggles relate to skill. much cheaper than david pan and duplicates his ability without him being there.

INSANITY RELATED

ERICH ZANN (hastur)-3 choose character to go insane after struggle victory GRANNY ORNE (neutral)-1 destroy all insane characters when she enters play OLD MAN OF THE WOODS (hastur)-3 drive him insane to destroy an insane character ENCHANTED WOOD (neutral)-2 support and if have more dreamlands support than opponent then terror icons do not stop insanity SWEET DREAMS (hastur) - until end of phase terror icons do not stop insanity VICTORIA GLASSER (hastur)-2 when enters play choose character to go insane THE SIRENS OF HELL (hastur)-0 response after character goes insane destroy that character FINAL NOTE (hastur)-2 event that after you succeed at story destroy all insane characters. I like this one coupled with cards that multiply insanity checks and negate terror icons. If you can drive 2 or 3 characters inssane then destroy them, then yippee.

This is just a quick rundown of some cards to let you know whats out there. The combination and amount of each or none is totally up to you!! Its a bit useless in that I don't know off the top of my hat where these come from but research should prevail these. Hope this helps.

The plan was to use a lot of hastur cards that add TERROR struggles and conspiracies with multi TERROR struggles, nullify the opponents terror icon insanity immunity and relate all struggles to skill, then destroy all the insane characters that result. i LOVE my themes so named this deck the "CRIMINALLY INSANE DECK". i also fiddled with a syndicate/agency combo named the "WELCOME TO THE CLOVER CLUB DECK". A lot happens in that little gambling den...........

also if I ever played a syndicate deck I couldn't not include CLOVER CLUB BOOTLEGGER which is a card that can go into stories even when its exhausted for an every round contender.

I am not sure if this is the exact deck that Eric brought to the 2012 FFG regionals, but the one he did bring was very similar. He played this deck well and pounded my Cthulhu/Yog destruction deck twice at the tournament. From what I understand it went undefeated. Congrats again to Eric on the well earned win.

It will be fun to play against this deck again sometime soon and I pray that you won't have an answer to every play I make like you did at the tourney.

djtool said:

howdy,

I have been mucking about with my cards in an attempt to find something to take to the regional here. I'm not expecting to take it as I have a limited card pool (and never done this) but would like some thoughts on what is presented below in an attempt to improve it.

I cannot remember exactly what aslyum packs I have but please don't let that discourage you from suggesting a card as I might pick it up.

some of the cards below I will have in triplicate as I have a friend who is willing to loan me some from his core. I will still present the deck as-is. Please feel free to suggest something from core in three's.

Anyways….this is what i'm working with:

LONG DEAD PRINCE - 2
PERFORMANCE ARTIST - 2
VICTORIA GLASSER - 2
STEALTHY BYAKHEE - 2
DEMON LOVER - 2
BYAKHEE SERVANT - 2
CLOVER CLUB BOUNCER - 2
CLOVER CLUB SINGER - 2
ANARCHIST - 2
HARD CASE - 2
LADY LU CHU - 1
MR. DAVID PAN - 3
FIXER - 2
TYLER SCINDERE - 1
DISEASED SEWER RATS - 3

Characters - 30

THE GUZHENG - 2
POWER DRAIN - 2
BLIND SUBMISSION - 2
INFERNAL OBSESSION - 3
INTIMIDATE - 3
LOW BLOW - 2
FORCING THE TRUTH - 2
FEINT - 3
PARALLEL UNIVERSE - 2

Support/Event - 21

---------------

Yellow Cards - 21

Brown Cards - 22

Gray Cards - 8

This all started from an Agency/Syndicate deck where the skill interaction (apart from its inherent defensive value) fit well with shotgun blast, prize pistol, and the sewer rats. I thought it would be a nice blend of rush, defense, and removal. I've sinced moved to Hastur to completely clomp on the ability to "move across" (if you will) at my own disgression.

PRIMARY GOALS:

Gain investigation tokens every round

maintain a solid defense

have a modicum of removal (infernal and blind submission come off to me as a form of 'soft' removal)

CARDS:

Lady Lu Chu - just one in there to see if it has value

Tyler Scindere - same as above, like his high skill

Power Drain - I don't think I'll kick these up to 3 since I'll already have 3 performance artists. Thoughts?

Fixer - Since the infernal obsession and parallel universe cards are attachments I thought he'd be decent as a possible early character to play. He's not a lock

Cost 3 Characters - I didn't find too many I liked outside of fixer and Pan (of the cards I own that is). Liason and the extortionist (who basically is a 3-cost card) keep the exhausting going but offer next to nothing beyond that one turn. They seem better suited to a full blown rush deck or as support to a removal/skull-heavy deck. Of the Hastur ones I own I only liked the Servant as his 'fast' could help me maintain the upper-hand.

Cost 4 Characters - My current thought is that if the deck is working as intended then I shouldn't need these.

Thank you for your time,

Eric

One minor change I made to my tournament deck was replacing The Guzheng with The Stygian Eye - it's much more effective, imho, unless your deck really relies on cards reducing skill.

jhaelen said:

One minor change I made to my tournament deck was replacing The Guzheng with The Stygian Eye - it's much more effective, imho, unless your deck really relies on cards reducing skill.

I think Eric agrees as I never saw the Guzheng in play, but I am pretty sure I got hit with a stygian eye (though I may be mistaking it for an infernal obsession.)

Not trying to answer for him, just relating what I saw.