Deck formats once Core Set is out

By mikelosaurus2, in CoC General Discussion

Given what's happened with the AGOT LCG tournament formats, I wonder what changes will be made to the CoC LCG once the CoC Core Set is out? I assume, like AGOT, there will be a 'Legacy' format and a 'Asylum-Pack-Only' format? I wonder how viable it would be to make competitive decks using only the cards from Asylum packs? Will the Legacy format be 'Highlander' style? Has anyone given any thought to this?

ive given some thought but im not sure if the same will happen to coc.

for one we never had a standard/classic thing. all cards were standard legal.

second coc has a smaller card pool. if they did this we would have very few cards to play with. it would be just like if only the arkham set was out, pretty much. agot has 214(5K)+120(1st chapter)+180(core)=over 500 cards, plus the new chapter stuff. our coreset is 155+80(asylum packs)+40(1st chapter(only two packsvs their 6)=270 plus the second chapter set. i guess you could count our 4 ap and our two new chapter packs as 120, and that would equal agot first chapter set. but the numbers wont change.

so we have half of what agot. and the new chapter sets will give each game 20 more per set.

and i think a major third we have going in our favor, that agot has been reprinting cards since forever, so ffg could decide which cards to keep around. we have never seen a reprint, to keep a card 'standard' legal, cause it was never needed.

and maybe a moot 4th point agot has always had a 3x deck limit, but we just moved to that to balance/slow down the game. my impression was this was done to make the old less powerful against the new....

Sorry, I really see it coming to CoC as well. Card pool size is evidently not terribly important as a deciding factor for FFG as evidenced by the rotation of everything previous to the Chapter Packs that came out last Spring. All the 5KE cards are gone as well. All we have are the first cycle of chapter packs (120) plus the Core (180) for 300 cards. Not that big of a difference between that and the 270 that you say CoC would have.

Also, as far as reprints go, haven't we been told that the CoC Core set is almost exclusively reprints?

I kind of agree. I think CoC will do like M:tG did early on. There will be an Open format where all cards are legal and there will be a 2nd format where only the new stuff is legal.

they might make a distinction between standard/classic for coc but i dont think we will see the classic being highlander only or whatever that crazy thing was for agot.

i checked tzumia site and it had 5k listed as standard, so thats my bad. i just assumed.

The communication we received so far on the Core Set are that the cards have a different back, but can be used with older cards when using sleeves. So far no mention of any rotation, only hints to the opposite. So, I expect the old cards to being legal for quite some time. AGoT started a long sooner and took quite more time to get sets, while the CCG version of CoC lasted 2 blocks. Core Set mainly deals with reprints, so that also limits the amount of cards that would "rotate out" making a rotation an excersise in futility. And I saw the webshop still has CCG product on stock, so...

Btw, I think FFG is going to "split" card pool in Coc as they did in Agot. maybe as you said (marius) it'll take some time (I'm not sure about it) but it's going to happen.

Highlander format is weird with the domains/resource mechanic (in Agot you do not "lose" a card per turn to play stuff) and a Classic 3x format is more logical.

But the biggest difference between the two LCGs is that in Agot's Core set you have four 52 cards decks, that're already playable with a dozen of more cards.

In CoC we'll have 155 different playable cards (this is what someone said in the old forums) and it doesn't give any chance to build up a consistent deck for someone who picks up just Aps and Core Set.

Marius said:

Core Set mainly deals with reprints, so that also limits the amount of cards that would "rotate out" making a rotation an excersise in futility.

And where did we find this lil nugget? I don't remember reading about there being ANY reprints. Most of us had hoped a lot of cards would be reprinted, cuz we need it, but nothing was said officialy to my knowledge.

Dwnhmcntryboy said:

I don't remember reading about there being ANY reprints.

There was the picture of card - cthulhu -with no steadfast (I think...)

Why should they reprint only ONE card???

Was it a reprint or a different version?

It was a reprint with white boarder... preocupado.gif

its a reprint for the most part the loyal part was removed. it is the arkham edition cthulhu.

Well that is way cool. Let's hope they reprint most of the cards that have been errated. I would be stoked.

Dwnhmcntryboy said:

Well that is way cool. Let's hope they reprint most of the cards that have been errated. I would be stoked.

this card hasnt been errata until the new card comes out. but i agree the most played cards that have been errata should see a reprint i think.

PearlJamaholic said:

its a reprint for the most part the loyal part was removed. it is the arkham edition cthulhu.

If the card is no more loyal, it's a different card.

If I play a Cthulhu from the arkham edition, I must play it like loyal or the card must be errated to be played like the Cthulhu of coreset?

Dadajef said:

If I play a Cthulhu from the arkham edition, I must play it like loyal or the card must be errated to be played like the Cthulhu of coreset?

Once Core Set releases, the card with the same title and subtitle is effectively errataed. The new card is leading. It's just like, say, playing a French version of a card that got functionally different through translation, the newest English version is still leading.

Just so you guys know, I'm pulling from the AGoT community here, but I fully expect it to play out the same way for CoC... :(

We wound up with Mega-Rotation via a State of the Game announcment one month after a special State of the Game announcement assured us that rotation and Tournament formats would proceed as previously established.

Reprints of old cards with any change whatsoever (For instance the "Street" cards gainging the "Limited" keyword, much like Cthulhu losing the "Loyal" keyword) have to be treated as completely new cards, and any copies with the old version are not legal for play outside of Legacy. :(

OK ...

But it's still just legal version, for tournaments ...

If players used to play home with their old cards, why would they change ?

I don't mind, if both players are ok on this point. And I would be drastic for tournaments however : Just legal cards ...

Kennon said:

Reprints of old cards with any change whatsoever (For instance the "Street" cards gainging the "Limited" keyword, much like Cthulhu losing the "Loyal" keyword) have to be treated as completely new cards, and any copies with the old version are not legal for play outside of Legacy. :(

Well, it's up to servitors to protest and ignore such ruling.

Marius, sounds to me like you are already planning a revolt to buck the system. gui%C3%B1o.gif I get your point though and agree whole heartedly.

Well as a Servitor you can always decide what to do...its your meta after all. Still I dont see it logical that everyone that has 3 or 4x Cthulhu with loyal should get it 3 times again in new...its more then enought to put one new copy for reference and thats it. Or so I would rule it.

lordofmasks

Dwnhmcntryboy said:

Marius, sounds to me like you are already planning a revolt to buck the system. gui%C3%B1o.gif I get your point though and agree whole heartedly.

I'm pretty much am in an activistic mood lately, in general. :D ;)

Kennon said:

Just so you guys know, I'm pulling from the AGoT community here, but I fully expect it to play out the same way for CoC... :(

We wound up with Mega-Rotation via a State of the Game announcment one month after a special State of the Game announcement assured us that rotation and Tournament formats would proceed as previously established.

I think Cthulhu is going to get the same treatment as Game of Thrones.

First, why wouldn't they streamline both LCGs using the same model?

Second, the blowout sale they are advertising has booster boxes of non-LCG product for $25. If the old sets were going to go on as before, they would have no reason to offer such a huge discount. Note that the Game of Thrones booster boxes are getting the same treatment. I think they are selling to get rid of what's left from their warehouse, as they move to LCG and Legacy tournament formats.

Playing casually with friends will not change one bit, but the tournament setup is a-changin' and as often seems to happen, the Cthulhu players hear about long after it has been established in Game of Thrones.

in Poland we have decided, that we will have 2 formats -

(after any given rotation)

main - all cards (execpt banned cards)

second format - the one that ffg will make (like WB only)

Our CoC main tournaments will be held using the 1 format, while the second will be for side events.

Even if FFG doesn't do a 2 format system I dont see why servitors couldnt take it upon themselves to do it,