A new sector?

By Stinger, in Only War

Anyone know if Only War will be set in a new sector? It's not like stories about the IG can't be set anywhere in the Imperium of course. Just that we've gotten a new sector or area of space out of each of the 40K RPGs to date and I'd be a little disappointed if we didn't get a new playground with this release.

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a new sector (or sector-sized area) for the guard to battle over. While Only War *could* be set in the Jericho Reach, that seems quite redundant. The only trick is if FFG want to link this new area to the existing four (all linked through the Maw).

Perhaps a historical setting? The Angevin Crusade into the Calyx Expanse battling the servants of the Yu'vath would be fantastic. But I suspect not.

Honestly I think it will be the Jericho sector. It makes perfect sense based on the current game line-up for the license.

Decessor said:

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a new sector (or sector-sized area) for the guard to battle over. While Only War *could* be set in the Jericho Reach, that seems quite redundant.

The only trick is if FFG want to link this new area to the existing four (all linked through the Maw).

Perhaps a historical setting? The Angevin Crusade into the Calyx Expanse battling the servants of the Yu'vath would be fantastic. But I suspect not.

I agree that setting it in the Jericho Reach would be redundant.

A historical setting would be interesting though probably unlikely. Looking forward to seeing what they do regardless.

I'd almost prefer continuing in the Jericho sector as I've got so much material for it already.

I'd like a new Sector, too. I like setting material.

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and guess that it will be a new sector. Perhaps in the "Margin Crusade" that went missing, leading to the secret crusade into the Jericho Reach?

Lightbringer said:

I'd like a new Sector, too. I like setting material.

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and guess that it will be a new sector. Perhaps in the "Margin Crusade" that went missing, leading to the secret crusade into the Jericho Reach?

I kind of agree with this. A new sector would be cool and if for no other reason than that the Orks might get a chance to play a part as a major antagonist.

If FFG are being really cruel to the guard, the setting could be "dread Mandragora". gui%C3%B1o.gif

Decessor said:

If FFG are being really cruel to the guard, the setting could be "dread Mandragora". gui%C3%B1o.gif

Snap. That was my first thought.

Of course, the truth is that Mandragora is an idyllic and untroubled sector, and they're so afraid of everyone trampling in from the surrounding cesspits and ruining it, they never speak of the place without afixing some fearsome adjective.

If it is a new sector, Mandragora would be very cool.

I would be for having the orks as main ennemy in OW: The Eldars were done in RT, Tau and 'Nids in DW, DH got a lil' bit of everything, BC got Necrons and (Dark) Eldars, we need a game where Da Boyz iz figthin' lotz, plus the opportunity for dark, offensive humour, crazy schemes, odd machinery and good ol' fashionned bloodbaths are at a all time high when Orks are involved.

Doubled the Orks with the Imperial Guard, it,s a game winner right there.

I would love to see them set it in the Sabbat Worlds.

A new sector (where orcs are the main enemy) would be great, but I would also be happy with them using Only War to fill in details about Calixis, Koronus and Jericho. FFG should look to Forge World for inspiration, for example, they could have Warzone:Tranch as a supplement and detail the conflict and orders of battle similar to Siege of Vraks. That line of splats would never get old.

You read my mind lord kruge(which may be a bad sign health wise) I'd love to see the war worlds in these three sectors fleshed out.Tranch especially as I think it has an interesting(well to me anyway) story and take on the 40k universe.But I expect a new sector to be honest.

What about the Ixaniad Sector? It's right next door to Calixis, and there's a lot of hints in the earlier DH publications about it (the Meritech Wars is one example). As far as the Margin Crusade is concerned, it tanked. It still (and only) exists "on paper" so the powers-that-be have an excuse to shunt resources into the Jericho Reach. Another possibility is something new revealed about/within the Hecaton Rifts in the Koronus Expanse. We know Kobras Aquire was chasing after something there...maybe he returns with a dire warning and it's time to shore up what defenses can be mustered in the Expanse, lest the Imperium lose their only inroad to the Jericho Reach. The Jericho Reach has been done, so I don't see OW going there...too redundant. GMs with half a brain can do that on their own. You want Sabbat Worlds Crusade stuff it can be found in the the tubes of the interwebs, and that's IP that GW won't relinquish.

@Alekzanter

Yup, Ixaniad sounds somewhat likely indeed - assuming of course that the warzone we play in has already been mentioned somewhere.

I would be pleased to see a new sector that has just been found and now their are several vying factions waring over the new planets. Anything from a feudal worlds to death worlds, it would be great to give a new sector life. I for one would use that to my advantage and fill it with rich devastation, tactics, objectives and rogue trader like endeavors. I picture gritty and noir worlds where the Guard are just hanging on for control and within the balance only the Guard can push back Xeno forces. Planetary Governors are radicals and could turn on the Imperium at a moments notice and they secretly hold treaty with xenos. I would implement cold trade into this sector and above all else give us a starting package of heavy weaponary such as stubbers, cannons and things to create a battlefield effect.

If a new sector, perhaps either the Scarus- or Ixaniad- sectors as hinted in DH Core on the map of the Inperium. Perhaps it is time that one of these two to be explored...

If not, I can see more fluff on worlds such as 47 Kapella, The Purge of Avitohol, Gelmiro and the similar (which were hinted in the Inquisitor's Handbook) in the outer regions of the Calixis Sector.

As with Black Crusade, can see the potential for crossovers amidst the WH40K RPG line

Rictus said:

If a new sector, perhaps either the Scarus- or Ixaniad- sectors as hinted in DH Core on the map of the Inperium.

It's worth noting that the Scarus sector has been explored, to some extent - it's the setting for Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn and Ravenor stories, and was used again by Forgeworld in the Siege of Vraks books.

Has the Ixaniad Sector ever been covered, or just sort of alluded to?

BYE

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Rictus said:

If a new sector, perhaps either the Scarus- or Ixaniad- sectors as hinted in DH Core on the map of the Inperium.

It's worth noting that the Scarus sector has been explored, to some extent - it's the setting for Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn and Ravenor stories, and was used again by Forgeworld in the Siege of Vraks books.

Okay, thanks for reminding me about Eisenhorn N0-1_H3R3, almost forgot about the omnibus having background on the Scarus Sector (never got round to the Ravenor series - plumped for the Night Lords and the Blood Gorgons instead). So that leaves the Ixaniad Sector...

Reckon the setting fluff in OW will follow a similar pattern to BC - detailing hotspots in and around the Calixis Sector, the Koronus Expanse and then the meat grinder which is the Jericho Secotr (oops!...The Margin Crusades), before getting down to the gritty with the new region/secotr in which OW is set. Could be the Ixaniad Sector or a totally new region - if the amount of effort which went into BC is put into OW it should be good!

@Adeptus Stormicus

You've just described the Jericho Reach.

@H.B.M.C.

Ixaniad has been mentioned in Disciples of the Dark Gods with the Logicians. The Meritech Clans that were somewhere in the borders between Ixaniad and Calixis attacked both sectors and almost managed to ignite them in war.

I hear a lot of people wanting to throw the IG folk into the Jericho area, and with some adaptation that can always happen for people who have the DW books. But I would be worried about being outshined too often by Space Marines.

I would love to see some info on the fighting men and women of the 41st who hail from Calixis and Koronus (fighting next to Ork freebooters and Kroot mercs? By the God-Emperor, yes please!!), and some lost platoons from the Screaming Vortex or fighting in tandem with Marines in Jericho, I really want to see a new place that helps focus on the themes of OW more than the other places do. I think there will be some background choices in the player book (the Drusus adherent? straight port. Malfian recruit? thah'd be pretty rad), I'm interested in seeing new places and people, new conspiracies and aliens. Some more new stuff, like the Rak'ghol or the Yu'vath were for RT (or were they? IDK).

When it comes to enemies, who does everyone think OW will focus on? Like Orks, Eldar, 'Nids, Necrons, etc. I noticed a growing trends in the 40k lines that one represents a kind of blind rage or hunger, a simple enemy where there are no qualms fighting them (Tyranids, Rak'ghol, and Necrons I think), while others are pretty close to who the players are (Eldar are more man than they like to admit, Orks are a funny mirror of mankind's desire for bloodshed, reflecting the similarities of the tyrant Imperium and the shallow "greater good" of the communist Tau). Of course Chaos is always an enemy, or the Imperium in the BC series, so there'll be that, And I'd love to make a game that crosses OW and BC, it'd be like Rebels vs the Empire, but a much darker Rebellion. Sorry, getting off topic now.