One Deck to Rule Them All!

By gatharion, in Strategy and deck-building

What's the one deck you've had the most success with for a variety of quests?

Lately I've been playing a deck that uses Eowyn, Elrohir, and Elladan and it's been doing pretty well in solo games against most things I've throne at it.

I have not beaten:

Escape from Dol Goldur- I can't hardly fathom this being beaten in solo play with any deck without a great deal of luck.

Journey to Rhosgobel- I didn't try this one. Since there aren't any healing affects in the deck (except for Rhadagast), I just know that victory would require some pretty phenomenally lucky pulls from the encounter deck and that point it's more dumb luck then any success of the deck.

Massing at Osgilioth- I don't own it, but from what I've heard, Elrohir and Elladan would be pretty good on that quest.

I've had a lot of success with my Aragorn/Theodred/Eowyn deck. Like yours, it stumbles on Escape from Dol Guldur and A Journey to Rhosgobel (no lore), but Massing At Osgiliath is actually one I have a lot of success with (deck started with me trying to beat it). I don't really like the "making a deck for a specific quest" deal, however I've been working on modifying this one to handle the two I can't quite get past. Maybe eventually I'll have one that can handle them all. gui%C3%B1o.gif

And I just re-read your original post, I didn't see you didn't own Massing. You're probably right about Elladan kicking ass and taking names, there's a lot of multiple enemy engagements where he would be awesome.

I always build up deck with idea to play against all quest.

My best deck for now is Glorifindel, Bilbo, Frodo. This deck can win against any quest (except Dol-Guldor).

Idea to make certain deck against certain quest sounds like cheeting for me but now is doesn matter anymore cose i tired to wait for tourny system.And now who really care what to play and how to play cose you anyway play home only and can do what you want anyway!

A Journey to Rhosgobel is the only time that I've felt that I really had to tailor a deck to meet the demands of a specific quest.

I do like the quest though, because it's so different from all the others.

gatharion said:

A Journey to Rhosgobel is the only time that I've felt that I really had to tailor a deck to meet the demands of a specific quest.

I do like the quest though, because it's so different from all the others.

AJTR is almost impossible to win without Lore. Lore of Imadris is key card for win. Without this card you will lose most of the time.....I mean for solo game.

Last week I really started to like my Eowyn, Dunhere, Theodred combo for Hills of Emyn Muil and another quest I can't remember. Amping up Dunhere's attack and giving him Unexpected Courage allowed him to throttle enemies in the staging area. I was able to keep my threat very well managed which meant I could pick and choose enemies I wanted to engage (which rarely happened bc they didn't make it out of the staging area). Having Northern Tracker and Lorien Guide helped questing tremendously.

Glaurung said:

My best deck for now is Glorifindel, Bilbo, Frodo. This deck can win against any quest (except Dol-Guldor).

Idea to make certain deck against certain quest sounds like cheeting for me but now is doesn matter anymore cose i tired to wait for tourny system.And now who really care what to play and how to play cose you anyway play home only and can do what you want anyway!

I am curious if your deck is able to hold its ground against Watcher in the Water.

leptokurt said:

Glaurung said:

I am curious if your deck is able to hold its ground against Watcher in the Water.

I'm sure at least some of the time it'll win. It has a high enough questing to get past the first stage, and Bilbo's card draw is going to give him more letter options for the Doors of Durin. It's unlikely he can kill the Watcher with a Lore/Spirit deck with any consistency (I could be wrong, but neither has much in terms of combat), so he has to luck out on the Doors, but I think it'd work with a decent success rate.

leptokurt said:

Glaurung said:

I got WITW today. Soi will try my deck against this quest tonight. But difficult 5 is already say everything. 5 is 5 in not 6 or 7. So anyway is will be easy.

My dream is all quest should start from difficult level 6

I play against Wacher already. 134 my best result for now. Is quite high scores but i still win most of the games. Yes is more difficult then RTR but RHG is still better in my choice. In previous Lotr from Decipher Wacher was a stupid card no one play him never. And here is also not really exiting. But still better then RTR is already good. Hope Long dark and next 3 quest will be better.

Glaurung said:

I play against Wacher already. 134 my best result for now. Is quite high scores but i still win most of the games. Yes is more difficult then RTR but RHG is still better in my choice. In previous Lotr from Decipher Wacher was a stupid card no one play him never. And here is also not really exiting. But still better then RTR is already good. Hope Long dark and next 3 quest will be better.

I think that Redhorn Gate is probably the best quest published so far, but I also grow fond of TWitW. For me it's one of those quests that get better the more you play it - and it encourages the use of the tactics sphere. I have no clue how you beat the Watcher without Boromir - I guess you try to open the door instead of fighting the Watcher, but what do you do with all the enemies? Frodo can take some of the damage, and the rest is healed by lore cards?

Ok, I have an idea what the answer might be. Might try a lore/spirit deck soon, but right now I have tons of fun with Boromir and Loragorn.

leptokurt said:

Glaurung said:

I think that Redhorn Gate is probably the best quest published so far, but I also grow fond of TWitW. For me it's one of those quests that get better the more you play it - and it encourages the use of the tactics sphere. I have no clue how you beat the Watcher without Boromir - I guess you try to open the door instead of fighting the Watcher, but what do you do with all the enemies? Frodo can take some of the damage, and the rest is healed by lore cards?

Ok, I have an idea what the answer might be. Might try a lore/spirit deck soon, but right now I have tons of fun with Boromir and Loragorn.

Actually i agree with you. Anyway second cycle is better then first one only RTR is little bit dissapointed.

I didn have big problem with tentacles cose i can defend against them with Bilbo (Fast hitch,protector of Lorien+Arwen one more defense).

Most of the forced effect work when you attack tentacles so im just leave them engage and build up my force.

On the second quest card you shuffle all tentacles back and then you need mostly is : G S or T. So you discard 4 cards and most of the time i open the door.

Then you quest with protector of lorien and you win. Also i can use Forest snare on Watcher and he is no problem anymore.

Yes i can even kill Watcher if i have Haldir, Gildor and Gandalf +Sneak attack and even try to make both: Kill him and Open the door but is more difficult.

I come to 121 points now is the best result.

About Nightmare.

Now we play Nightmare mode RHG and RTR cose those 2 adventures link together. You bring Arwen back home!

And then RTR is cool!

Otherwise if is more difficult then 4 no possible to play it after RHG. We don reset wound, Threat and discard pile. Dont use Will of the West and Beravur.

Really, really cool experience. We try 3 times and always lose on the first stage of RTR. But game is really amazing in this mode. You must really think and really work together. Now i understand why they make it difficult 4. If is 5 or 6 there is no chance to make as a nightmare after RHG.

I suggest to try it. Sure you will like it.

Boromir and Laragorn??? Sounds really cool! You have secrecy deck? only 2 heroes? Good idea!!! I want to try it!

Glaurung said:

leptokurt said:

Glaurung said:

Actually i agree with you. Anyway second cycle is better then first one only RTR is little bit dissapointed.

I didn have big problem with tentacles cose i can defend against them with Bilbo (Fast hitch,protector of Lorien+Arwen one more defense).

Most of the forced effect work when you attack tentacles so im just leave them engage and build up my force.

On the second quest card you shuffle all tentacles back and then you need mostly is : G S or T. So you discard 4 cards and most of the time i open the door.

Then you quest with protector of lorien and you win. Also i can use Forest snare on Watcher and he is no problem anymore.

Yes i can even kill Watcher if i have Haldir, Gildor and Gandalf +Sneak attack and even try to make both: Kill him and Open the door but is more difficult.

I come to 121 points now is the best result.

About Nightmare.

Now we play Nightmare mode RHG and RTR cose those 2 adventures link together. You bring Arwen back home!

And then RTR is cool!

Otherwise if is more difficult then 4 no possible to play it after RHG. We don reset wound, Threat and discard pile. Dont use Will of the West and Beravur.

Really, really cool experience. We try 3 times and always lose on the first stage of RTR. But game is really amazing in this mode. You must really think and really work together. Now i understand why they make it difficult 4. If is 5 or 6 there is no chance to make as a nightmare after RHG.

I suggest to try it. Sure you will like it.

Boromir and Laragorn??? Sounds really cool! You have secrecy deck? only 2 heroes? Good idea!!! I want to try it!

No, no secrecy deck, Glorfindel is with those two. I don't think they work against enemies with a threat of 12. Boromir holds off the tentacles, Glorfindel and Loragorn quest mostly, and Daughter of the Nimrodel heals Boromir. I have some Vassalls of the Windlord and Veteran Axehands to increase my attack value so that I can kill the Watcher. I also have tons of cards that allow me to manipulate the encounter deck so I can also pass the Door.

I'm playing a lore/spirit (Loragorn, Bilbo, Frodo) deck right now and already used the combo you mentioned. Works pretty well, although it gets tough when there are too many tentacles in the beginning (and you get robbed your resources every round; man I waited to play Daughter of the Nimrodel for about five rounds!). It's more fun to turn the game into a slaughterhouse though.

I will try your nightmare scenario once I'm tired of TWitW. If you want another challenge, play RHG as usual, but with the East Gate starting in the staging area and without its effect (so that enemies can attack you).