Favourite combos

By COCLCG, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

Hi guys. I'm new here. New to the game but not to the genre (played RPG in the 80's). Bought it a week ago and haven't played yet but been looking through the decks and have devised a few combos. They're probably not new. Someone would have thought of them sooner I'm sure but everyone seems so hush hush keep a secret about things. The amount of views compared to comments gives me the impression of ferrety little gamers sneaking peeks at what others are saying and slinking back to their own decks. HAHA. C'mon guys. Talk. I can't find any people that play in my area so Tournaments will probably be my only opportunity to have a crack. Of course I won't give you the little tidbits I use in what will be my competition deck, but here's a couple for you. Let me know what you think!!

GHATANOTHOA (Cthulhu)-6 / WRITTEN IN THE SKY (Neutral)-1

This combo allows you to play the ancient one and then play the 1 cost neutral to grab another copy of him out of the deck. Then use his special action to reveal the 2nd copy from your hand, Destroy a non-ancient character and shuffle the 2nd copy back into the deck.

GUARDIAN OF THE KEY (Yog-Sothoth)-2 / DISC OF ITZAMNA (Miskatonic)-2

My personal favourite. The support Disc protects the Gaurdian from trigger effects and the Guardian cancels effects that target support cards. haha. Sit the combo back in your line up and all your supports are protected. Your opponent can't touch the Guardian and if he wants to cancel any support cards including attachments AND locations, he needs to drain 2 domains and have 2 trigger effects that effect supports. Nasty.

THIS LAST ONE I WILL JUST EXPLAIN

TWILA KATHERINE PRICE (Miskatonic)-3 can commit to a story un exhausted with a DREAM DIARY (Miskatonic)-2 or un exhaust with BLASPHEMOUS DREAMS (Neutral)-2, then exhaust to resolve a story effect if it's night (TERRORS IN THE DARK (Neutral)-2 / THE SETTING SUN (Neutral)-1). If you've played THE RITUAL CONSPIRACY (Conspiracy)-0 previously that's a 10 card discard right there. OUCH. Long winded but very very dangerous. If you've juiced up the Conspiracy with ACADEMIC OBFUSCATION (Miskatonic)-2 to add 2 required successes and/or DREAMING OF THE PAST (Miskatonic)-1 negates 5th Success once then she should get 2 or 3 cracks at doing this. OUCH OUCH OUCH where did my deck go???? 30 discards later. You do need a Yog-Sothoth character in play to activate the 10 card loss so this is for a Miskatonic/Yog-sothoth combo. WHICH MEANS YOU CAN ALSO HAVE THE GUARDIAN/DISC COMBO TO PROTECT THE STORY ATTACHMENTS!!!

In the muck around deck I made for this i had Miskatonic/Yog-Sothoth/Cthulhu so also had DARK QUAGMIRE (Cthulhu)-2 attached which removes a success every turn and MIDNIGHT RENDEVOUS (Cthulhu)-2 also attachable to give the required night instead of the Neutrals which also cancels Investigation successes. That Conspiracy is there to stay!!! As I said it takes a bit to set up and UNSPEAKABLE RESEARCH (Miskatonic)-4 to search your deck for a card helps and also CAVE ON THE HILL (Cthulhu)-3 which is a location which can pull her out of the story and refresh her before any struggles take place and she's ready next opponents round to do it again if he tries to go in and win the story. In a dream like situation where all the above cards are out, and you only commit TWILA and then run away to leave it undefended, it still takes the eqiuvalent of 8 STORY ROUNDS!! for him to clear it. I don't think anyone has 80 cards in their decks............. Like??? Dunno how practicle in game play it would be. SOMEONE PLEASE TRY THIS AND LET ME KNOW.

That's as far as I've gotten in the first 3 nights of looking at the decks but I may have some more for you soon. Any others?? I'm sure people have some pearlers!!!

***FIXED IN ABOVE POST SO DELETED HERE***

I've been up for the better part of 3 days with my new obsession so flaked a bit and made some mistakes.

Another tip for us newbies, and I know I was excited when after 2 days it finally occured to me, is that ANY deck can have SNOW GRAVES (Shub-Niggurath)-0 included and all my combo decks do (so technically they're a 3 deck combo). This card is a pesky location which stops discard piles from being accessable and since its 0 cost you don't need to resource match or drain a domain. I know I know. Old news.

PHEW. Thankfully I'm pretty sure the VISITOR combo is not legal. a response IS an action, and actions have to be alternated so for those that read it I've now deleted it. For those that didn't. baaaaah. Forget it.

STILL AWAKE. Just to further my darling original belle of the ball from the dreamlands cycle's combo, I toyed with using this in the Tournament.

Long story short you play the conspiracy while its night and then send her in with the diary and some fodder characters to protect her.

I would've been interested to see how this went because if successful it might have been possible to do very well without even winning a story. 30 discards should finish most 50 deckers, which is why I toyed with the super story clogging power of Cthulhu for a 3 deck combo. If you spread all these out over the stories along with the 3 Miskatonic story success effecting cards, she just might be able to get her stuff together while the opponent labours through the quagmire. And of course with the Gaurdian/Disc combo and perhaps a couple of extra guardians and cheap fodder characters, there wouldn't be a thing he could do to get rid of all those cards hanging attached off the board (There's 12 attachments and 3 Events from memory). Especially with SNOW GRAVES for a technical 4 deck combo, which also is protected by the Guardian.

Not to mention all the discard curses/rituals and manors that Yog-Sothoth provides (another 20 or so discards with 5 or 6 cards). The combinations and what works best would need some rigorous playtesting.

I found something more fun to play with though.

P.S. I love themes, so if you know anything about TWILA then you'd find it most approriate that the GUARDIAN OF THE KEY is there with her!! HA

P.P.S. I almost broke this with FORGOTTEN SHOGGOTH so you need something to take care of that. Thankfully cards can't attach to him so you need a card within the 3 decks to take him out if he appears. Too tired to look.

LASTLY (sigh) before I crash out for a day or so, the beauty is that TWILA herself is the most expensive card at 3. All the others are cost 1 and 2 cards so with a 3-2-2 Domain setup you can do all this quite quickly (There might be one or two more 3's but I'd have to check).

This site is so wierd. Sometimes you can edit, sometimes you can't. I'm up again after 4 hours because my stoopid brain won't stop scheming so I'll add a couple more pointers. The NIGHT cards I've mentioned would all seem detrimental to most but they fit perfectly with the plan. MIDNIGHT RENDEVOUS stops Investigation successes TERRORS IN THE DARK also forces the opponent to discard a deck card every time he even wants to play a card and THE SETTING SUN strips non unique characters of an Investigation icon, screwing most cheap costing characters of their Investigation input. AND of course, once ONE night card is down its protected by that darn (beloved) Guardian so it's always night after that. I was also getting into night characters because of this and the Yog-Sothoth WIZARD OF YOG-SOTHOTH is an example of this.

Another thought was that because you'll have 3 copies of the dream diary in your deck then others that are given this also become DREAMERS (TWILA already is) so I was considering throwing in the neutral DREAM DAGGER cost 1. This turns even the mildest DREAMER into a killing machine with 1 TERROR 2 COMBAT 1 ARCANE additions. Of course this then lends to MOON BEAST GALLEY which if you have more dreamlands cards, all these new dreamer characters refresh at the beginning of each player's turn.

The possibilities and connections that can be made around this combo seem to be endless so without playtesting capabilities I was driving myself crazy which is why I moved on.

Interesting ideas for sure, but you should really take a rest now gui%C3%B1o.gif

The trouble with combos is that you must be able to pull them off reliably and without your oppoonent suspecting where you're heading. The latter is often more of a problem than the former.

You may also find resourcing tricky since you're using cards from three factions (Miskatonic, Cthulhu, Yog) and the Guardian is Loyal.

Ultimately, you'll have to put together a deck and playtest it against known, successful decks.

Finally a reply a reply!! cheers. Duly noted and previously realised, the main combo was the Gaurdian/Disc which is 2 factions / 2 cards only and PROTECTS WITHOUT QUESTION all those attachments and locations unless as stated the opponent has multiple destroyers and willing to waste one to clear it, but even then it can only be destroyed if both target the Disc. a second guardian makes this harder.

the whole shebang was a flight of imaginative fantasy that developed from there but I can't playtest without opponents so it may just remain that. Which is why it developed along with SNOW GRAVES which doesnt effect the 2 faction integrity and is hard to remove with the combo. I wanted something that doesn't focus on what the other player may or may not have or competing for successes but instead attacks the opponents deck, something i've not read about yet. In a perfect situation you wouldn't even compete on your turn leaving the opponents characters and their cards for instant refreshes sitting like gooses and instead go hell for leather at their decks and defend with characters on their story turn, with an emphasis on success reduction, so high skill characters would be used. if this isn't a common tactic then decks for tournaments would be hard pressed to combat it as they need their usual one for everyone elses decks. I dunno. Newbie talk.

Thanks again for the comments and again, if anyone tries it let me know!!!

Of course this is all highly unethical and not the vein i have chosen to pursue, but the theory of its practicality does intrigue me. Perhaps only something the Syndicate might stoop to!! Card sharks as some of them are. Also in my opinion SNOW GRAVES should be a COST 1 card so only Shubby decks can use it. At ZERO cost I can't see why every deck doesn't include it as discard aquisition seems to effect a lot of cards. Which of course means any deck wanting to use this has to have cards to stop it, which lowers their count for other stuff.

cool combo. but a lot of cards into it. and the deck will be almost build around it. and what you will do if someone kills Twila?current meta is almost about destruction