miniature

By rugal, in Rex: Final Days of an Empire

was wondering : FFG has money to creates minatures.

So, why so less figures on the game ? tokens for troops and no minis (even in 15mm) ?

Probably to keep down the costs and as such, the price.

It's a conspiracy against the trees I tells ya

I think it would have been very difficult to fit numerous minis in a single space. You can have up to 20 minis from up to 6 different races in a space for up to 120 units in a single space!

Now that's unlikely, but having 20-30 pieces in a single space isn't unheard of.

Well, Dune was originally released with tokens so there's a certain amount of retaining the old game involved, I'm sure.

In addition to the excellent point about space in each territory, there's also the fact that movement in the game is conducted by moving a stack of tokens from one space to another. It's a lot easier to do that with a stack of 10 tokens than with 10 individual minis.

I like minis as much as the next guy, but it's not like the game is anything less without them. I don't think minis need to be added to every game just for the sake of having minis. Besides, this way it's less that I'm tempted to paint =P

Adding to all the above mentionend points: Xxchaa-tokens can be turned, signalling a different playing mechanic. I wouldn't know how to do that with minis in a way as easy and streamlined.

I was actually worried that they'd use small tokens or miniatures and am very glad they didn't. Those spaces would get way too unnecessarily cluttered and fiddly for me. I'm very happy with the way they went.