Another GREAT game from FFFG

By andbruu2, in Horus Heresy

I had invited my friend over for a game of War of the Ring, but then I just sort of happened to buy this jewel that is the HORUS HERESY. In six hours, including running over the rules and getting something to eat, we played two games. In that time we would not even have finished a single game of WotR. With a complex rule set, and a depth as great as any true strategy game (no I have not played flames of war), the game is playable in 2-3 hours. It really fills a gap in my boardgame collection: 2 player, complex, short...

The first two games was won by HORUS, but I got a third game where the EMPEROR won, so from a 3-game perspective it looks balanced.

Just hope that it does not turn "static" like many other pre-set map games (Axis&Allies, Chess, etc.) too fast. I have to look into the other scenarios, but so far I think the first (brother vs brother) have some untested strategies to offer. Of the three games, HORUS won two by taking the ports, and the emperor won by killing the TRAITOR.

As always the physical quality of the game is 10-out-of-10, and the rules, though complex, are well written.

I like that they respect the FLUFF of the 40k universe. The rules would have been more easely understood if they had refered to the RED Space Marines, instead of the Bloood Angles Space Marines... Same with many other accpects of the game.

My only BUT, is that the LOYAL primarcs (except Khan) are better off staying in behind the palace walls, than engaging the TRAITORS... It could just be my 3-game-wisdom, that does not allow me to invision other strategies yet... AND im loooking forward to discover them.

Thought of the day... will I get a lot of heat from gunning at chess?

Word of Advise... dont trust your "LOYAL" imperial armies and tank divisions!

andbruu said:

I had invited my friend over for a game of War of the Ring, but then I just sort of happened to buy this jewel that is the HORUS HERESY. In six hours, including running over the rules and getting something to eat, we played two games. In that time we would not even have finished a single game of WotR. With a complex rule set, and a depth as great as any true strategy game (no I have not played flames of war), the game is playable in 2-3 hours. It really fills a gap in my boardgame collection: 2 player, complex, short...

Sounds a bit odd to me, referring to not being able to play WotR in six hours. HH I do think is slightly shorter, but very slighthly at most. HH averages about 90 minutes, WotR 90-120 min, although I've seen 60 minute games as well. Also funny you say "playable in 2-3 hours + short" partido_risa.gif , for me short is 60-min max, hell, I might even say 60 min games are normal length.

andbruu said:

My only BUT, is that the LOYAL primarcs (except Khan) are better off staying in behind the palace walls, than engaging the TRAITORS... It could just be my 3-game-wisdom, that does not allow me to invision other strategies yet... AND im loooking forward to discover them.

In the actual invasion of Terra (going by canon), Imperials were outnumbered and going against a neverending pool of Traitors, so they couldn't attack as they pleased, they had to wait for their opportunities. Emperor being secluded in the early going wasn't helping Imperial morale either. As to the Primarchs themselves, Dorn (Imp Fists) is the master of fortifications, he was called back to Terra just to strengthen its defenses, he and his Chapter at their best in defense. Khan's ability to join in the battles like fliers is also very much in keeping with the White Scars forte of lightning raids. Best of the Imperial hitters is Sanguinius, if you want a spaceport taken back, send him and the Blood Angels, +2 dmg is even enough to negate the fortification bonus should you be attacking Horus on the Vengeful Spirit, although if the Imperials make the attack against Horus on the ship, the Traitor player has lost the game already IMO. Unless he's playing a mindless zombie Imperial player who has no clue lengua.gif .

Dam said:

andbruu said: Best of the Imperial hitters is Sanguinius, if you want a spaceport taken back, send him and the Blood Angels, +2 dmg is even enough to negate the fortification bonus should you be attacking Horus on the Vengeful Spirit, although if the Imperials make the attack against Horus on the ship,

QFT - Get Sanguinius out there busting heads! Or up on the Vengeful Spirit scaring the pants off of Horus ! ;)

Just out of curiosity, what does the third "F" stand for? :-P