Carried units activation

By Loophole Master, in Dust Tactics Rules Discussion

I thought the answer was you can't enter and leave in the same activation and the written rule is wrong to imply that - the intention of the rule is you can't, so surely thats the answer?

Ohhhhh! Now I see what you're talking about. "a squad should be able to enter OR exit a heavy walker only once per activation". For some reason I read that "or" as an "and", and that changes everything. So he's saying that even though the rules are poorly written , the intention is that you can either enter or exit once per activation, never both.

I appreciate this ruling, not because it gave an unfair advantage (entering and exiting on different activations still allows you to bypass a couple of squares) but because it created a very silly action that compromised the reality of the game. Kinda stupid to see several squads lining up to enter and exit a tank in quick succession.

Loophole Master said:

Ohhhhh! Now I see what you're talking about. "a squad should be able to enter OR exit a heavy walker only once per activation". For some reason I read that "or" as an "and", and that changes everything. So he's saying that even though the rules are poorly written , the intention is that you can either enter or exit once per activation, never both.

I appreciate this ruling, not because it gave an unfair advantage (entering and exiting on different activations still allows you to bypass a couple of squares) but because it created a very silly action that compromised the reality of the game. Kinda stupid to see several squads lining up to enter and exit a tank in quick succession.

LOL i didnt realize that either misread "or" for "and", I still think what he was trying to say is that because you are suppose to use separate move actions to enter and exit it would only allow you one of each for each activation because that would use up both Actions. I could be wrong, I sent a question off to FFG also to try to nail this down a little better, hopefully I will hear back soon.

smith2332 said:

I still think what he was trying to say is that because you are suppose to use separate move actions to enter and exit it would only allow you one of each for each activation because that would use up both Actions.

Well, for now I think we kinda have to accept that he said what he actually meant to say. Either enter or exit in a single activation, no more than that. We can't go assuming that he actually meant to say "just one per action"... Hopefully the answer to your own question will dispell any lingering doubts.

The first question also has an easy interpretation: a unit can only take move actions until it enters the game. That would preclude a unit in a vehicle from passing until the vehicle was on the table.

But passing is not a move action...

Loophole Master said:

Well, for now I think we kinda have to accept that he said what he actually meant to say. Either enter or exit in a single activation, no more than that. We can't go assuming that he actually meant to say "just one per action"... Hopefully the answer to your own question will dispell any lingering doubts.

Finally got a response and it was how he worded it, this response does a better job of explaining though :)

You recently asked a question about Dust Tactics:

Rule Question:
Can you enter and exit a Heavy Walker in the same Move action since it only requires 1 movement point with units that have Fast or Movement 2?

The rules technically allow for a squad to enter and exit a heavy walker on the same activation. However, it is intended that a squad should be able to enter or exit a heavy walker only once per activation.

He actually bolded the above I did not bold that so it is very clear that it is only enter or exit per activation, happy gaming!!

Loophole Master said:

But passing is not a move action...

Which would mean the unit could not pass until it had enterred the table with its transport and could then pass.

Gimp said:

Which would mean the unit could not pass until it had enterred the table with its transport and could then pass.

I don't get your logic there. Are you referring to the rule that says "each unit’s first action must be a Move action"? That rule can't possibly apply to a unit that is being carried by a walker, otherwise it would be forced to disembark as its first action...

A carried unit's first action, if it wishes to remain inside the tank, must be to do nothing. And I don't see why it can't opt to do nothing before the tank is activated for the first time.

A unit's first action when it enters the board, and the only action type it can take, must be a Move action. The unit's first action if it starts on the board after being transported there can be either a Move action to disembark, or a Pass action to remain on the transport.

A unit being transported would be carried onto the board by the transporting unit's Move actions, and find itself on the board without having to use a Move action to get there, so it could then Pass or Move to disembark.

Before the transport moved onto the board, the only action available to the transported unit would be Move actions, as it had not yet entered the battlefield.

I'm with Gimp. My take:

The 2 rules "squads and heroes can begin the game inside a vehicle" and "each unit's first action must be a move action using movement points to enter one of the entry spaces on the map per that units movement rules" do not contradict and both stand. The carrying vehicle's rules allow for an alternate means of entry but if a unit is not on the board when activated it must move onto the board.

Fair enough, I accept your argument. Thanks for the input.

And BTW, just played my second game with the heavies, this time using the Punisher and the Konigsluther. I do feel that the allied heavies are substantially better than the axis'. Positioning the Punisher in the middle of the board I was able to kill two or three units per round. Very effective. And having Rosie sitting inside until you've taken some damage is almost unfair to the opponent. He basically has to kill the heavy walker twice.

Yup, Rosie has become a big unbalancer for the game, I wonder if heavy mechs were thought about when designing and playtesting her. Would be better to have a random number of hits returned say 6 dice and each hit returns a wound.

Yes, her role has changed completely with the arrival of the heavy walkers. Before, she would replenish 3 Health at the most, usually 2. And more often than not, the walker would be destroyed before she could think of doing anything. Heavy walkers are VERY unlikely to be destroyed in a single attack. So Rosie can bide her time, sitting in comfort, until the walker has taken at least 5-6 points of damage, or up to 9, and then simply step out, wave her magic wrench, and there you have it, a brand new heavy walker for you opponent to start carving all over again. All that for just 20pts. Plus she's still a very capable tank killer.

Maybe they'll have to errata Rosie so that she either repairs a fixed number of damage points (probably a maximum of 3 damage) or maybe half the damage that the walker has been dealt. Both options would deny a player the possibiliy to fully repair a heavy walker that was almost destroyed without making Rosie totally worthless.

I'd be game for rolling 10 dice and repairing hits. This way, statistically you'd usually roll at least 3 hits, which will fully fix any medium walker, but you'll need to be very lucky to fully fix a heavy walker. You might fix it completely, or then again you might fail miserably....

Don't you think that would be very unreliable for such an important ability, much more for an ability that can be used only once per game. I just have to compare it with the way Rosie works now: She automatically repairs all the damage - no luck or anything involved.

Yeah, I know, it would be a fairly big deviation from the original skill. But originally she was a pretty good value at 20AP, with the ability to recover 3 Health points to units that often were destroyed before she could get to them. Now, with the same cost, she can recover 9 Health points to units that can be trusted to remain alive while taking a couple of hard hits, giving her time to act.

You are absolutely right. That's why I suggested to limit the number of wounds she can repair, thus limiting her power without involving the luck of dice rolls.