Back in the box

By Andyhagrid, in Doom

Has anyone managed to get all the doom figure, map tiles and counters back into the orginal box? If so please part with some wisdom as my figures is in a seperate tub after much time spent swearing.

Aye, I can fit them all back in. Usually I place take everything out first if the game I'm doing is kinda big. I find that massive big room with 6 exits first, then the 2 medium rooms. Then I place the 3rd medium room and then place any other rooms over it as flat as possible, spaces between I fill up with corridors and caps. Though for some smaller maps I leave some of the big rooms in the box while I place my used ones over it.

Once all the board pieces are in, I place the openy bits, aye it's the doors, on top as flat as possible.

I keep a plastic baggy for the 'square' tokens (hp, barrels, walls, etc) and another for non-square tokens (health packs, guns, ammo, including the dice), and a 3rd smaller baggy for the small invaders (basically the 1-square based ones). I place one of the token baggy over the boards, making sure it's as flat as possible, then I place the other one over. I place the miniature bag over it, hopefully it still fits, then dump the rest of the big guys over (I disassemble my cybies at this time). Cards can easily be rubber banded and placed in an open space.

Hope it works for you too. gui%C3%B1o.gif

My method is pretty identical to Knuckles, I also separate my monsters by size, anything that takes up one square goes in a ziplock whole the really big guys (demon/pinkie and up) go in the original monster bag. I use a 'Deck Armor' box to hold my sleaved (yugioh sized) Doom and Marine Cards. Another tip to save space is when putting the room tiles back in (big first, then small) when you get to the small tiles, fit the interlocking parts together (Especially on dead ends) in order to fit more on each layer, this may just be a OCD thing that I do that serves no purpose other than making me happy though.

Anyone know if the Expansion has extra space in it to make this easier?

I follow what Eki does pretty much myself, only major difference is that I place the Big 'Uns first (they're in a plastic bag) along the top edge, then the bag with small figs (marines + 1 square invaders), finally bags with the counters. I have the cards in sleeves, so they don't fit in the hole anymore, so I put them below with the rest of the stuff. Don't have the expansion yet, but hoping I'll be able to fit everything into the base-Doom box, so that's all I'll need to lug around. With AH, I'm lugging AH + DH boxes when we're playing.

From the pics, looks like the expansion is the size of a AH/FoD box. Is that correct?

I can't immagine fitting the expansion into the base box, mine is already pretty much full to capacity with what it came with.

I've been thinking about picking up a large surplus ammo or other military box, cutting the artwork off of my box and applying it to the ammo box and making it my new Doom box... but I haven't actually checked out any new-box canidates yet.

I have both the base game and the expansion in the same box (the original one from the base game)

I'm using the cardboard inset, but flipped it over, to hold the cards, then I just stack the tiles as neatly as possible height-wise - not in layers - on one side of the box, then put the monsters in, basically have to see to it that the big guys doesn't have bits poking up, rotate them and move some around... and then I have ziplock bags for the tokens and stuff that I just flatten out at the top. Finally, I put the two rulebooks on top, followed by the printed FAQ, and I also switched out the cardboard marine bins for some customized paper ones.

There's not a whole lot of air in there, but it works :D

I've got the base game and expansion in the main box too. I layered all the room tiles in the bottom of the box, fitting them together like puzzle pieces (which is more fun for me to put away than it really should be). Then I line two edges of the box with the bagged tokens and pieces, with a stack of doors or cards at either end of the L-shape. The remaining space is filled with the big monsters, and then I lay a bag of the smaller monsters on top. Then the rulebooks go on top and the box is closed. Works pretty well for me, even if it takes some time to do. Makes my OCD happy though.

After picking up the expansion, I just put the tiles and bits in the big box and all the figures in the expansion box. Much less of a headache that way. Oh, I've also put all the bits in a compartmented fishing box instead of zippered baggies, which is likewise much easier to deal with during the game and as storage.

Later.

Highland Raider

Fit everything in there no problem.

The first thing I did was I took the cardboard insert, and turned it upside down, and stuck it in the bottom. Then, I took all the different tokens, seperating them by type, and put them in baggies *I actually do this with all my FFG games*. The cards are all held in one stack by a small rubber band, and then pile the figures in lay the rulebooks on top, and I'm all set.

Got my expansion in the mail today. Holy cow those Vagary figures are kick-ass looking sorpresa.gif !!! After sleeving the cards, tried first to fit them all back in the box with the cardboard insert in place, but after I gave up on the insert, everything fit in there nicely.

I'll plan to pick up the expansion this weekend as well :) I've been on a big doom kick lately. I am not sure whether I'll opt for the one box or two box meathod,

Two box method is better IMO. Just put all the miniatures in the Expansion Box and the rest in the base set (still much room for extra tiles). Don't know if you're going to paint the miniatures, but if you are I won't consider putting everything back in a single box, even with the base set only. Expansion box has exactly enough room for all miniatures, if you put them side by side. Unfortunately it's not tall enough for assembled Cyberdemons.

It's better if you keep the small tokens in one or more separate bags, otherwise they will spread inside the box. I also keep corridor ends in bags. Since I don't have many of those nice sealing bags (like the one that holds dice), I made plastic bags out of cardboard wrappings, instead of throwing them away.

2 boxes would probably fit into my bag that I use to carry the game to my friend's place when we play. But since they fit into the base game box, don't see the need to lug around 2 boxes. I keep CDs unassembled and am not looking to paint the minis. Also, when I put everything into the base box, they fit nice and tight, so will move around very little. All the tokens and dice have been bagged into ziplocks (I think around 5-6 different bags).

Dam said:

2 boxes would probably fit into my bag that I use to carry the game to my friend's place when we play. But since they fit into the base game box, don't see the need to lug around 2 boxes. I keep CDs unassembled and am not looking to paint the minis. Also, when I put everything into the base box, they fit nice and tight, so will move around very little. All the tokens and dice have been bagged into ziplocks (I think around 5-6 different bags).

Ziplocks = "those nice sealing bags" gran_risa.gif The more FFG games you own, the more ziplocks you need.

True, but I buy sleeves for most games (Marvel Heroes, Arkham Horror, Fury of Dracula, War of the Ring and Doom all have big cards sleeved), and at least the sleeves I buy come in ziplocked bags, so I get a double-whammy gui%C3%B1o.gif .

Of course, adding 24 decks (at around 60 cards per) to a ccg these past few months has added more than a few sleeve ziplock bags.