Dwarven Tomb to bring back Test of Will to cancel revealed treachery?

By cuber3, in Rules questions & answers

I'm currently on my fourth or fifth attempt of beating Journey Down The Anduin.
I think I can beat the final stage of the quest in the turn I am in, but right at the end the worst possible treachery came up for me.
I have to deal 1 damage to all my characters, and every single one of my heroes is one point away from dying. I do not have any cards to block this treachery.
I do however have a dwarven tomb I can play, and two copies of Test of Will in my discard pile. The question is, can I play Dwarven Tomb, bring back the Test of Will from my discard pile into my hand, and then play that to cancel the shadow effect, saving me from losing the quest right at the ending?
I am literally on the verge of winning, since I have about 5 allies still standing next to my heroes, I only have two goblin snipers left to defeat, plus I can bring Gandalf straight back into play from my discard pile with Stand and Fight, and I have a crapload of resources to spend..
Please tell me there is a way to get past this horrible treachery serio.gif

cuber3 said:

The question is, can I play Dwarven Tomb, bring back the Test of Will from my discard pile into my hand, and then play that to cancel the shadow effect, saving me from losing the quest right at the ending?

No!

cuber3 said:

...plus I can bring Gandalf straight back into play from my discard pile with Stand and Fight...

Not Gandalf.

I guess I am screwed right at the end then, bummer :(

Thanks for the answer, could you explain why this is not possible?
Is it not allowed to play the card you bring back with Dwarven Tomb right away or am I simply unable to cancel the treachery with A Test Of Will since it was not yet in my hand when the treachery was revealed?

Also why can I not bring Gandalf back?
The card text of Stand And Fight says: "Choose an ally with a printed cost of X in any player's discard pile. Put that ally into play under your control. (The chosen ally can belong to any sphere of influence.)"
Gandalf costs 5 and is an ally, the sphere of influence doesn't matter, so if I have 5 spirit resource to spend I see nothing wrong with this..

Oh I see, the card reference says:
"Does not include Neutral Allies (official FAQ 1.2)."

Would you still care to explain exactly why I can't use test of will?

Dwarven tomb is an event, test of will is a response. once a shadow card or treachery card is revealed, an action window to play an event (tomb) does not open until the currently revealed effect is fully resolved or cancelled with a response.

I'm guessing because Dwarven Tomb is an action card. The only way to counter a 'When revealed' effect is with a response, such as A Test of Will or Eleanor's ability. Both of those are 'triggered' when a 'When revealed' effect takes place, meaning A Test of Will must be in your hand and Eleanor must be 'ready', as they are responses, not actions.

Indeed...so my advice to you Cuber 3 is simply to use your Dwarven Tomb in advance, and get back your tests of will ASAP, before the Quest phase. Test of Will is always useful, and if you are near the end of the Quest, always presume that something bad will happen. In fact, Dwarven Tomb is an awesome card, but if you know you have something great in your discard pile, do not linger too long to get it back, otherwise, well, you know what happens (you need an Action window to play it since it's not a Response).

Events are not instants, like in Magic. You should play the Dwarven Tomb before you flip the encounter card.

Thanks a hell of a lot for explaining everyone, I will make sure to draw my lessons from this :)

cuber3 said:

I guess I am screwed right at the end then, bummer :(

Thanks for the answer, could you explain why this is not possible?
Is it not allowed to play the card you bring back with Dwarven Tomb right away or am I simply unable to cancel the treachery with A Test Of Will since it was not yet in my hand when the treachery was revealed?

Also why can I not bring Gandalf back?
The card text of Stand And Fight says: "Choose an ally with a printed cost of X in any player's discard pile. Put that ally into play under your control. (The chosen ally can belong to any sphere of influence.)"
Gandalf costs 5 and is an ally, the sphere of influence doesn't matter, so if I have 5 spirit resource to spend I see nothing wrong with this..

If you're heroes are badly damaged and you have the opportunity to get Test of Will back in your hand - then do this before you draw the encounter. Then you'll be able to play Test of Will (and Dwarven Tomb won't be wasted) as usual. When you draw Necromancer's Reach you can only cancel its effect with a response effect because the effect of the treachery card takes place immediatly after it is drawn. Only a response may stop it, but never an action. That's why you always should read the card text carefully and you should keep in mind if it's an action or a response. Test of Will is a response.

You can't bring Gandalf back because he's neutral and does not possess a sphere. I also played it wrong in the beginning as the word "can" is implying that the condition is not a must (but it is). Yes, it doesn't makes sense at all.

ETA: ****, should have read the thread a bit further, as this has been already been answered...

Happens to the best of us, friend :-)