Can Psykers use the Incinerate Pyromancy power on targets besides objects?

By sanguinemetaldawn, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

I ask because the game master who is running our Dark Heresy campaign currently, says "No".

He says this quote:

"However, Incinerate requires you to concentrate on a single point, making it difficult to use against non-stationary targets."

...means I cannot use this power against anything moving. So its main use is on tables and chairs and stuff like that.

Is that correct?

Can I get an official ruling on this?

If he is correct, then Incinerate is one of the most idiotic powers ever, in my opinion.

Also, how does the damage work? The description states that it deals the same damage as the previous round. Does that mean that you roll Incinerate damage on the first round, and and then each successive round just add one to that? So if you roll a for damage on round 1, it takes 4 damage on round 1, 5 on round 2, 6 on round 3, then 7, 8, 9 on rounds 4, 5, and 6? Or is the d10 rolled each round, and only the base damage increased linearly (i. e. d10 +1 on round 1, d10 +2 on round 2, d10 + 3 on round 3, etc) ?

A thorough clarification on this would be appreciated, thanks.

The description of the power states that its damage ignore Armour and Toughness (p175), which is a pretty clear statement that you CAN target people.

The part that is unclear is what the effects of stationary vs moving target is, if any. It may very well just be "fluff", ie descriptive text of the power with no mechanical effect. It may mean that if the Target performed a Move Action of some sort on his last turn, that either the difficulty of the test is increased somehow, or that it cannot be performed. As this is not specified, it becomes a matter of house-rules and/or GM fiat.

I'd rule that if a target moves, you must focus the power again on the next round. If it does not, you simply sustain the power for the additional damage.

It's still a little iffy in some situations, a character in melee may very well use his full action on attacks, but he is still not considered "stationary". In fact, he is more difficult to hit with gunfire because he is "dancing" with his opponents. So he may be considered to be moving, even if he uses no Move action. Again, house rules.

If you wish an official reply, use the "rules questions" link at the bottom of this page. Sometimes you get answers, sometimes not :)

If you do, please share with us :)

You can cast it on non-stationary target until it remains in range and in line of sight. So if he moves out of range or takes cover the power ends.

I would count d10+1 damage for the first round and it will be the starting result. Then each round I would add 1 to the result.

sanguinemetaldawn said:

If he is correct, then Incinerate is one of the most idiotic powers ever, in my opinion.

If it would just be that, it still would be pretty darn awesome power. Gang lord hiding in his cave? Melt it shut and let him rot there!

A cult hiding in a huge building? some structural damage and the cult is under the collapsed building.

Need to go through a door? Don't have the key? Don't want to cause a ruckus becouse of high explosives might be too loud? Burn it/Melt it!

and it would IGNORE armor and toughness completely! in other words it takes 1-3 rounds to do what I stated above.

Don't limit yourself onto stupid furniture, think big! think collapseable buildings, holes into walls to surprise the enemy etc!