Question about Doppelshadow

By ACriticalHippo, in Runebound

I have a question about how to handle this card:

Doppleshadow:

Reward: Test [spirit] Resist (13).

If you fail, discard this card.

If you succeed, place a gold counter on this card and give it to another player.

If a player begins his turn with this card, he must resolve it before moving.

If he defeats this Challenge, he may attempt the above test to take this card and repeat the process.

If this card has gold counters equal to the number of players, discard it.

-----

The Player 1 defeats the challenge, passes the Resist test, puts the counter on the card, and gives the card to Player 2.

Player 2 starts his turn with the card. Player 2 fights/defends and gets Knocked Out.

-----

What happens to this card?

Does it get discarded?

Does it stay with Player 2 until he defeats it? If so are all wounds removed and he has to fight it again on his next turn?

Does it go on the Undefeated Challenges with the token placed where Player 2 was knocked out?

-----

I can see the reasons for any of the above to be correct, but I can't find any clear answer.

This occurred in a game recently and we had no idea how to resolve this.

Any help would be appreciated.

This card has been removed from my Runebound game because of how ambiguous the rules around this card are. I know thats not an answer to your question but it is a solution.

Shammah said:

I have a question about how to handle this card:

Doppleshadow:

Reward: Test [spirit] Resist (13).

If you fail, discard this card.

If you succeed, place a gold counter on this card and give it to another player.

If a player begins his turn with this card, he must resolve it before moving.

If he defeats this Challenge, he may attempt the above test to take this card and repeat the process.

If this card has gold counters equal to the number of players, discard it.

-----

The Player 1 defeats the challenge, passes the Resist test, puts the counter on the card, and gives the card to Player 2.

Player 2 starts his turn with the card. Player 2 fights/defends and gets Knocked Out.

-----

What happens to this card?

Does it get discarded?

Does it stay with Player 2 until he defeats it? If so are all wounds removed and he has to fight it again on his next turn?

Does it go on the Undefeated Challenges with the token placed where Player 2 was knocked out?

-----

I can see the reasons for any of the above to be correct, but I can't find any clear answer.

This occurred in a game recently and we had no idea how to resolve this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello,

Putting this card on the Undefeated Challenge Track will generate a series of problems that must be avoided (e.g. where to place the counter, if the hero is not on a Green jewel?). You can't simply discard it; it's not included in the card instruction or in the rules.

The only answer which is fully supported by the rules and the card text is the following: the card does remain in your possession until you get rid of it.

If you don't discard or pass Doppelshadow after defeating the Challenge, you have to repeat the procedure starting from "If a player begins his turn with this card, he must resolve it before moving."

In the rare case this card will knock out a fully healed Hero again, the process will continue until he defeats it. He should be able to do this sooner or later.

I admit the card could have been clearer, but it has everything you need to handle it. The space was filled and there was no room to write "If he's defeated, he must attempt this Challenge again next turn". I would surely discard any Wounds left, because undefeated Challenges never carry over their Wounds from a combat to the next.