Dreadfleet Captain Expansion

By Emirikol, in WFRP Print on Demand Expansions

Ok, we've got a new subforum. What's everyone think of Dreadfleet and the POD cards?

jh

Oh. I don't know exactly what it is. Is seems to be a set of actions for Seafarers with locations or something. But I don't think there will be rules for sea combat in it.

But it doesn't matter. I can't buy it in Europe. Retailers don't have it and I can't pay with paypal. So PoD ist not for me and as I know most of the European Costumers.

Sounds cool, but I'd like more careers that might head out to sea. Right now there are very few, boatman, navigator. I wish they could include a career or two in (some) of their print on demand releases.

I'd also like some new careers. I only have the base box for 3rd ed, and my players and I have been disappointed by the careers missing. With something small like this, and affordable, I would like to see 1-2 new ones. It would be a lot easier to justify smaller purchases than larger ones.

Also, from the description it doesn't sound like it gives any written info on the storyline, just cards and punch-outs. We aren't deep into the storyline anyway, but I'd like a bit of background on the special NPCs to give my players before we get started.

Looks cool enough, but my WFRP group is lucky to get in one game a month, and I'm not sure if we'll ever hit the seas, or a port for that matter. Still, might look into getting it.

@Lauterer: There is a german group order starting at the altewelt forum. www.altewelt.net/viewtopic.php

I'm not sure I under stand you guys in Europe. Why can't you just order it from the shop on this site? I've just ordered my third PoD product, and I'm in Norway.

Ralzar said:

I'm not sure I under stand you guys in Europe. Why can't you just order it from the shop on this site? I've just ordered my third PoD product, and I'm in Norway.

I don't have a credit card and I want to pay with paypal

I'm just happy that my FLGS (in Sweden) decided to carry all FFG PODs, sure I got Faith of Sigmar this week so it's a bit slow but I get them eventually. :)

I'm certainly going to get this just because it looks so damned cool. I love the Dreadfleet history. I'm saving up for a big order from Miniature Market and these will be on the list.

Mine arrived. Same (good) quality of cards as the Sigmar POD but definitely GM focused. A couple of actions can be PC actions but mostly monster/NPC ones with the NPC's and location cards.

Speaking of location cards, whoa, the Captain's Quarters - that's better than a Shallyan Hospice!!! (so comfy and splendid, a full night's rest recovers To x2 in wounds and gain two fortune dice on recovery from criticals). Suddenly being the Captain's "favourite" looks pretty good (well until you see some of the Captains).

Personally I was a bit dissappointed. I'm not sure exactly what I expected, but I was hoping for more cards that could be used for sea-adventures. Except for the location cards, there really wasn't much of use here for me. This card set is very specifically made to run advenutres with the Dreadfleet and nothing else. Which is ok, since the pack is called "The Dreadfleet". You can't exactly call it false advertisement. But people should be aware that the pack has very limited usability for anything other than Dreadfleet adventures.

I'm also sort of stuck with the feeling of buying the cards and standups for an adventure they haven't published yet.

Ralzar said:

[...] Except for the location cards, there really wasn't much of use here for me. [...]

Could you just list the names of the different locations?

I talked about this POD with some friends yesterday and we though that more location cards is sweet, but that the rest of the pack seemed kind of useless. I will (probably) end up buying the pack, but it's fun to know what locations are included, as that's what I'm most interested in. :)

The locations are:-

Main Deck

Below Deck

Overboard

Captain's Quarters

Crow's Nest (which IMO should hurt a lot more to fall out of!)

Rigging

Captain Fluffy said:

Main Deck

Below Deck

Overboard

Captain's Quarters

Rigging

All those locations require you to be on a ship, which doesn't happend very often in my current campaign. I had hoped for at least some locations that were on land, such as docks and sailor taverns, maybe a pirate island/hideout and similar locations.

k7e9 said:

All those locations require you to be on a ship, which doesn't happend very often in my current campaign. I had hoped for at least some locations that were on land, such as docks and sailor taverns, maybe a pirate island/hideout and similar locations.

New Zombie said:

agree. i'll not bother now. it's an interesting direction they chose to go in. i can't help but feel it was an attempt to leverage the WFRP3 player base into purchasing the board game. i hope that any drop in sales when compared to the previous POD is not considered the fault of WFRP3 or the POD model.

I agree with you there, it feels like a promotion thing for the board game. Sure, the PODs are great in the way that they can cover a specific area, but I feel that the Dreadfleet expansion is too specific to be useful.

Still, I'll probably buy it in the future, I like to have everything. But I won't rush to my FLGS when it arrives (as I did with Faith of Sigmar). ;)

k7e9 said:

Captain Fluffy said:

Main Deck

Below Deck

Overboard

Captain's Quarters

Rigging

You could use some of them while playing Death on the Reik.

You could use the Captain's Quarters for a posh hotel suite in Altdorf or the bedchamber of a very powerful noble.

You can use the Overboard Location when someones is falling off a bridge or something.

You might also be able to use the Rigging Location while moving through an arachnarok's nest or an elven tree settlement. Or for acting out Tarzan in the Lustrian jungle.

The Crow's Nest can also be a treetop perhaps.

I haven't examined the cards closely yet, but I am sure the NPCs and action cards might be useful too. A lot of actions and stats can be relocated to other settings by ignoring names and fluff, I think.

But I am not very happy about the cut out standups. I'd rather have some more monsters. (I really hoped for some more creaturelike sea monsters, but all the monsters in this set are more or less human.)

Do the tomb king and the chaos dwarf captain have any special rules? (for being tombking and chaosdwarf)

derdavid said:

Do the tomb king and the chaos dwarf captain have any special rules? (for being tombking and chaosdwarf)

All of the captains have tasty special abilities on their cards, nothing beyond that. Even if you don't like naval idea, there's inspiration there for ghosts, tombkings etc..

Tordek's Unholy Pact means each time he spends 1 Expertise (he has 5) he recovers 2 wounds. He's a 6 skull monster

King Amanhotep's Curse means if you deal wounds to him, one of yours automatically becomes a Critical Wound (if you have no wounds you take a Wound instead). He's a 7 skull monster

Yeah, taking another look at it today, while the characters are all captains wouldn't be hard to reskin them and find a use for them in a land-based campaign.

korknadel said:

The Crow's Nest can also be a treetop perhaps.

Yeah I'm using it for any precarious high point of vantage, whether on a rooftop, on top of a statue or column or whatever.

I love the flexibility of this system.

I just cut out and tacked the characters with Super 77 to mat board. They turned out pretty well, a bit difficult to cut the curved tops however. Any other methods people are using? I could post a pic if anyone is interested in how they look.

Charbs said:

I just cut out and tacked the characters with Super 77 to mat board. They turned out pretty well, a bit difficult to cut the curved tops however. Any other methods people are using? I could post a pic if anyone is interested in how they look.

if you dont mind, please post one, i'd like to see that! thx :-)

Turned out ok - the arch above Aranessa Saltspite gave me a hard time.