New Xenos

By Adeptus-B, in Dark Heresy House Rules

I just picked up the newest Codex: Dark Eldar (yeah, it’s been out for over a year, but at $30 retail, I only buy the Codices of armies I don’t collect when I can find them used). It’s a good read; I was surprised to learn that Commorragh, the Dark City located in the Eldar Webway, is home to several species other than the Dark Eldar. Some of these beasts, slaves, and mercenaries are given 40K stats, and I thought it would be fun to try to adapt some of them to Dark Heresy ( any excuse to collect more miniatures!).

--------------

DONORIAN CLAWED FIEND-
Long ago the main webway portal into the Donorian system split under the pressure of a Warp storm, and the tunnels that spread out from it became infested with Fiends. The Clawed Fiend is a towering hulk of muscle and fur that has extremely advanced senses, able to see in several spectrums at once. A Clawed Fiend enters a berserk state when it is wounded- few warriors are quick enough to evade a raging Fiend that has scented the rotten tang of its own ichor.
ClawedFiend.jpg

- Codex: Dark Eldar , page 30

Their tabletop stats are:
WS: 4 BS: 0 S: 5 T: 5 W: 4 I: 5 A: 4 Ld: 5 Sv: 6+
Special Rules:
move as Beasts; Bestial Fury (+1 A when wounded)

Rather than give the Fiend dismal Will Power to reflect its low Leadership, I thought that it would be better to represent it as having average WP combined with the Bestial Trait. Here is what I came up with, trying to stay true to its tabletop depiction and taking the look of the figure into consideration:

DONORIAN CLAWED FIEND
WS: 45 BS: - S (8)45 T: 55 Ag: 45 Int: 15 Per: 45 WP: 30 Fel:-
MOVE: 5/10/15/30 WOUNDS: 40
SKILLS:
Awareness, Climb, Tracking.
TALENTS: Berserk Charge, Heightened Senses (Sight, Smell, Hearing), Light Sleeper, Lightning Attack, Sprint.
TRAITS: Bestial, Dark Sight, Fear (2), Improved Natural Weapon (Claws), Natural Armour (3), Size (Hulking), Unnatural Strength (x2), Bestial Fury (if this monster is wounded and passes its WP test for being Bestial, it immediately becomes Frenzied), Tail-Lash (gains an extra Reaction, which can only be used to Parry an attack).
ARMOUR: None (3 All)
WEAPONS: Claws (1d10+10 R; Tearing)
THREAT RATING: XENOS MINORIS
ADVENTURE SEEDS:
Something is killing settlers on the frontier planet of Snowden’s World. The few surviving witnesses describe the attacker as a huge, hairy beast that emerges from the unexplored Howlingwood forest to rend unwary victims limb from limb. The Sector government is dismissive of the reports, claiming that the attacks are being caused by a commonplace predator native to the newly-settled world and thus not worthy of intervention from Scintilla. Stories of the Beast’s rampages reach the ear of a veteran Inquisitor, however, who thinks the descriptions of the Beast sound strangely familiar… A team of Acolytes are dispatched to Snowden’s World to confirm the Inquisitor’s suspicion that the attacks are being perpetrated by a rogue xenomorph. The investigation proves the Inquisitor’s hypothesis correct: Clawed Fiends are emerging from an undiscovered Eldar Portal within the overgrown forest, and the Acolytes must locate and destroy the Portal before the population of Fiends plaguing the frontier world becomes completely uncontrollable.

---------------

SSLYTH-
True Dark Eldar make rather dubious bodyguards due to their treacherous nature. Instead, Archons employ the more reliable alien mercenaries that inhabit Commorragh to protect them from the inevitable coup. Though these bodyguards hail from all across the galaxy, favoured amongst them are the Sslyth, hulking serpent-bodied warrior-fiends whose race fell to the temptations of unbridled excess millennia ago. Having two sets of arms, Sslyth mercenaries sport enough guns and jag-sharp blades to easily make a mess of any assassin or would-be usurper .
Games-Workshop-Sslyth.jpg

- Codex: Dark Eldar , page 35

WS: 4 BS: 4 S: 5 T: 5 W: 2 I: 4 A: 3 Ld: 3 Sv: 5+
Special Rules:
Fleet, Feel No Pain

Very much an elite troop-type. The Leadership of 3 seems startlingly low for a high-end mercenary, but it makes sense in context: in 40K, they use the Leadership value of their boss; if the boss is killed, the mercenary Sslyth has little incentive to keep fighting. So, here’s my take on a DH SSlyth:

SSLYTH
WS: 45 BS: 40 S: 45 T: 50 Ag: 45 Int: 35 Per: 30 WP: 35 Fel: 20
MOVE: 4/8/12/24 WOUNDS: 25
SKILLS
: Awareness, Carouse, Dodge, Forbidden Lore (Xenos), Speak Language (Sslyth, Eldar) TALENTS: Basic Weapon Training (Las, SP, Exotic), Combat Master, Hip Shooting, Jaded, Melee Weapon Training (Primitive), Pistol Training (Las, SP, Exotic), Polyglot (treats Speak Language as a Basic skill), Swift Attack
TRAITS: Crawler, Multiple Arms, Natural Weapon (Bite), Unnatural Speed (x2), Constrictor (counts as having Unnatural Strength (x2) on Grapple damage)
ARMOUR: Custom xeno armour (5 Body/Arms)
WEAPONS: Bite (1d10+5 I; Primitive, Toxic); Monosword (1d10+7, Pen 2, Balanced); Cestus (1d5+5 I, Primitive); Shardcarbine (75m, S/5/10, 1d10+2 R, Pen 3, Clip 150, Rld 2Full; Toxic, Hail of Splinters*); Splinter Pistol (50m, S/3/6, 1d10 R, Pen 3, Clip 120, Rld 2Full; Toxic, Hail of Splinters*); or as supplied by employer.
*Hail of Splinters: If fired on Full Automatic, the weapon gains the Tearing trait.
GEAR: Microbead (for communicating with employer), 2 spare clips for each weapon, jewelry worth 3d10 Thrones, plus one of the following (roll d10): 1-2: 2d10 coins of various (mostly alien) denominations; 3-4: 1-2 doses of a xeno-narcotic (this has the same effect as Stimm for the Sslyth, but is poisonous to mammalian life); 5-6: bag of 1d5 small live rodents (a snack); 7-8: trophies from previous battles (human scalps, ork teef, kroot quills, etc.); 9-10: art object worth 1d5x100 Thrones (10% chance Warp-tainted).
ADVENTURE SEEDS:
The executive director of a major Merchant House is suspected of engaging in illegal trade with xenos. The Acolytes are sent to investigate and, if proof of the allegations can be found, they are to capture or kill the executive. Complicating the latter half of the mission is the fact that the heretic has used his xeno contacts to hire some impressive bodyguards.

---------------------

UR-GHUL-
Though innumerable species of atavistic bloodbeasts prowl Commorragh, it is perhaps the Ur-Ghul that is the most hideous of all; a sightless but agile troglodyte that hails from the labyrinthine ziggurats of Shaa-dom. Once one of these whip-thin horrors has smelt you with its rows of quivering scent-pits there is no escape from the violence that follows.
Warhammer-40K-Dark-Eldar-Ur-Ghul.jpg

- Codex: Dark Eldar , page 35

WS: 4 BS: 0 S: 4 T: 3 W: 1 I: 5 A: 3 Ld: 3 Sv: -
Special Rules:
Fleet, Feel No Pain, Furious Charge

UR-GHUL
WS: 45 BS: - S 40 T: 35 Ag: 55 Int: 18 Per: 45 WP: 20 Fel: 05
MOVE: 5/10/15/30 WOUNDS: 12
SKILLS:
Awareness, Acrobatics, Climb, Concealment +20, Contortionist, Dodge, Shadowing +10, Silent Move +20, Tracking +20
TALENTS: Berserk Charge, Hard Target, Furious Assault, Heightened Senses (Smell), Sprint, Swift Attack
TRAITS: Blind (the Ur-Ghul does not suffer the normal -30 penalty to attacks), Fear (1), Natural Weapon (Claws and Bite)
ARMOUR: None
WEAPONS: Claws/Bite (1d10+8 R, Primitive)
GEAR: None
ADVENTURE SEEDS:
The population of Ur-Ghuls lurking on the fringes of a district of Commorragh is getting out of control. A local gang of Hellions decide that it would be amusing to herd the ghastly creatures through a Webway Portal that opens onto an Imperial world. Rather than intercede, the local Archon decides the tide of ravening Ur-Ghuls may provide an interesting way of testing the defenses of the planet, in anticipation of a future raid…

-----------------------

So, what do you think? I haven’t play-tested any of these yet- I wanted to get some feedback first. Are there any changes you would recommend?

Well, the Koronus Bestiary really stole my thunder re: that first batch of xenos…

-But I'm not easily deterred. Here is my take on the Hrud, xenos that have been lingering on the edges of the 40Kverse for many years. Credit where due: most of the background info is paraphrased from Lexicanum .

Hrud.jpg

-- THE HRUD --

The Imperium views the noisome xeno race known as the Hrud as little more than parasites, foul scavengers with no significant culture of their own. Needless to say, this is not a view shared by the hrud themselves. The Hrud are an ancient and far-flung people, who had established colonies on numerous planets long before the sons of Terra left their homeworld to walk among the stars. They pride themselves on their record-keeping, and there are those who speculate that the Hrud have information contained within their ancient archives that would open up such terrifying vistas of eldritch aeons that no human mind could absorb the revelations without forfeiting sanity.

The Hrud are a dark-dwelling race who inhabit underground tunnel complexes (called juunlak in the hrud tongue), preferably near the settlements of other races. There, they live in secret, using stealth to pilfer the goods they cannot produce themselves. As their numbers increase, the Hrud prepare for a peh-ha , or mass migration. This typically involves a small group of Hrud ‘scouts’ stowing away on a space-faring vessel, carrying with them the essential components of their warp-based technology. When they eventually arrive at a new world, the Hrud set up a secret base and begin stealing the technological items needed to combine with their own components to create a warp gate. Once the gateway is functional, the Hrud Raheed , or ‘masstribe’, begins migrating in earnest to the new location.

XXO2rr8.jpg

Unfortunately the sustained operation of a Hrud warp gate generates an enormous amount of entropic energy, which can have devastating effects on the surrounding environment. Crops turn to dust overnight, organic materials crumble, and residents find themselves aging at an incredibly accelerated rate, often going from spry youths to do doddering old men in a matter of days. These shocking occurrences are often the first indication a human population has that a Hrud infestation is nearby. Since this normally triggers an attempted purge by Imperial authorities, the Hrud usually try to keep their mass migrations secret, but their need to utilize the stolen technology of others, including tapping into energy sources to power their warp gates, sometimes prevents them from setting up their colonies a sufficient distance from human population centers to avoid detection.

There is another woe for those living near Hrud infestations. The scavenging of these stealthy aliens is not limited to material goods: the Hrud also make use of slaves, capturing unwary humans to perform the unskilled labor necessary to keep a colony functioning properly. Many of these slaves die from contact with the toxins perpetually secreted by the Hrud, but those hardy individuals who develop a resistance to the poisons sometimes become valued resources to Hrud settlements, being viewed by some Hrud as loyal ‘pets’, especially if the slave was captured young and stays with the Hrud long enough to forget his or her previous life.

DissectedHrud.jpg

In appearance the Hrud are rarely perceived as anything more that vaguely humanoid shapes, shorter than the human norm, swathed in ragged robes. Sometimes a ratlike tail is glimpsed dragging behind, but beyond this even those who have had first-hand encounters with the Hrud would be hard-pressed to provide any significant details. Even study of Hrud corpses is problematic, as these xenos decompose at an incredible rate, putrefying into a loathsome puddle of toxic liquid shortly after death. Those rare individuals who have seen living Hrud without their traditional robes describe them as hairless creatures with large, black eyes and limbs which are not jointed, like those of humans, but segmented, in the nature of a spine.

HRUD-
WS: 23 BS: 33 S: 25 T: 25 A: (8)43 INT: 35 PER: 33 WP: 35 FEL: 13
MOVE: 3/6/9/18
WOUNDS: 8
SKILLS: Acrobatics, Awareness, Climb, Concealment +20, Contortionist +20, Dodge +10, Forbidden Lore (Xenos), Search, Shadowing +20, Silent Move +10, Speak Language (Hrud), Survival, Tech Use.
TALENTS: Ambidextrous, Exotic Weapon Training (Hrud Fusil), Jaded, Leap Up, Melee Weapon Training, Talented (Concealment).
TRAITS: Dark Sight, Light-Sensitive*, Poison Secretions**, Entropic Aura***, Size: Scrawny, Unnatural Agility.
*All Tests are at -10 in direct sunlight or equivalent illumination.
**The toxins produced by the hrud’s state of semi-decomposition render them dangerous to the touch. Any creature whose bare skin comes into contact with a hrud must pass an Ordinary (+10)Toughness test or lose 1d10 points of Toughness for 1d2 months. If the creature is exposed to these toxic secretions a number of times equal to 10-TB and survives, it develops immunity to hrud poison (most slaves encountered in hrud communities will have developed this immunity).
***Repeated exposure to the corrupting energies of their warp-based technology has led to the hrud permanently radiating an aura of entropic energy. This aura has the following effects: First, it renders hrud immune to the aging effects of their warp gates. Second, it dampens a percentage of light in their vicinity, allowing the hrud to make Concealment tests even while under direct observation. Third, non-living items near a hrud will age approximately 10 times faster than normal. This has little impact on machinery or other metal items; the most obvious consequence of this effect is to cause food to spoil within minutes of being near a hrud. Finally, the entropic aura will cause the body of a slain hrud to decompose at a highly accelerated rate, completely dissolving into a foul, toxic liquid within an hour of death.
ARMOUR: Reinforced robes (3 All; Primitive)
WEAPONS: Hrud Fusil (100m, S/-/-, 2d10 E, Pen 5, Clip: 1, Rld: Full; Overheats, Warp Weapon), Hrud Picknife (1d10+2 I, Pen 1d10, Toxic). Also, there is a 30% chance that a hrud will be carrying a scavenged back-up weapon. These are 75% likely to be some form of standard Imperial pistol, with a 25% chance of being something more exotic, such as a xeno-manufactured weapon which the nomadic hrud picked up during its travels. Scavenged weapons will only have half their clip capacity in ammo remaining. There is a 50% chance that the hrud has practiced with the weapon sufficiently to acquire the appropriate Weapon Training Talent; otherwise, it suffers the normal penalties for unskilled weapon use.
GEAR: 2d10 reloads for the Fusil; miscellaneous tools and other odds and ends stolen from unwary previous owners.

OfOMce5.jpg

About 1 in 20 Hrud will be ‘chieftains’, members of their leadership class. Approximately 25% of Hrud are ‘tinkers’- those charged with building and maintaining the Hrud’s technological implements, from their ever-present fusils to the mysterious warp gates which they use to spread across the galaxy. These items are usually built with scavenged materials around a core of ancient, irreplaceable components which have been handed down from generation to generation since the earliest days of hrud migrations.

HRUD CHIEFTAN-
As Hrud; +5 to all stats; 12 Wounds; add the Navigation: Ground and Security Skills, and the Polyglot Talent. The chieftain will automatically have a scavenged back-up weapon with a full ammunition load, and the appropriate Weapon Talent to use it.

HRUD TINKER-
As Hrud; +5 to BS, A, WP; +10 to Int, Per; add the Chem Use skill and replace Tech Use with Tech Use +20.

--------------

I'm currently working on write-ups of some of the Calixis-native xenos mentioned in The Radical's Handbook ; I'll post those when I'm satisfied with them.

Edited by Adeptus-B

Yea, either great minds think alike, or someone stole some of your concepts. I like it all though. gui%C3%B1o.gif Congrats for thinking on it first!

I’ve been working on descriptions for some of the Calixian xenomorphs mentioned in The Radical’s Handbook . Here is my version of the Morgauth, based on the very brief description on p.200.

MORGAUTH

The Morgauth first came to the attention of the Imperium in the wake of the Angevin Crusade. Indeed, some xenological scholars have hypothesized that the Crusade may have inadvertently led to the technological ascent of this reptilian species. This theory states that it was likely the crash of a battle-damaged Imperial voidship upon the Morgauth’s (as yet unidentified) home planet which inspired the xenos to construct their own spacefaring vessels. This theory is lent credence by the fact that nearly all Morgauth technology is built upon a base of salvaged Imperial components. Indeed, acquiring Imperial technology seems to be the primary pursuit of these xenos, whether by simply scavenging abandoned materials or through aggressive acts of piracy.

Little is officially known about Morgauth culture. Most of the Imperium’s information about their behavior comes second-hand from void-pirates who occasionally engage in trade with the xenos. These accounts portray the Morgauth as cautious, methodical, and pragmatic. While many of their kind have learned to speak Low Gothic, they seem to be incapable of understanding certain human concepts, such as humor and sarcasm. Those who have dealings with the Morgauth quickly learn to keep things simple and straight-forward; the reptilians’ innate pragmatism means they see nothing wrong with resorting to violence to get what they want if they deem another’s behavior to be too confusing.

Physically, the Morgauth are stocky bipeds, somewhat shorter than the Imperial average but much heavier, with hunched backs and short tails. Their reptilian ancestry is plain to see, from their elongated snouts and flicking forked tongues, to their scale-covered hides. Along their backs (from the top of their heads down to their rear haunches) the scales thicken into bony plates, every bit as damage-resistant as Imperial Guard flak armour. Morgauth are typically dark green in colour, fading to a lighter yellowish-green on their bellies- a clear indication that their species evolved from quadrupedal ancestors.

511gYua.jpg

Technologically, the Morgauth can best be described as talented scavengers. Although their bestial appearance may lead some to assume that they must be quite primitive, the truth is that the Morgauth have an innate knack for deciphering Imperial technology, and, being wholly ignorant of the dogmas of the Machine Cult, can be quite creative in repurposing salvaged components. Naturally, this infuriates disciples of the Machine God: representatives of the Lathes have petitioned both the Ordo Xenos and the Calixis Sector government to undertake a campaign of extermination against these ‘blasphemous’ aliens, but neither organization has deemed the Morgauth a substantial enough threat to justify committing the time and resources required to eradicate them outright, when there are so many more immediate threats within the Sector borders.

Of course, those who have been on the receiving end of Morgauth aggression usually have a very different assessment of the threat posed by the reptilians. Their asymmetrical ships prowl the area around the Spinward edge of the Drusian Marches, searching for vulnerable vessels which they can loot with hit-and-run raids. Their boarding actions tend to be as methodical as they are brutal: drill-prowed boarding torpedoes burrow into defending vessels to deliver large numbers of Morgauth raiders, who sweep corridors clear of resistance until they have secured their objective. Although they are rather slow on foot, this rarely proves to be a major impediment in shipboard engagements: the Morgauth have taken to employing mantlets- large, wheeled shields- in the front lines of their boarding actions, making their advances slow but relentless. While shots ring off the Morgauth’s ‘mobile cover’, little can protect the defenders from the xeno’s preferred weapon: the dreaded ‘burn caster’, who’s thermic shells make a mockery of standard armour.

Having no known psykers within their kind with which to navigate the treacherous currents of the warp, the Morgauth rely solely on stable warp corridors to travel between systems. Over the last millennium, they have complied a series of extremely accurate charts of the warp currents adjacent to the Fydae Great Cloud, presumably through the process of trial and error- just how many Morgauth lives and vessels have been lost in this endeavor is anyone’s guess, but the number is no doubt daunting. The fruits yielded by this painstaking labor now allow the Morgauth to travel unimpeded virtually anywhere within half an Imperial Sub-Sector of the Fydae Great Cloud. Rumor has it that the reptilians have even discovered routes through the extreme gravitic fluctuations of the pulsar clusters of the Great Cloud itself, making acquiring a complete set of Morgauth navigational charts a goal of many within the Navis Nobilite, as well as certain radical Inquisitors. Translating them from the Morgauth’s bizarre hieroglyphic language may prove to be problematic, and there are those in positions of power who maintain that the tools of xenos can lead to no destination other than damnation…

MORGAUTH-

WS: 43 BS: 28 S: 45 T: 50 A: 22 INT: 30 PER: 25 WP: 42 FEL: 20

MOVE: 2/4/6/12

WOUNDS: 18

SKILLS: Awareness, Search, Speak Language (Morgauth; 35% chance of Low Gothic), Tech Use +10, Trade (any one), plus one of the following: Demolition, Navigation (Stellar), Pilot (Spacecraft), Scholastic Lore (Astromancy or Chymstry), Security.

TALENTS: Arms Master, Basic Weapon Training ( Flame, Las, SP), Bulging Biceps, Crushing Blow, Die Hard, Exotic Weapon Training (Morgauth Burn Caster), Heavy Weapon Training (SP),Melee Weapon Training (Primitive), Nerves Of Steel, Pistol Training (Las, SP), Resistance (Heat), Technical Knock.

TRAITS: Armour Plating, Cold-Blooded*, Natural Armour (2), Natural Weapon (Bite), Sturdy.

*Toughness is halved against cold-based effects.

ARMOUR: Thick Hide (2 All; Primitive), Bony Plates (4 Rear); in addition, 1 in 5 boarding party members will be equipped with a mantlet (see below).

WEAPONS: Bite (1d10+3 R, Primitive); Scavenged Imperial weapons or Morgauth Burn Caster (20m; S/3/-; 1d10+4 E; Pen: 9; Clip: 12; Rld: 3 Full; Unstable); Basic Weapons will usually be equipped with a Melee Attachment (1d5+7 R; Primitive); 25% chance of a Magna-Storm Grenade (see below).

GEAR: Two weapon reloads

THREAT RATING: Xenos Minoris

NEW EQUIPMENT-

MANTLET: Basically a slab of metal on wheels, mantlets can be used to provide mobile cover, albeit at the cost of speed afoot. Most mantlets incorporate a gunport that can accommodate most Basic and Pistol weapons.

Mantlet: 5 points of Cover from front arc; can’t Charge or Run while in use.

MAGNA-STORM GRENADE: A geodesic ball of metal composed of triangles of magnetized metal, when armed and thrown a magnetic pulse turns the shards into deadly projectiles. In an open environment, the initial blast is all a combatant has to worry about, but in an enclosed space, such as a voidship corridor, the full effect of these xeno-grenades becomes apparent. Tiny magnetic generators launched by the blast attach themselves to the floor and ceiling and produce rapidly alternating positive and negative magnetic pulses, turning the razor-edged shards into a whirling cloud of death. This effect occupies a column as wide as the blast radius and lasts 1d5 rounds; anyone moving through the effect or staying within it from round to round will take damage as if caught in the initial blast. In addition, shots fired through the whirling metal shards have a chance of being deflected. Any Ranged attack with an AP of less than 4 which passes through an active magna-storm effect is negated.

Magna-Storm Grenade: 3xS; S/-/-; 2d10 R; Pen 2; Blast 3 plus Special.

Pretty mundane, almost Star Trek ian xenos, but I think that’s what the description calls for. I’m trying to make my version of the Draethri ( RH p.201) much, much weirder…

Edited by Adeptus-B

I just posted some SPACE HULK VERMIN over in the Deathwatch GM Forum .

Here's my entry in Dark Reign 's recent 'design-a-new-xeno' contest:

HSw9SWc.jpg

-THE KRR’GAAL-

( Verminthiculius Belli )

Of all the noxious xenomorphs inhabiting what was once known as Dread Calix, none were more feared by early Imperial explorers than the infamous Yu’Vath. Compounding the sin of their very existence, in a galaxy rightfully belonging to the Sons of Terra, was the Yu’Vath’s unashamed worship of the Ruinous Powers. Advanced science and unspeakable sorcery combined to earn the Yu’Vath the status of Xenos Extremis in the eyes of the Inquisition. So serious was the threat posed by the Chaos-worshipping aliens that the placement of the home world of the Storm Wardens Space Marine Chapter was calculated specifically to serve as a bulwark against expansion by the Yu’Vath into Imperial territory.

The Yu’Vath must have realized that war with the encroaching Imperium was inevitable, and they prepared accordingly. In particular, they knew from their previous skirmishes with the Strom Wardens that they would need a weapon to counter the might of the Astartes. Toward that end, the Yu’Vath bent their blasphemous science to the task of genetically engineering lower animals into shock troops of unprecedented ferocity: bestial abominations that would come to be known as the Krr’Gaal.

When Lord Angevin launched his blessed Crusade to bring the Light of the Emperor to the benighted realm that would one day become the Calixis Sector, the Yu’Vath unleashed their genetically manipulated warriors. Imperial front-line troops reported contacts with great, hairy monstrosities wielding terrible warp-powered weapons, which tore through the ranks of Guardsmen with abandon. Allied Space Marines were deployed to counter this new threat, and they found themselves facing opponents truly worthy of their divine wrath. Inhumanly strong, seemingly immune to pain, and utterly fearless, these ferocious creatures proved to be a major stumbling block for the forces of the Crusade, requiring a massive commitment of resources- in both manpower and material- to overcome.

As the Crusade ground on, Imperial forces made a chilling discovery: the Yu’Vath had designed their customized shock troops to reproduce at an accelerated rate, replacing their battlefield losses almost as fast as they were incurred. Based on this discovery, the Magos Biologis studying the creatures on behalf of the Imperium dubbed the new xenos ‘Verminthiculius Belli’- war vermin . Although it was later learned that the creatures called themselves Krr’Gaal (undoubtedly a corruption of the actual name used for them by their Yu’Vath masters which is now lost to history), most Imperial leaders continue to refer to the hairy berserkers as Verminthiculians- partly as a ploy to bolster their troops’ morale by equating their enemy to mere vermin, and partly so as not to sully their tongues with the vile language of an accursed xeno-breed.

4JLiq31.jpg

PHYSIOLOGY

Upon seeing a Krr’Gaal for the first time, one might assume that their appearance had been calculated specifically to intimidate opponents- and one would not be far wrong. An adult Krr’Gaal stands nearly three meters tall on its hind legs, with a barrel chest, massively muscled arms, and an elongated snout filled with long, needle-sharp teeth. The leathery skin of these creatures is blue-black, with most of their head and upper body covered with a thick rust-red mane.

There is very little difference between the sexes. Females are slightly larger than males, while males tend to have longer dew-claws on their hind legs. Both sexes have rows of nipples hidden within their manes and share breast-feeding responsibilities; their nipples produce protein-rich blood rather than milk to nourish their rapidly-growing offspring. A newborn Krr’Gaal reaches physical adulthood in just over one standard Imperial year.

Rapid growth is not the only trait which was clearly engineered by the Yu’Vath to enhance their servants’ performance on the battlefield. For instance, the Krr’Gaal’s thick hair secretes an oily substance which acts as a natural flame retardant- a trait highly unlikely to evolve naturally. Also, Krr’Gaal have elaborately hinged hips, which allow them to either walk bipedally, or to drop to all fours in order to gain the benefit of quadrupedal movement.

The Krr’Gaal have also been endowed with certain ingrained instincts that enhance their function as self-replicating warriors. These programmed instincts are not nearly as elaborate as the genetically engineered knowledge and culture of the Orks, but it is more than sufficient to ensure that these barbaric creatures excel in the arts of war, granting them an uncanny knack for wielding nearly any weapon they come across, and an innate grasp of battlefield tactics. More importantly (from their masters’ point of view), they have been bred with a natural eagerness to follow orders from those they perceive as their superiors.

CULTURE

With the fall of their thrice-damned masters, the Yu’Vath, those Krr’Gaal that survived the Angevin Crusade organized into tribal warbands. Having no innate interest in holding territory has resulted in the Krr’Gaal leading a nomadic existence by default. They have no real technology of their own, which has led to them seeking employment as mercenaries in order to acquire what they cannot produce themselves. They are not picky about who they work for: decadent Imperial nobles, Dark Eldar Archons, criminal syndicates, space pirates and- especially- Chaos reavers- all recognize the value of these fearless berserkers.

Interstellar transportation is almost always included in the asking price for the Krr’Gaal’s services, with the Krr’Gaal frequently negotiating to be taken to a wilderness planet after their term of service is complete. There, they create primitive camps and breed and birth their young; pick-up a year or two later at the same location is also arranged, usually involving a second tour of service by the newly-enlarged clan.

Some Krr’Gaal warbands enter into long-term partnerships with groups whose interests in battle and looting mirror those of the Krr’Gaal. This arrangement benefits both parties: the Krr’Gaal enjoy the benefits of access to voidfaring ships, and their allies’ activities are enhanced by the presence of a group of hairy giants wreaking havoc on the battlefront.

The Krr’Gaal continue to revere their long-dead masters, and have produced something of a makeshift religion that revolves around the supposed return of the Yu’Vath. Stories of their progenitors are handed down from generation to generation, and the Krr’Gaal attempt to duplicate their former masters’ warpcraft with ham-handed recreations of Chaos rituals, based on inaccurate descriptions passed down via verbal tradition. These rituals invariably fail to attract the attention of the Ruinous Powers- not only because they are performed incorrectly, but because the bestial Krr’Gaal, wrought from lower animals, do not have true souls with which to tempt warp entities. This fact is not known to the Krr’Gaal themselves, of course, and they would certainly not be pleased to learn the truth…

Devices created by their progenitors are viewed as sacred artifacts by the Krr’Gaal. In particular, the weapons created by the Yu’Vath for their elite shock troops- great polearms with a vibrating mono-edged halberd head at one end and a warp-focusing crystal set into the opposite end- are valued above all else by the modern Krr’Gaal. These artifacts, called chaak’thuul by the Krr’Gaal or ‘warp-pikes’ by members of the Ordo Xenos, serve as both melee and ranged weapons: the massive halberd head can cleave even Astartes armour, while the prism end can emit an arc of focused warp energy. Krr’Gaal will go to nearly any lengths to recover one of these ancestral objects, and a would-be employer who includes one procured from the Cold Trade as part of their payment will almost certainly be able to command a long term of service from a grateful tribe of Krr’Gaal.

KRR’GAAL (ELITE)

WS: 50 BS: 25 S: (10)55 T: 65 Ag: 40 Int: 20 Per: (8)45 WP: 35 Fel: 15

MOVEMENT: 5/10/15/30

WOUNDS: 30

SKILLS: Awareness (Per), Climb (S), Intimidate (S), Lore: Forbidden (Warp) (Int), Navigation: Surface (Int) +20, Shadowing (Ag), Speak Language: Debased Yu’Vath; 50% chance of Low Gothic, 25% chance of Kroot (Int), Silent Move (Ag), Survival (Int) +20, Swim (S), Tactics: Assault Doctrine, Recon and Stealth (Int) +10, Tracking (Int) +20.

TALENTS: Ambidextrous, Autosanguine, Berserk Charge, Basic Weapon Training (Universal), Counter-Attack, Disturbing Voice, Exotic Weapon Training (Warp-Pike), Fearless, Hard Target, Heightened Senses (Smell), Iron Jaw, Jaded, Light Sleeper, Melee Weapon Training (Universal), Resistance (Poison, Psychic Powers), Wall Of Steel.

TRAITS: Fear 1 (Disturbing), Flame Resistant*, Multimodal**, Natural Armour (3), Natural Weapons (Teeth), Size (Hulking), Unnatural Strength (x2), Unnatural Perception (x2).

*FLAME RESISTANT: This creature is treated as having Unnatural Toughness (x2) vs. damage inflicted by weapons with the Flame quality; tests made to resist catching on fire are made using the creatures’ (Unnatural, in this instance) Toughness rather than Agility.

**MULTIMODAL: If this creature’s hands are free, it may choose to move on all fours, gaining the benefit of the Quadruped Trait (doubling Agility Bonus for purposes of calculating Movement). It requires a Half Action to change from bipedal to quadrupedal or vice versa.

ARMOUR: None (3 All; Primitive)

WEAPONS: As provided by employer, or ancestral Warp-Pike:

Warp-Pike (Prism)- Class: Exotic (Basic), Range: 50m, RoF: 1, Dmg: 2d10, Pen: 0, Clip: Unlimited*, Rld: -, Special: Warp Weapon.

*This weapon draws power directly from the warp and cannot run out of ammunition; if a ‘jam’ result is rolled, it loses power for 1d10 rounds.

Warp-Pike (Blade)- Class: Exotic (Melee), Dmg: 1d10+18 (SB included), Pen: 4, Special: Balanced, Razor-Sharp.

GEAR: Leather pouch containing 1d5 days’ rations (usually in the form of dried meat), 2d10 coins, 1d5 knives of varying sizes, 5% chance of a Yu’Vath fetish item.

THREAT RATING: Xenos Moderatus

1mKuUaz.jpg

ADVENTURE SEED: Interrogation of a group of recently captured space pirates revealed that they were en route to a pre-arraigned pick-up of a tribe of Verminthiculians from an isolated Frontier World, who have just gone through a two-year breeding cycle. The Ordo Xenos was promptly informed…

Edited by Adeptus-B

I’m still chipping away on my version of the Draethri; since they are an advanced civilization, it’s proving to be a fair amount of work. To give myself a bit of a break, I decided to ‘stat up’ another, less ‘involved’ race. My curiosity was piqued by a reference on page 71 of Disciples of the Dark Gods . Under the heading ‘The Threat of Dominion’ is this description: “ Some xeno-forms have dark powers to dominate and control humanity by psychic or other means, perhaps even forcing others to worship them as false gods. Abhorred creatures such as the Nostrafex, the Simulacra, and the Cryptos pose insidious and subtle dangers, turning humans against their own and treating them as little more than cattle or playthings .” Simulacra and Cryptos have already been depicted in WH40KRP , but what the heck is a ‘Nostrafex’? There is no Nostrafex entry on Lexicanum , indicating that this quote is probably the only appearance in 40K lore. The name seems to be intended to invoke a vampiric image; this made me think of a picture on page 198 of the latest 40K Rulebook , depicting a collection of xenomorphs, one of which is a bat-like humanoid. I decided this would be a reasonable candidate for a Nostrafex.

Xenos_razas_warhammer.jpg

Something about that monster seemed naggingly familiar, however, and it finally occurred to me that the first edition 40K rulebook (a.k.a. Rogue Trader ) featured a Vampire in its’ bestiary section, accompanied by an illustration of a bat-like humanoid. I never read the description before; I just assumed, given WH40K:RT ’s debt to it’s’ fantasy predecessor, that these Vampires were probably more-or-less straight-forward versions of the Undead creatures from folklore. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that they were in fact xenomorphs, shape-changing aliens with psychic powers, which infiltrate the societies of other races in order to feed on the ‘life-force’ of unsuspecting victims. The vampire legends of Old Earth were just flawed interpretations of what was actually a wide-spread xeno threat- I suspect that the then-recent movie Lifeforce (1985) was the main inspiration.

Vampire.jpg

This settled it: my Nostrafex would be an updated version of the old WH40K:RT -era Vampire. The original vamp had a pretty beefy stat-line, indicating that it should be translated into a high-level opponent in DH - perfect for my purposes, since my players are coming up on Ascension Ranks, and I’ll be needing some powerful Adversaries to throw at them.

Other creatures from WH40K:RT have been introduced into WH40KRP (Enslavers, Psychneuein, Ambulls, etc.), and all of them were significantly altered from their initial appearance, so I didn’t feel obliged to stay strictly true to the WH40K:RT stats. The biggest change I decided to make was to replace the ability to physically change shape (an ability already possessed by a few xenomorphs in WH40KRP ) with a psychic illusion of an alternate form. This seemed more ‘characterful’ to me, and would also explain why vampires avoid mirrors…

So, without further ado, here’s my take on vampires-as-xeno-menace in Dark Heresy .

-NOSTRAFEX-

The galaxy is home to innumerable horrors, things ancient and undying, lurking in the cosmic darkness. Hideous survivals of eldritch aeons prey on young races which are fool enough to believe themselves to be masters of all they survey. Hideous aliens, warp-tainted creatures and daemonic entities all exist on the edges of humanity’s limited perception, often mistaken for mere legends or children’s fright-tales. The Nostrafex are one of these: warp-channeling abominations which feed on life energy itself.

What information the Inquisition has on the parasitic species dubbed the Nostrafex is fragmentary at best, with a handful of anecdotal accounts interspersed among a multitude of rumors and wild speculation. The Holy Ordos have noted the marked similarities between modern encounters with the Nostrafex, and legendary monsters that exist in the oldest legends of Ancient Earth- half-remembered tales of blood-sucking creatures once known by a variety of names: nosferatu, strigoi, vampyr. This has led to the chilling conclusion that one or more of these xeno abominations visited Holy Terra during the infancy of human civilization, and the horror of the encounter left echoes indelibly etched into mankind’s race memory.

Where this vampiric species originated is a mystery. They are an incredibly ancient race which spread throughout the known galaxy long before the ascent of Man. They are endowed with powerful psychic abilities that allow them to manipulate members of other races into becoming their servants, their protectors… and their prey.

usK5Ypf.jpg

According to the few credible accounts the Inquisition has on file, Nostrafex’ natural forms are truly horrible to behold: they are bat-like humanoids, roughly man-sized, with large membranous wings stretched along their arms. This form is almost never seen by those who encounter a Nostrafex, however, for they are able to project a completely convincing psychic illusion into the minds of those around them. This illusion can be of nearly anything the Nostrafex has personally seen in the course of its millennia-spanning lifetime, and can represent even specific individuals.

Nostrafex feed on the life-force of other beings, drawing it out with a special psychic attack. They will only employ this attack in combat only out of desperation; normally it is used against victims that are already under the psychic domination of the Nostrafex, or against victims caught by surprise or while sleeping. A cautious Nostrafex will use its considerable psychic abilities to wipe all memory of this attack from the minds of victims. While maintaining a cover identity, a Nostrafex will normally spread its attacks among a number of individuals, to avoid draining any one victim to death- for not only does a strange death risk drawing unwanted attention, but the warp-taint of a Nostrafex’ energy-draining attack causes the body of a victim to subsequently reanimate as a warp zombie, a walking corpse which is driven to attack the living.

A Nostrafex needs to drain the life-force of other beings in order to survive. If it does not regularly consume this energy, it will weaken until it falls into a seemingly lifeless state. The Nostrafex retains a degree of consciousness and a dim perception of its surroundings, but it cannot take any physical actions, appearing for all intents and purposes to be dead. A successful Psyniscience Test can reveal that a dormant Nostrafex body is still psychically active, albeit at a much-reduced level. It can be brought out of its ‘dead’ state via a sorcerous ritual that involves a blood sacrifice; usually this is performed by an unwitting lackey under the Nostrafex’ psychic influence. A newly-revived Nostrafex will be ravenous- this is when these horrors are at their most dangerous.

wIj6E5L.jpg

These aliens seemingly have no technology of their own, relying entirely on the devices of other races to accomplish anything beyond their own abilities. Indeed, one of their goals in infiltrating the societies of other races is to gain access to space travel, for the Nostrafex seek to avoid their own kind, whom they instinctively regard as rivals- a drive that has led to them spreading across the galaxy, while simultaneously keeping their numbers quite limited. On the rare occasions when two Nostrafex occupy the same territory, they will almost always be a mated pair.

Nostrafex typically assume positions of authority within the societies they infiltrate, either by killing existing leaders and assuming their identities, or by using their considerable psychic abilities to quickly advance within the societal structure. Being perceived as a member of a society’s ruling elite makes it easier for the Nostrafex to conceal their true nature, since they can then dictate the conditions with which they interact with the local populace. In addition to the practical advantages of being in leadership positions, it is assumed that this practice also satisfies the Nostrafex’ personal egos, as they see themselves as inherently ‘above’ other races, and thus dislike assuming identities that put them on the same social level as a world’s general populace.

Extremely cunning, with the equivalent of many human lifetimes’ worth of experience to call upon, a Nostrafex can usually keep its activities concealed from any who could pose a potential threat. However, centuries without a challenge can lead to a Nostrafex growing complacent, even reckless. A growing number of walking dead plaguing a backwater community could be the handiwork of warp-dabblers, a blasphemous cult, daemonic infestation, or possibly- just possibly- a hungry Nostrafex…

NOSTRAFEX-
WS: 65 BS: 35 S: 55 T (10) 50 A: 45 INT: 75 PER: 45 WP: 80 FEL: 45
MOVE: 4/8/12/24
WOUNDS: 40
SKILLS: Acrobatics (Ag) +10, Awareness (Per) +20, Charm (Fel) +20, Ciphers- Xeno Markings (Int), Climb (S) +20, Common Lore: Imperium (Int), Concealment (Ag) +20, Deceive (Fel) +20, Dodge (Ag) +20, Forbidden Lore: Arcana, Warp, Xenos (Int), Literacy (Int), Psyniscience (Per) +20, Scholastic Lore: Archaic (Int), Scrutiny (Per), Search (Per) +10, Shadowing (Agility) +20, Silent Move (Ag) +20, Speak Language: High Gothic, Low Gothic, 2d5 others (Int).
TALENTS: Favoured By The Warp, Fearless, Furious Assault, Hatred (Nulls), Leap Up, Psy Rating (4), Step Aside, Sure Strike, Takedown, Weapon Training (Universal).
TRAITS: The Emperor Protects!*, Fear (2- true form only), Flyer (4), Improved Natural Weapons (Teeth and Claws), Sonar Sense, The Stuff of Nightmares, Unhallowed**, Unnatural Toughness (x2), Vampiric***.

*If presented by an Aquila held forth by one of true faith, the Nostrafex must succeed in a Very Hard (-30) Willpower test to advance or attack that person.

**Weapons with the Holy/Consecrated quality ignore this creature’s Unnatural Toughness Trait.

***A Nostrafex must drain at least 10 points of Willpower from a sentient being every 24 hours via its Drain Life-Force psychic power (see below), or gain 1 level of Fatigue that cannot be removed by any means other than successfully feeding on a victim. These levels of Fatigue are cumulative; if they equal or exceed the Nostrafex’ Toughness Bonus, it falls into a deathlike state of suspended animation. It can take no physical action, but is still semi-conscious, with Intelligence, Willpower, and Psi Rating reduced by half. It gains the Unnatural Senses (10) Trait, and will attempt to use its limited psychic abilities to influence any individual that comes within this range to perform the blood ritual necessary to revive it- either through outright domination or with promised of wealth and power. A Nostrafex can remain dormant almost indefinitely.

ARMOUR: None.

WEAPONS: Claws/Bite (1d10+5 R), or as appropriate for cover identity.

GEAR: As appropriate for cover identity.
PSYCHIC POWERS: Nostrafex have access to all Minor Powers and all Telepathy Discipline Powers (with Discipline Mastery), and two powers specific to their kind: Glamour and Drain Life-Force.

GLAMOUR (Threshold: 9; Focus Time: Full Action; Sustained: Yes [see below]; Range: You) The Nostrafex is capable of projecting a completely convincing psychic illusion of another form. This illusion can be of any creature of Average-size, or one size category larger or smaller, which the Nostrafex has previously encountered, and it effects all senses (sight, sound, touch, etc.). Since the illusion is being projected directly into the mind of the observer, it effects- or seems to effect- artificial senses. Recording devices are not fooled, however, nor are simple mirrors, which reveal a Nostrafex as it truly is. A successful Psyniscience Test will reveal the presence of a psychic illusion, but at least two Degrees of Success are required to perceive the Nostrafex’ real form.

The Glamour can be maintained indefinitely (even while asleep or in suspended animation) without requiring additional Power Rolls, but it adds 4 to the Threshold of additional powers like normal; one of the rare instances when a Nostrafex may willingly drop the Glamour and reveal its’ true form is when it needs to employ multiple psychic powers simultaneously.

DRAIN LIFE-FORCE (Threshold: 20; Focus Time: Full Action; Sustained: No; Range: Touch) Nostrafex feed by draining life energy from sentient beings. This takes the form of a special psychic attack. If the Power Roll is successful, the Nostrafex and the target make opposed Willpower tests; if the target wins, there is no effect. If the Nostrafex wins, the victim is drained of 1d10 points of Willpower, plus one point per Degree of difference between the two results. A Nostrafex which ‘feeds’ in this way may remove one level of Fatigue or heal one point of damage (or combinations thereof) per point of Willpower drained.

Anyone who has lost Willpower to this attack treats any subsequent Willpower Tests to resist psychic powers from that Nostrafex as one level more difficult. Lost points of Willpower return slowly, at a rate of 1 point per month if the Nostrafex is still alive; if it is subsequently slain, points return at a rate of 1 per day.

Any victim which has its’ Willpower reduced to zero by this power immediately dies. Worse, the drained corpse, tainted with warp energy by the unholy attack, will reanimate as a Warp Zombie (see below) if not subjected to proper exorcism rituals of remove the lingering corruption.

WARP ZOMBIE

Beings with a warp resonance, or ‘soul’, which are killed by a Nostrafex’ Drain Life-Force psychic power will reanimate 1d10 hours later as a Warp Zombie. Apply the following changes to the victim’s original profile: +10 S, -10 A, -10 WP, replace Int score with 10, no BS or Fel, +5 Wounds. A Warp Zombie loses access to all Skills and Talents. It gains the following Traits: Consume Life*, Dark Sight, Fear 1, From Beyond, Natural Weapons, Unhallowed **, Unnatural Toughness (x2), Walking Dead***. The body of a Warp Zombie will decompose over time, depending on climatic conditions. Feeding via the Consume Life Trait slows the rate of decomposition.

*For every sentient, living creature the Warp Zombie kills it immediately recovers 1d5 lost Wounds (this cannot take it above its starting total).

**Weapons with the Holy/Consecrated quality ignore this creature’s Unnatural Toughness Trait.

***An animated corpse, propelled into life by dark forces is, as might be imagined, quite difficult to ‘kill’. These creatures do not need to breathe; they do not tire and are immune to poisons and diseases, as well as many environmental hazards. They do not suffer the effects of being Stunned or penalties for being injured. In addition, only Critical Wounds suffered to the Head or Body can destroy them- any damage suffered to the Arm or Leg simply renders that limb useless.

DByDf4H.jpg

The following is an example of the Warp Zombie ‘template’ applied to a typical Imperial citizen:

WS: 20 BS: - S: 40 T (6) 30 A: 20 INT: 10 PER: 30 WP: 20 FEL: -
MOVE: 2/4/6/-
WOUNDS: 15
SKILLS: None.
TALENTS: None.
TRAITS: Consume Life (see above), Dark Sight, Fear 1, From Beyond, Natural Weapons (Claw/Bite), Unhallowed (see above), Unnatural Toughness (x2), Walking Dead (see above).

ARMOUR: None, or whatever was worn at the time of reanimation.

WEAPONS: Bite/Claw (1d10+4 R; Primitive) or Improvised Weapon (1d10+2 I; Primitive).

GEAR: None, or whatever was carried at the time of reanimation (although the Warp Zombie no longer knows how to use any items carried except as an Improvised Weapon).

Edited by Adeptus-B

This is a great thread!

Just a question - could we open this thread up for other GMs to post their own custom races in as well? I was thinking that maybe that way we can all profit from each other's hard work by providing some suitably unique and unforeseen curveball races for our players.

Just a question - could we open this thread up for other GMs to post their own custom races in as well?

Absolutely- the more the merrier!

-The Grandchildren-

It has been observed by the strategos of the Ordo Malleus that when the accursed armies of the Traitor Legions attack in force they are often accompanied by hordes of degenerate followers. Collectively known as ‘the Slaves to Darkness’ many of these malcontents are mutants, twisted parodies of men that come in such variety that they defy attempts to classify them. What is known to only a few members of the Holy Ordos is that certain xenos species who have likewise fallen to the Ruinous Powers will also gather to the armies the Traitor Legions as a moth is attracted to flame.

Of particular note to the Ordo Malleus and the Ordo Xenos alike are the wretched alien abominations known as ‘The Grandchildren’. These creatures were first classified by Ordo Malleus Interrogator Hoffkriler in M39. Hoffkriler believed them to be potentially a previously unknown abhuman sub-species that had in mankind’s ancient past succumbed en masse to the predations of the Fly Lord. It was only in Mid M41 that Brother Apocathary Juriso of the Red Scorpions confirmed, during the Deathwatch Purging of Cleygan IV, that these creatures were in fact a xenos species in their own right.

Very little is known of ‘the Grandchildren’. Indeed even their name is only reluctantly used by Imperial authorities for want of a more appropriate title. The name itself originated as a moniker used by Traitor Space Marines of the Death Guard Legion who have been observed fighting alongside the xenos.

The Grandchildren appear as large humanoids between six and seven foot in height on average and generally far bulkier than a human. The xenos race apparently succumbed either voluntarily or by corruption to the depredations of Nurgle the Chaos God of Plague. They always show extensive sign of rot, mutation and disease. The faces of The Grandchildren are invariably a hideous mass of rotting flesh and exposed bone and muscle with few discernable features except that often a long beak will protrude from the bubbling decomposing thing that used to be a head.

The bodies of the xenos juxtapose bloated torsos with long sinewy arms. Despite the apparent lack of muscle density on the arms the creatures are fully capable of crushing a man’s skull with their bare hands.

The legs of the xenos are thick and muscular implying that the upper limbs represent diseased emaciation rather than a natural body shape. Such varied abnormal conditions are typical of those who have pledged allegiance to the Fly Lord. The Grand Children’s feet are always anisodactyl which was one of the major indicators that these creatures represented a separate xenos species rather than mutation.

Beyond these vaguely common features The Grandchildren display a wide range of mutations as horrifying as they are bizarre. Strange blood types including acid are not unknown, neither are additional limbs or other appendages such as tails.

It is believed that the Grandchildren used to have a civilisation that was corrupted long before mankind’s ascension to the stars and certain Ordo Xenos explorators have posited that ancient derelict space craft found on the borders of the Halo Stars may have once belonged to them. Whatever the truth of the matter, the xenos race is now far degenerated and have little extant understanding of even basic technology. They only occasionally use fire arms and these are inevitably examples of weapons scavenged from defeated foes. Likewise they seem only able to travel between the stars on Space Hulks or by allying themselves to Chaos Warbands.

None-the–less they must have a special place in the designs of Nurgle as other followers of that foul god are more than willing to allow The Grandchildren to fight alongside them. For example Brother Sgt Ulivas of the Sons of Goliath 10 th company identified a Chaos Sorcerer of the Death Guard leading a group of no less than two dozen Grandchildren into battle at the siege of Kallaz.

More disturbing is the xenos species affinity to daemons. While other followers of Nurgle show appropriate respect and deference to their demonic allies and masters, the Grandchildren display a worrying degree of familiarity and on occasion petulant indifference to the presence of the Plague Lord’s daemons. For their part Nurgle daemons will often view the barbaric xenos with a degree of affection displayed in their own way.

Plague Bearers for example will be sure to begin their tally with those Grandchildren that are present on the battlefield, while at the same time trying to herd the Grandchildren out of harm’s way. A fruitless task as the xenos species displays an eagerness to do battle.

Beasts of Nurgle will often bound over to the Grand Children eager to play. As the xenos appear completely immune to all manner of diseases they are a source of great joy to the Beasts who find playmates who don’t fall still as other mortals are wont to do.

The only Nurgle deamons who resent the Greandchildrens presence are Nurglings who grow jealous of the attention they receive from other Plague daemons and particularly Great Unclean Ones. The Grandchildren for their part seem oblivious to the behaviour shown by the denizens of the warp and seem driven only by a desire to destroy.

There are three classes or castes of Grandchildren that have been, tentatively, identified through cooperation between the Ordo Malleus and the Ordo Xenos. These are Degenerates, Flamini, Putresitants

Putresitants are the most common type of Grandchild. They are large brutal creatures. They normally gather in groups (designated as flocks) of between a dozen and thirty. Flocks of more than fifty are extremely rare and only on one occasion has a flock of more than hundred individuals been seen. The Putresitants use primitive but effective weapons found or scavenged, favouring axes and blunt instruments. They are generally silent, verbally communicating only rarely. When they do communicate openly it is with short high pitched screeches. These sounds can carry over a wide distance.

The Putresitants defy any attempts to communicate even if a being was foolish enough to attempt o do so with such obviously corrupted beings. They will immediately attempt to destroy any creature not aligned to Nurgle. It should be noted that they have an unknown method of detecting allegiance to the Fly Lord and any cultist even if baring no mark will be quite safe in their presence.

The Degenerates represent particularly large and heavily mutated examples of Grandchildren. They are noted for being at least a foot taller as well as being faster stronger and more aggressive. They are also notably less intelligent. Whereas the Putresitants will use rudimentary tactics such as lying in ambush the Degenerates will simply locate the largest concentration of enemies and charge headlong.

Flamini are a rare caste of Grandchild. They display far more intelligence than Putresitants and will occasionally even use scavenged fire arms. They do not necessarily act as strategic leaders for the Grandchildren but will act as mediators with other Chaos Warbands particularly those who serve gods other than Nurgle. A few demonstrate a rudimentary grasp of languages other than the screeching that passes for language amongst the Grandchildren.

They often display psychic and sorcerous abilities although the exact efficacy of these abilities varies enormously. Those that have sufficient skill or raw power will often try to summon daemons of Nurgle. Their attempts are often crude and they rarely attempt to bind the warp denizens they summon. However due to the affection shown them by the Plague Lord these attempts rarely result in any ill effects for the Flamini.

Putresitants

WS: 37 BS : 10 St: 40 T: (6)38 Ag: 35 Int: 20 Per: 40 Wp: 40 Fel: 14

Move : 3/6/12/18 Wounds: 17

Skills: Concealment Forbidden Lore (Deamons) Intimidate Silent Move Speak Language (Grandchild) Survivial

Talents: Basic Weapon Training (Primitive) Crushing Blow

Traits: Brutal Charge, * Favoured of Nurgle, Fear (2), From Beyond, Mutation 75% of one minor. 25% of one Major Sonar Sense Unnatural Toughness (x2)

* Favoured of Nurgle: The Grandchildren seem to have the favour of the Fly Lord. They are completely immune to all toxins, disease, poisons and acids regardless of source type or strength. They are not however immune to fire which effects them as normal.

Armour: None.

Weapons: Large axe or mace 1D10+7*; I or R; Pen: 0 [Primitive]**

*Includes SB & Crushing Blow

**There is a chance that better forged weapons will have either been scavenged or provided by Chaos Warbands that the Grand Children have had contact with in which case the Primative quality should be removed.

Threat Rating: Xenos Minoris

Degenerates

WS: 47 BS: 07 S: 50 T: (8)43 Ag: 40 Int: 15 Per: 40 Wp: 40 Fel: 07

Move: 4/8/16/32 Wounds : 25

Skills: Forbidden Lore (Daemons) Intimidate+20 Speak Language (Grandchild) Survival

Talents: Basic Weapon Training (Primitive) Crushing Blow Frenzy, Swift Attack

Traits: Brutal Charge, Favoured of Nurgle* Fear (2), From Beyond, Mutation. Will have one minor and one major 75% of additional minor mutation. Sonar Sense Unnatural Toughness (x2)

* Favoured of Nurgle: The Grandchildren seem to have the favour of the Fly Lord. They are completely immune to all toxins, disease, poisons and acids regardless of source type or strength. They are not however immune to fire which effects them as normal.

Armour : None

Weapons: Weapons: Large axe or mace 1D10+8*; I or R; Pen: 0 [Primitive]**

**There is a chance that better forged weapons will have either been scavenged or provided by Chaos Warbands that the Grand Children have had contact with in which case the Primative quality should be removed.

Flamini

WS: 37 BS: 18 St: 40 T: (6)38 Ag: 35 Int: 35 Per: 40 Wp: 48 Fel: 28

Move: 3/6/12/18 Wounds: 17

Skills: Concealment, Forbidden Lore (Daemons +20) (Traitor Legions) Intimidate Silent Move, Speak Language (Grandchild) [May also be able to speak a debased form of Low Gothic] Survival

Talents: Basic Weapon Training (Primitive) Crushing Blow, 50% of Psychic Rating*

*If the Flamini is a psyker determine it’s rating by rolling a D10 and consulting the following chart

1-6 ; Indicates a psychic rating equal to the result

7: Roll again to determine psychic rating. In addition the Flamini has summoned a minor daemon aligned to nurgle (use Fury stats DH Core Rule Book pg352). This daemon is not under the control of the Grandchildren but is naturally cooperative and will seek to destroy the xenos enemies.

8; Roll again to determine psychic rating. In addition the Flamini has summoned a plague bearer (DH Core Rule Book pg354). This daemon is not under the control of the Grandchildren but is naturally cooperative and will seek to destroy the xenos enemies.

9: Roll again to determine psychic rating. In addition the Flamini has summoned a Beast of Nurgle (Daemon Hunters pg98). This daemon is not under the control of the Grandchildren but is naturally cooperative and will seek to destroy the xenos enemies (or more likely stay in the company of the xenos creatures and play).

10: Roll again to determine psychic rating. In addition the Flamini has summoned a major deamon of Nurgle. This will either have equivalent stats to an unbound deamon host (DH Core Rule Book pg355) or a Herald of Nurgle (Daemon Hunters pg84 & 92). This daemon is not under the control of the Grandchildren but is naturally cooperative and will seek to destroy the xenos enemies.

Note: It is quite possible with the appropriate rolls for a Flamini to have summoned a small pack of deamon allies. The important point for a GM to remember is that the daemons of Nurgle will not harm the Grandchildren but neither are they controlled or bound to them in anyway. Generally they will be happy to destroy the obvious enemies of the xenos but in the right circumstances could also grow frustrated by the aliens and decide to depart back to the warp.

Traits: Brutal Charge, * Favoured of Nurgle, Fear (2), From Beyond, Mutation 75% of one minor. 25% of one Major Sonar Sense Unnatural Toughness (x2).

* Favoured of Nurgle : The Grandchildren seem to have the favour of the Fly Lord. They are completely immune to all toxins, disease, poisons and acids regardless of source type or strength. They are not however immune to fire which effects them as normal.

Armour: None.

Weapons: Large axe or mace 1D10+7*; I or R; Pen: 0 [Primitive]**

10% chance of scavenged fire arm (generally SP). If this is case Flamini should have appropriate Weapon Training to use weapon.

**There is a chance that better forged weapons will have either been scavenged or provided by Chaos Warbands that the Grand Children have had contact with in which case the Primitive quality should be removed.

Psychic Powers: Vary enourmously but will generally include powers with equivilent effects to the Biomancy discipline. Also sorcerous powers are widely employed along with psychic powers dedicated to Nurgle. Exact powers should be determined by the GM.

Adventure Seed

Word has reached the ears of the Inquisition that Rogue Trader Captain De Hona has returned to the Sector's main space port with salvage from a Hulk he boarded during his last great voyage. Rumour has it that he plans to hold a ceromony unveiling his discoveries and hold a great auction of archeotech and approved xenos artifacts. The Inquistion are sending the acolytes to observe the proceedings and intercept any items that could prove undesirable to the health and morals of the Imperial citizenry. When the PCs arrive they find the space port transmitting a continuous distress signal. The port shows signs of a vicious fight and is empty accept for the mutilated and rapidly decaying bodies of the would-be buyers.

This seems like a more serious situation than just a dissatisfied customer.....

Edited by Visitor Q

I was digging through my old issues of White Dwarf recently, and in issue #263 (Dec. 2001) I came across an article describing a new character for the Inquisitor skirmish game: an alien bounty hunter named ‘Krashrak the Stalker’, who is a member of a minor xeno race known as the Viskeons. In that game, Krashrak is employed by a borderline-Radical inquisitor, which got me thinking that Viskeons could be a fun addition to Dark Heresy . The brief description from that issue is as follows:

…Viskeons are ectotherms, absorbing their heat and energy from the surrounding environment. Their home world was once hot and parched, wreathed in endless deserts, impregnable jungles and sweeping plains, perfect environs for a cold-blooded species. The young warriors would frequently leave their home world to fight and prove their mettle before returning home… The Viskeons were a proud, martial race, whose warrior code did not permit the use of ranged weaponry. To face an opponent in battle, blade to blade, was the supreme honor one warrior could pay another. Anything less was unthinkable. Many of the Viskeons plied their trade as mercenaries, bounty hunters and the like, and their skill at arms was highly valued

(The Viskeon home world is referred to in the ‘past tense’ in the article because it was destroyed by Tyranids during the Second Tyrannic War, at some point after the conflict on Ichar IV, but this occurs over a century after the standard DH start date, so that need not be an issue.)

Viskeons are broad-shouldered and somewhat hunchbacked, with hairless bodies covered in coarse blue-gray skin. They have long arms with bone spurs emerging from the skin to form anchor points for powerful muscles. They have noseless, beetle-browed faces with deep-set, blood-red eyes; while distinctly inhuman, their expressions nonetheless easily convey their mood. The males have a bony spike protruding from the back of their skulls.

The brief WD description makes Viskeons a good choice for xeno henchmen serving a well-paying employer- potentially under official Sanction. An alien bounty hunter dispatched by a rival Inquisitor to track down the same target(s) as the Acolytes, or a powerful xeno bodyguard working for a wealthy suspect could certainly spice up an otherwise straight-forward mission. Alternately, finding a Sanctioned Xeno temporarily assigned to their group by their Inquisitor could provide an interesting rollplaying opportunity if the PCs - especially if they are more Puritanical than their patron…

This is probably a good time to summarize the rules for Sanctioned Xenos operating within the Imperium, as presented in the Rogue Trader supplement Into the Storm :

SPEAK NOT UNTO THE ALIEN (TRAIT)

This character is a member of an alien species, viewed with a mixture of fear and loathing by those of other species, and so is essentially different in form and thought that any kind of social interaction is a significant challenge.

This creature counts all Fellowship-based tests as being two steps more difficult when dealing with creatures of a species other than their own. Additionally, those of the other species treat their Fellowship-based tests as being two steps more difficult when dealing with him. These penalties do not apply when dealing with those who have come to trust the xenos, for whatever reason (although the final arbiter of this is the GM).

- Into the Storm , p.46

MEDICAL ATTENTION

Because the use of the Medicae Skill is oriented primarily toward humans, treating a Xeno creature of any kind is a challenge. Any Medicae Tests used on a [xeno] are automatically one degree harder in difficulty. Typically, human-made drugs have little or no effect upon a [xeno], although poisons and toxins have their normal effect. The GM should decide if a particular drug should effect a [xeno], and to what extent.

Into the Storm , p.48

SANCTIONED XENOS (TRAIT)

You have been vouched for and deemed sufficiently valuable to the Imperium that you may live on within Imperial space for as long as you remain in the service of your employer and the Imperium of Man. You are now permitted to set foot on Imperial worlds, so long as your mark is clearly shown and your employer is present to vouch for your Sanctioning. Because of this, and because you have acquired greater familiarity with the Imperium in your travels than most of your kind, you eliminate the penalty on Interaction or Fellowship tests from being non-human (such as that from Speak Not Unto The Alien), so long as the person to whom you are speaking is aware of and understands the nature of your Sanstioning.

Into the Storm , p.108

These rules are intended to be applied to Xeno PCs in RT , but they provide a good ‘frame of reference’ for incorporating Sanctioned Xeno NPCs into DH .

VISKEON BOUNTY HUNTER-

WS: 65 BS: 10 S: (10)56 T: 50 A: 48 Int: 38 Per: 45 WP: 45 Fel: 20

MOVEMENT: 4/8/12/24

WOUNDS: 20

SKILLS: Acrobatics (Ag), Awareness (Per), Barter (Fel) +10, Climb (S), Common Lore: Imperium (Int), Concealment (Ag), Dodge (Ag), Forbidden Lore: Xenos (Viskeon only- Int) +20, Intimidate (Str), Medicae (Viskeon only- Int), Navigation: Surface (Int), Search (Per), Shadowing (Ag), Speak Language: Viskeon, Low Gothic (Int), Survival (Int), Tracking (Int).

TALENTS: Ambidextrous, Counter-Attack, Deflect Shot, Disarm, Exotic weapon Training (Shockthrottle), Furious Assault, Hardy, Melee Weapon Training (All), Nerves of Steel, Peer (Viskeons), Sure Strike, Takedown, Two-Weapon Wielder, Wall of Steel.

TRAITS: Cold Blooded*, Ectotherm**, Heat Sense***, Sanctioned Xeno (optional- see above), Speak Not Unto The Alien (see above), Spit Acid (weapon profile below), Unnatural Strength.

*Toughness is halved against cold-based damage.

**A Viskeon’s system of heat absorbtion causes the alien to grow sluggish and lethargic in noon-day warmth, but capable of great bursts of speed in the cool of night. During mid-day, a Viskeon suffers -10 to Weapon Skill and Agility and loses the Unnatural Strength Trait; near mid-night a Viskeon gains +10 to Weapon Skill and Agility, and +5 Strength and Toughness. This assumes a temperate-to-tropical environment with a roughly 24-hour planetary rotation; the effects of more extreme environments are subject to the GM’s discretion.

This ability also makes a Viskeon difficult to locate via auspex or other Imperial scanning device keyed to identify body heat and other conventional life signs. Unless the device in question has been specifically calibrated for Viskeon physiology, they suffer a -20 penalty to differentiate a Viskeon from the surrounding environment.

***A Viskeon can perceive the presence of heat sources (body heat or stronger) within 5 meters, unless obscured by environmental conditions (such as strong rain).

ARMOUR: Carapace Chest Plate (6 Body).

WEAPONS: Shockthrottle (2m; 1d10+10 R; Pen 0; Clamp, Injector, Dummy Cord [see below]), Knife (1d5+10 R; Pen: 0; Primitive).

GEAR: 1d5 knives, tribal runic talisman (counts as hexagramatic ward), backpack w/ 2 weeks’ rations, manacles, 2d10 Thrones.

THREAT RATING: Xenos Minoris

[The description in White Dwarf also lists multiple special abilities derived from the drug ‘chlorintone’, but since it is specified that these effects are due to Krashrak having “-developed a unique relationship with the substance”, the effects are not included for this ‘generic’ Viskeon.]

NEW EQUIPMENT-

SHOCKTHROTTLE: A multipronged weapon that serves as both a short spear and a mancatcher, popular among Viskeon bounty hunters. If an attack hits a limb location with three or more Degrees of Success, the serrated jaws of the shockthrottle clamp tight, pinning the target in the Viskeon’s grasp. A clamped limb cannot be used until a Hard (-20) Strength Test or a Challenging (+0) Contortionist Test frees the limb, or the controller of the shockthrottle releases the limb as a free action.

Some shockthrottles also incorporate a needle that injects anyone caught by the shockthrottle with a drug or toxin stored in a reservoir within the haft. This is a special attack that adds an additional 1d5 points of damage to the initial clamp attack; if this damage exceeds Armour and Toughness, the drug or toxin is injected into the target. The reservoir can store up to three doses, and requires 3 ull Actions to reload.

Viskeons usually employ chain ‘dummy cords’ to attach their primary weapon to their wrist. This adds +20 to the opposed Weapon Skill Test to avoid being Disarmed; even if the Test is failed, the weapon does not fall to the ground and can be recovered as a Half Action- and it cannot be taken by an opponent unless he or she passes a Very Hard (-30) Strength Test.

Shockthrottle: Class: Melee (Exotic); Range: 2m; Dam:1d10; Pen: 0; Special: Clamp, Injector, Dummy Cord (see description above).

Edited by Adeptus-B

A bit late maybe...

On ‎2014‎-‎03‎-‎18 at 3:03 AM, Adeptus-B said:

[The description in White Dwarf also lists multiple special abilities derived from the drug ‘chlorintone’, but since it is specified that these effects are due to Krashrak having “-developed a unique relationship with the substance”, the effects are not included for this ‘generic’ Viskeon.]

I would have 'chlorintone use' [or whatever you want to call it] as a selectable Tallant. Even if the WB originally said that Krashrak was unique in his relationship with the drug so have GW often ignored its own continuity when it fits them so I see no problem if we, the RPG-players, do the same and it gives the players mor opinions for the xeno character.

Chlorintone would then be a new Equipment that the Viskeon need to have in possesion to use the 'chlorintone use' tallant