Animate Weapons question

By Dr.Zero2, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hi to all,

simple question:

the text of animate weapons says "[...]Each hero in the DUNGEON must roll a power die[...]", so can I use this trap only in the dungeon or even in the outside encounter?

thanks a lot

I don't remember if this was officially answered in the FAQ or not, but common agreement is that all Overlord cards which say 'in the dungeon" may also be used outside. The reasoning is that most (if not all) such cards come from expansions which predate Road to Legend, so there was no such thing as a map that wasn't "in the dungeon" when the cards were written.

By the same logic, anything which "adds a black die" will, in AC games, provide a power die upgrade , and can thus be used to pip a black die up to silver if the given figure's attack roll is already full on power dice. Again, because the mechanic to upgrade dice didn't exist when the cards were written.

Steve-O said:

I don't remember if this was officially answered in the FAQ or not, but common agreement is that all Overlord cards which say 'in the dungeon" may also be used outside. The reasoning is that most (if not all) such cards come from expansions which predate Road to Legend, so there was no such thing as a map that wasn't "in the dungeon" when the cards were written.

What?
I don't believe there is common agreement on this. If any, I was under the impression that the most common agreement,with a few vocal opponents (especially germans since the german edition has a different translation), was that such cards could not be used in encounters.

Fact is the few cards with this wording are very, very powerful - game breakingly powerful. There is already a minor issue with Wind Pact being more or less a required skill for the heroes to prevent the OL winning. Allowing these cards make it even more mandatory. The AC is better off with them not being allowed in encounters, and hey, thats even what the actual words on the cards say!

Steve-O said:

By the same logic, anything which "adds a black die" will, in AC games, provide a power die upgrade , and can thus be used to pip a black die up to silver if the given figure's attack roll is already full on power dice. Again, because the mechanic to upgrade dice didn't exist when the cards were written.

Logic has nothing to do with this - its explicit in the rules/FAQ.