Next Board Innsmouth... please?

By Stromcrow, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

I know that "Black Goat of the Woods" just came out, but since "Dark Pharaoh" I Have waited for Innsmouth. I noticed that there isn't Deep Ones among the monter tokens, and "Innsmouth Horror" has a very nice ring to it.

Shadow over Innsmouth has been my favourite Lovecraft's tale since I was a kid, so each time the company announces a new expansion of Arkham Horror, I been hoping that the Deep-Ones will come along (with a "Dagon" Herald, maybe?).

Is there a new board of Arkham planned?

And for the players, I don't know how could a new board work - what do you think?

Stormcrow.

I too would like to see Deep Ones and Dagon.

All we know about the Innsmouth expansion so far is that it will include Bokrug as the Ancient One. But rest assured, the next "big" expansion will be Innsmouth. Likely, it will be the next expansion released.

I did not read Shadow over Innsmouth but I played now quite old pc game Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of Earth and I really want to see Innsmouth expansion too...

It seems to me, since I started following this game a couple summers ago, is that everyone wants Innsmouth . And I am sure FFG will comply, they would be foolish to ignore it.

However, I think Innsmouth may be the last big box expansion they do. That is why Kingsport slipped in first. I think people happily bought up Kingsport to tide them over until Innsmouth . But if they had been released in the other order, salesfor Kinsport might not have been so high and there would have been more cries that they are just trying to milk the line.

I don't know if there is anything else they would slip in before Innsmouth so it seems likely that will be the next expansion. I would think they may keep injecting small box expansions for as long as there is an interest.

If they want to do larger expansions after Innsmouth , I would hope they take the route of A Game of Thrones or War of the Rings and include basically a new game that uses components from the base game. My table can't hold AH, DH, and KH now, let alone IH later. But a separate board, like Mountainf of Madness, or expeditions to the Arctic or Europe or wherever would be a nice addition and probably bolster the line post-Innsmouth.

Wow you mean I need to add another extension to my dining room table. The only thing I like more than additional boards is a place to put them. I can't wait!!

ColtsFan76 said:

I don't know if there is anything else they would slip in before Innsmouth so it seems likely that will be the next expansion.

as you already hinted at, they could do a small (or large) expansion around the mountains of madness story (one of lovecrafts longest story's).

I just hope they add a good mechanic, preferably one related to the monster movement like kingsport, since that at least makes the board usable in contradiction to Dunwich. But I hope there will be a lot less confusion with powers related to investigators (i.e. Monk and politician), and last but not least I'd like to see an epic FAQ of everything.

Innsmouth... mmmmmm... that would be pretty darn nifty.

How many more geographical locations could be made into a board? I haven't read all of Lovecraft's stories, so beside Kingsport, Miskatonic, Dunwich and Innsmouth, how many other "famous" ones are there?

Well, as ColtsFan76 mentioned, "But a separate board, like Mountainf of Madness, or expeditions to the Arctic or Europe or wherever would be a nice addition and probably bolster the line post-Innsmouth." Also, the Call of Cthulhu RPG has some campaign scenarios which did some globe-hopping. Likewise, the individual Outer Worlds could have their own gameboards -- the Dreamlands, for example.

Remove the gate closings, and you can have entirely different Lovecraft (and non-Lovecraft) adventures. A Lovecraftian Consulting Detective game might be amusing...

Yay another expansion to overflow my table with

:)

Bring it on...

Tibs said:

All we know about the Innsmouth expansion so far is that it will include Bokrug as the Ancient One. But rest assured, the next "big" expansion will be Innsmouth. Likely, it will be the next expansion released.

Where did you hear this? I know there's going to be a SoI expansion, but never heard when it was going to be released. I would assume that the next "big" expansion would indeed be Innsmouth, but I've never heard anything official.

From what I understand. A while ago someone said there would be 3 card and 3 board expansions. Implying that Innsmouth is the last expansion

Im just wondering what the new Ancient Ones would be for the set, Tibs mentioned Bokrug , maybe also Zhar, 'Umr at-Tawil, lloigor and Cthugha maybe. Any other ones im missing?

Definitely up for Innsmouth - perhaps with an investigator with 'the taint'?

...and membership cards for 'the esoteric order of Dagon'....

... and 'run out of town' cards...

...or a game mechanic simulating the US sub attack on Yha' Nthli (OK probably not that spelling... but you know what I mean - and if you do, lose 1 sanity!)

Too many cool ideas!

I was thinking today, that instead of an expansion to the base game, they should do a variation of the base game where you play in Victorian London. I don't know if anyone here remembers Call of Cthulhu by Gaslight , but that was a fabulous game. I would love to fight the great old ones and their minions in streets of old London as some lord, street cad or pugilist.

StarBurn said:

I just hope they add a good mechanic, preferably one related to the monster movement like kingsport, since that at least makes the board usable in contradiction to Dunwich.

Personally I hope that we won't just get one more track that has to be kept under control like the Dunwhich Horror or the Rift tracks, but something that actually has some strategy attached to it. Kinda like the Battlefield expansion for LotR.

Something like military tokens that can defend against a limited number of enemies or a limited power of enemies and that can be positioned and need help from the investigators,...

In a comment on BGG, Kevin Wilson alluded to the Innsmouth expansion and Bokrug. There was nothing specific in the comment that indicated Bokrug would be a GOO (it's possible he could function in some other manner).

I'm trying to answer a question about the sources for information on the Innsmouth expansion but I can't seem to figure out how to insert one of those nifty quotes. How do you do it?

I'm starting to think that they may be running out of material to work with for expansions. Other details aside, I think Innsmouth if it is in production/creation, really will be the last one. I can see them printing other games using the Arkham mechanics (such as the aforementioned 'by Gaslight' suggestion) much like they did with Runebound, or like they have coming with Android. (I could be wrong on Android, but I've read unconfirmed reports that it is an Arkham style game.)

kilrah said:

Personally I hope that we won't just get one more track that has to be kept under control like the Dunwhich Horror or the Rift tracks, but something that actually has some strategy attached to it. Kinda like the Battlefield expansion for LotR.

OK. That seems like an impractical demand.

kilrah said:

Something like military tokens that can defend against a limited number of enemies or a limited power of enemies and that can be positioned and need help from the investigators,...

That would just be another track that has to be kept under control. I mean, it would be a system by which there would be nominally a lot of monsters that need to be kept under control, and then there's be an attached mechanic where you could blow up a lot of monsters "with soldiers." But that's still just one more tack that has to be kept under control. That's what the game is . There are tracks, they get out of control, that's bad, investigators have to do something about that. That's how the game works. That is, by definition, what every new mechanic will be.

In Dunwich, you have to kill monsters before they jump into holes. In Kingsport you need someone plodding around Kingsport keeping dreamers in check. And in Innsmouth there will be something you need to do to keep things from getting out of hand. Now maybe it's going to be some sort of evolving system of checkpoints where you have to go have encounters to move a limited number of blockades around to keep Deep Ones from getting to the armory, but that's still by definition going to exactly what you're complaining about even it is exactly what you are asking for.

-Frank

I think an Innsmouth board expansion is a must. I'd like to see a few more smaller expansions then maybe a whole new Cthulhu type game.

Frank said:

In Dunwich, you have to kill monsters before they jump into holes. In Kingsport you need someone plodding around Kingsport keeping dreamers in check. And in Innsmouth there will be something you need to do to keep things from getting out of hand. Now maybe it's going to be some sort of evolving system of checkpoints where you have to go have encounters to move a limited number of blockades around to keep Deep Ones from getting to the armory, but that's still by definition going to exactly what you're complaining about even it is exactly what you are asking for.

The moving of blockades would be fine by me. Of couse everything is a kind of track. Its just that I'd like to see something more then a simple one dimensional thing that has no thematic tie in per se. Something that feels like being in the fight rather then seeing spots on TV about how far the enemy pushed ahead so far.

Whole bunch of things being said here.

@RudyHuxxxtable:

There are countless Cthulhu Mythos locations. However, Massachusetts locations by Lovecraft are more limited, the only ones currently missing being Innsmouth and Salem (the latter being a real city, so it is unlikely to show up as a game board).

@Dreamshadow:

Not even a 20th of all Cthulhu Mythos material has been used so far - however, as far as boards go, there aren't alot left to add which can be reached quickly by train (see above answer).

@JeanPaulValley:

I suppose 'Umr at-Tawil could make an appearance as a Herald or Guardian, but as an ancient one he is already included in the base set (Yog-Sothoth). The list of unused ancient ones is fairly large. Lovecraft's would be Bokrug, Nug, Yeb, the nameless mist, the darkness, Ghatanothoa and Rhan-Tegoth.

The authors which have been used up to now for providing ancient ones are August Derleth, Brian Lumley, Clark Ashton Smith, H. P. Lovecraft and Ramsey Campbell.

Off the top of my head that leaves (and this is an incomplete list), for ancient ones: Cthugha, Zhar, Lloigor, Ubbo-Sathla, Bokrug, Daoloth, the green man, Quachil Uttaus, Bugg-Shash, Byatis, Cxaxukluth, Ghizguth, Shathak, Hzioulquoigmnzhah, Gloon, Gnophkeh, Juk-Shabb, M'Nagalah, Mnomquah, Mordiggian, Ycnagnnisssz, Oorn, Ossadogowah, Othuum, Summanus, Tru'Nembra, Vulthoom, Yegg-Ha, Zstylzhemgni...lots anyway. If we were to add other authors (even just ones from Lovecraft's circle, or other important ones such as Lin Carter or Edward P. Berglund), the list grows exponentially.

As for the topic, yeah, Innsmouth would be nice, and is likely the next and last board expansion. It's possible that another card expansion could follow it - there are certainly enough things one could do there - as well as the occasional online content (such as the two online Heralds). But I think anything more than that just starts getting...a bit too much when adding everything together, or even just stacking it somewhere. I'd rather see them do another different cthulhoid game after Innsmouth and another card-only expansion (which would hopefully include things to fix watered down elements. Y'know, stuff like extra Dunwich gate cards).

I will be happy with just Innsmouth.

Cthugha, Lloigor, Gathanothoa and Chaugnar Faugn as Ancient Ones and all be good. Dagon as Herald and a great mechanic in town involving the attack of the goverment over the Deep Ones would be great.

I don't know if its really encesary another small card edition. After all, all of the great Ancient Ones ar represented (Nyarlathotep at DF, Shubb at Black Goat, Hastur with King in yellow). Maybe its missing Yog Sothoth, but I don't really know how to make an avatar of him (and also, Dunwich Horror kinda fill his place).

I think that more boards, or other expansions would be too much (there's no table that big). About independent expansions (Mountains of Madness, Dream-quest of Unknown Kadath) It should be an entirely differtn game, with different mechanics. After all,if it were the same, the temptation of mixing all together would be too much.

Yes that would be quite cool - I remember Cthulhu by Gaslight - that had the cover with the branches reaching through a wrought iron fence for an English gent, if I recall correctly.