2nd printing?

By Mauricio3, in Runewars

Runewars is out of stock at FFG online shop. Do you think there will be a 2nd printing anytime soon (with all the errata corrected)?

I want to buy this game, but I could wait a little bit for an errata-free version.

I really dont think that a misprint on the rulebook about the number of the cards provided with this game is a reason to wait for a reprint.

I have this game and was actually the first board game I bought .After many plays my answer to your question is FIND IT AND BUY IT .Runewars is a very well balanced game with fairly simple rules even for beginners in boardgames but also challenging gameplay for veterans

To answer the OP's other question, Runewars is not scheduled for a reprint on the Upcoming page, so it won't be getting reprinted any time soon. I don't believe the game is going OOP just yet (it's only like 2 years old after all), but it's not on the list to be reprinted right now.

Aside from the rulebook thing, the only misprint I'm aware of is the number of giants on the tiles. They all say "2 giants" when really two of them should be "1 giant." It's easy enough to remember that one without altered tiles, though - The tile that is really "2 giants" is the one on tile number 2. =P

I just got my hands on Starcraft which will be our main SciFi strategy game (might be getting TI3 aswell though) and was looking at Runewars for our main 3 or 4 player fantasy strategy game (thinking about wwar of the ring for 2 player).

Do you think they might be considering a 2nd edition with a smaller form factor, like they've done with Descent? If so, I'd better get my hands on a copy soon so I don't end up having to search the world for a copy like I did with Starcraft (only to find it next door...).
Seems kind of odd to go for a second edition only 2 years after release and 1 expansion down the road.

Youjimbo said:

Do you think they might be considering a 2nd edition with a smaller form factor, like they've done with Descent? If so, I'd better get my hands on a copy soon so I don't end up having to search the world for a copy like I did with Starcraft (only to find it next door...).

Seems kind of odd to go for a second edition only 2 years after release and 1 expansion down the road.

I seriously doubt they'd make a second edition this quickly. Especially since they just recently released an expansion set.

For the record, the OP was asking about a 2nd printing. As in, a reprint of the current edition to restock shelves, perhaps with minor errata corrected.

Hi there.

In todays people's choice top 100 (#71-80) games by Tom Vasel Rune wars was mentioned and he did mention a second edition.

So yes. Anotherone seem to coming and that's why I got here because I wanted to get the details since I suspect it will have less plastic (not 200 pieces..), maybe they will clean it up in some way but I kinda feel like maybe I should purchase it now if they will make it less epic.

I suspect TI could had needed the cleanup more if they do it? I hope they don't just drop the amount of components for profit alone but actually do make the game better to.

Don't know what to do now :)

Like for instance will it be compatible with the old one? Same expansion? New expansions later?

I know TI is the game one should get anyway but that require more players and you'll likely want the expansions to and it cost more and it plays for longer so I think that's more of a "let's buy this for our group" game than something you necessary need yourself at home.

FFG have already announced a revised edition of runewars in a smaller box.

it has 196 plastic models, same as the original.

the changes are that the large 4 hex map section are modular so they can fit in the smaller box, the 3d mountains are gone and the card stock for the faction sheets is thinner. Rules are streamlined and compatible with the 1st expansion. Probably cheaper than the 1st edition, new descent was £20 cheaper.

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp

Looks like there will be no problems. Same experience, remade production and some rule changes but new rules work with the old box.

I wonder what the price will be. It's cool with having at least one epic box and it look nice but I've always thought the mountains look bad from above in videos though I like if they tell home no flying can pass or any ground units need 2 movements to pass or whatever. Easier to miss if it's just printed.

Also if the player sheets are thinner paper that's a disadvantage.

Whatever that is worth like 200 SEK / $30 if that's the case is another story ..

mulletcheese said:

FFG have already announced a revised edition of runewars in a smaller box.

it has 196 plastic models, same as the original.

the changes are that the large 4 hex map section are modular so they can fit in the smaller box, the 3d mountains are gone and the card stock for the faction sheets is thinner. Rules are streamlined and compatible with the 1st expansion. Probably cheaper than the 1st edition, new descent was £20 cheaper.

I assume production costs have gone up and they want to raise profits so I wonder whatever one actually do get a better value or not.

For Descent the rule changes alone seem worth it from what I understand.

And I know people hate large boxes =P, but ONE big one? ;D

For sure easier to store the ones which are of similar size though. Feel kinda unnecessary to have each BSG expansion and base set use 1/3 of the box but with a plastic container for storage and sleeves I can only get the base game and one of the expansions within one box anyway :)

Same price as descent 2nd edition according to the products page.

It should be noted that this new Runewars edition is not a "2nd Edition", but a "Revised Edition". Maybe splitting hairs, but to me the term "Revised Edition" makes it sound more like it's going to be relatively minor changes to the components (which, going off the news page, wouldn't impact gameplay), and what seems to be minor tweaks to the rules.

With Descent 2nd Edition, you can't really port your 1E stuff into 2E - even the Conversion Kit only ports SOME of the stuff (specifically the heroes and monsters). They are essentially very different games with a common basis. Since the news page makes it clear that current Runewars owners would not need to buy anything, but could just print the rules and play, I don't think we'll see anything nearly as drastic; the "Revised Edition" implies to me more of a "version 1.1" than a "version 2".

sigmazero13 said:

It should be noted that this new Runewars edition is not a "2nd Edition", but a "Revised Edition". Maybe splitting hairs, but to me the term "Revised Edition" makes it sound more like it's going to be relatively minor changes to the components (which, going off the news page, wouldn't impact gameplay), and what seems to be minor tweaks to the rules.

I agree completely. It's a subtle difference, but it's definitely a difference.

FFG doesn't make new editions of things just for kicks. When they revamp a game, they put everything about that game up in the air and they make whatever ruthless changes they need to make to improve the game's play. No sentimentality or efforts to "keep things" from the old edition.

Runewars "Revised" is still first edition. It has been repackaged to save on production/shipping costs, but it's still the same game. The fact that FFG has avoided making any rules changes that would require people to buy the new version is the biggest sign of this. People who already own the game can just download the PDF, for free.

Call me frivolous, but mountains rock.

buy the previous version.