Greetings!

By Maxime Briand, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

Hello, I just thought I'd drop in and say hi! I'm a new AH player, and now the proud owner of my first expansion, Curse of the Dark Pharaoh . I guess that for a newcomer like me, these new forums are less frightening than the old ones, there were so many things to explore over there that I just didn't know where to start! I see that some members have already started transferring some stuff, I'll make it a priority to read that!

Today, I just had a few randoms thoughts I wanted to share...

• Great work on all those custom Investigators, Monster tokens, rules, etc. !!! Congrats to everyone, there are some great concepts and designs. I already have a few ideas for new ones, but that will have to wait until my winter vacations.
  • Anyone else thinks that this game has a lot of similarities with The X-Files CCG, for example the Agents/Investigators, the equipments, allies, etc? I was a huge fan of the game, and I suppose that may even be one of the reasons why I enjoy AH so much now. I also made a whole expansion of custom cards for that game, so now I'm already thinking about a few custom X-Files Investigators and other AH stuff!
  • What music do you listen to when playing AH? So far I've tried the Twin Peaks OSTs, music from Shoji Meguro (video game music) and a few tracks from World's End Girlfriend. Any suggestions? Something with an Egyptian feel to go with my new expansion maybe?
  • Any players from Montreal or somewhere else in Quebec?

As far as theme music goes, I recommend jazz, because it was the music of the roaring 20's. While playing, we've been listening to Billie Holiday, Ida Cox, and Bessie Smith. I would stay away from too much Ella Fitzgerald. A little bit of dixieland (early Louis Armstrong!) is nice, too. Gypsy jazz (Hot Club of San Fransisco, etc.) and cool jazz (Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue") would probably work, as well, but I don't think bebob or ragtime would fit at all.

I agree that the Twin Peaks' soundtrack is a good fit.

This are the soundtracks our group listens to, during play:

SILENT HILL 1, 2 and 3 OST

OKAMI OST

NIGHTMARE CREATURES OST

Any suggestions?

There is many songs about Cthulhu mythos, few by Metallica, Craddle of Filth, Morbid Angel and also there are Cthulhu mythos theme only artists and albums, like, Yrkoon and such.

last time we had the indiana jones soundtracks on which were good!

Glad to see another X-Files CCG fan here. I *loved* the X-Files "bluff" mechanic. I haven't seen it since!

Hmm... Bluff counters... Maybe this would work in a Scenario where one player plays a GM (Gate Master!) and places tokens on the board that give clues -- or not! I'm still wondering how to meld the Call of Cthulhu RPG scenarios with Arkham Horror...

My buddies and I listen to Silent Hill, although we actually found an environmental CD that worked well. "Windy Storm" or somesuch. It was in the cheapy bin at the mom-n-pop music store here in Santa Monica... www.secondspin.com

I'm also a big fan of the Battlestar Galactica soundtrack since it can get pretty intense, but not very suspenseful.

Music? What is this alien concept?

Yes, i am one of those sad people that lives without music in their lives...

Although I do like both Stargate Themes (Sg1 + Atlantis)

Ahhhhh NERDY!!!

Great to know that there are other Xfiles CCG lovers out there...

My group listens to an ecclectic, odd mix of music, but for Arkham, we have found the soundtrack to the movie "Jeepers Creepers" to be excellent mood music.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll be certain to try a few ones... Listening to some jazz music while playing sounds great, it's also not something that I'm used to listen to so that will certainly make a major change of atmosphere. Video game and nerdy music, especially Silent Hill OSTs, might also do the trick for me!

And... wow, I'm glad to find so many (i.e. 2, which is a lot for this game serio.gif ) X-Files CCG fans, I'll give some thought about possible adaptations of some of the mechanics/characters of the game. And this Strange Eons program just seems amazing, I wish we had that when we were making all those custom X-Files cards one by one on Photoshop... I know that there are custom Fox Mulder and Dana Scully Investigators, any other related stuff that I missed?

Oh, the Bioshock soundtrack, too. Can't believe I forgot the Bioshock Soundtrack.

OT: Hey, I still have my X-Files ccg stuff somewhere (actually, I have pretty much all of my ccg stuff somewhere, I don't sell or get rid of them sonrojado.gif ).

I have never played the game, but I imagine the soundtrack to Angel Heart would be ideal - mixes jazz and blues with creepy music.

The soundtrack to Bram Stokers Dracula (the Coppola one) is also great for all kinds of horror and fantasy style games.

I like using Dresden Dolls and Jill Tracy...

Those 2 seem to set a sort of 1920 ties atmosfeer at our table...though I do like rock and metal, it doesn't work to bring out the mood of the game...

Ye Ancient One said:

I have never played the game, but I imagine the soundtrack to Angel Heart would be ideal - mixes jazz and blues with creepy music.

The soundtrack to Bram Stokers Dracula (the Coppola one) is also great for all kinds of horror and fantasy style games.

The Angel Heart soundtrack is an amazing idea! I didn't even think of that one.

I just got Dunwich Horror today! I'm planning a really «geeky» evening Saturday as I'll make one or two playlists of AH music, stay home and play a Scenario solo. Can't wait!

Maxime said:

I just got Dunwich Horror today! I'm planning a really «geeky» evening Saturday as I'll make one or two playlists of AH music, stay home and play a Scenario solo. Can't wait!

If you have a spare 45 minutes, could you test my Dunwich Solo variant and add any tweaks? Thanks.

ced1106 said:

If you have a spare 45 minutes, could you test my Dunwich Solo variant and add any tweaks? Thanks.

Sure, I'll give it a try! I only have a few games of AH under my belt, so my insight may not be the most enlightened one, but it's gonna be a great way to discover and enjoy DH . I'll keep you informed!

ced1106 said:

Maxime said:

Dude, I would love to check out your scenario.

Maxime said:

• Any players from Montreal or somewhere else in Quebec?

Just before the new forum was introduced, there were a few posts from two new members. One was from Montréal and one was from either Montréal or maybe Québec City. One of them went by the name Fecktor, I forget the other. Not sure if they've made it to the new forums or not. If you pop over to the old forums before they close, you should be able to find them and send them a PM.

Cheers,
Chris

Thelric said:

If you pop over to the old forums before they close, you should be able to find them and send them a PM.

Thanks Chris!

So That's how my cover was blown! :D Yep, I've migrated here as well.

I'll be writing you a mail, Maxime :)