Dawnforge

By GeminiWeb2, in Legacy Game Discussion

Having read the earlier post about Midnight, I'd like to mention how much I liked Dawnforge. It offered a lot including a great world, in its relative infancy where:

- immortals walked the world in a time before gods;

- races had not yet 'settled down' with significant variation between individuals (which grew as levels went up);

- the ability to take levels in Legendary classes; and

- plenty of opportunities for great adventuring (tiefling invasion of the Kingsmarch, the lost Dwarven Kingdom, the yuan-ti civilisation in decline. the wild frontiers, etc.)

It was a great product and I for one was very sorry to see it have such a short life.

Yeah, it was sweet. From what I understand it was made for the contest that Eberron won, coming in second, but that could be hype. I've almost enjoyed just having a core rules with only me and the players creating new things as needed and based on play rather than trying to work in a continual set of new rules and powers each time a new book came out. I've run two 3.5 campains in that world now and enjoyed every minute of it.

Personally, I think I'm going to try to use the world and history for a 4E campaign. The world already has Tieflings, make Eladrin be Dawn elves and 4E Elves be the Night Elves, add a kingdom in the Tamerland of Dragonborn who rule over Lizardmen, and all the core races are there without much work. With a dynamic of increasing power and selectable power as you level up already in 4E, you know it was a good idea when they did it for Dawnforge and wonder if FFG should be looking into where the 4E development ideas really came from ;)

The concept of immortals vs gods and legendary monsters are all flavor a good DM can work in. Action points replace legendary points, pargon paths and such replace legedary classes, and you can work in highly magical areas for magic wells with work, like natural feywild areas etc. It's strange how many of the downforge ideas seem to be like some of the 4E play concepts.

In my honest opinion Dawnforge was much better than Eberron, and while i like EB, it just doesnt have that D&D feel. as for dawnforge I am having a hard debate as to whether I run that or Midnight for my 4ed campaign,...they are both soooo darn good.. but yeah I have been noticing how easy Dawnforge works with 4ed :D