Gaining Strongholds

By Style75, in Rune Age

My friend and I seem to be playing the game a little differently but we can't see any direct explanation from the rules as to which of us is correct. The problem surrounds gaining strongholds. Each stronghold card shows that it can be gained by either spending gold or through combat strength. Buying a stronghold using gold is pretty straightforward, but the combat option is a little confusing. We both think the combat strength in the bottom right of the card refers to capturing the stronghold through a combat action against your own barracks, but the debate is over using a battle to attack a stronghold in your opponent's barracks.

My friend thinks that because a stronghold in an opponent's barracks is not yet in control by that player, you should be able to capture that stronghold using a battle action. My opinion is that a stronghold in a barracks is still controlled by a player and therefore can't be attacked because siege actions can't target strongholds.

Which of us is correct?

Style75 said:

My friend and I seem to be playing the game a little differently but we can't see any direct explanation from the rules as to which of us is correct. The problem surrounds gaining strongholds. Each stronghold card shows that it can be gained by either spending gold or through combat strength. Buying a stronghold using gold is pretty straightforward, but the combat option is a little confusing. We both think the combat strength in the bottom right of the card refers to capturing the stronghold through a combat action against your own barracks, but the debate is over using a battle to attack a stronghold in your opponent's barracks.

My friend thinks that because a stronghold in an opponent's barracks is not yet in control by that player, you should be able to capture that stronghold using a battle action. My opinion is that a stronghold in a barracks is still controlled by a player and therefore can't be attacked because siege actions can't target strongholds.

Which of us is correct?

I'm pretty sure you can't attack your opponent's stronghold period, unless I totally missed that in the rules. You can attack their neutral captured cities though.

~telengard

According to the rules on page 12, Strongholds may not be chosen as targets for a Siege.

TK

I agree with what you are saying, but I think my friend has discovered a weak point in the rules that needs clarification. If a card is in the barracks, is it considered to be in play? If not, can cards in an opponents barracks be targeted by a battle? (instead of a siege)

Style75 said:

I agree with what you are saying, but I think my friend has discovered a weak point in the rules that needs clarification. If a card is in the barracks, is it considered to be in play? If not, can cards in an opponents barracks be targeted by a battle? (instead of a siege)

Cards in your barracks are not in play. You also can't target any card (currently) in an opponent's barracks (i.e. remove them from the game).

~telengard

So anyone can explain the Strength values on the Strongholds cards?

Nevermind. (u can "storm" ur strongholds in barracks with the battle action)