Wolf Form Question

By Tromdial, in Fury Of Dracula

Having read both the manual and faq, I have a question, and it may be that despite rereading it several times, the fact eludes me: can Dracula in Wolf Form attack a Hunter as he passes by or not?

The Wolf Form Movement diagram clearly shows and details in special note #1 that he is attacking Van Helsing, but he could also move past him without Van Helsing knowing. On the next page, it says Dracula cannot attack while passing in Wolf Form. I suppose my question more so is why does Dracula use Wolf Form to attack as he does in the diagram, because Dracula cannot do so while passing as informed on the next page... Or am I missing something?

Dracula may attack Hunters only during his Action Phase. The Wolf Form power is used in the Movement Phase. Hence, the only way Dracula has to attack a Hunter by using the Wolf Form is ending his Movement in the city where the Hunter is. In this case, the card is placed face-up on the Trial, the movement ends, and Dracula attacks the Hunter during his (Dracula) Action Phase

Hope this helps

Quote in diagram, "Dracula can use Wolf Form to attack or pass through a Hunter. Thus, he could move [from Bordeux] to Clermont-Ferrand and attack Van Helsing, or he could move through Van Helsing to Geneva or Marseilles, and Van Helsing wouldn't be the wiser."

I suppose what the diagram is showing is that Dracula can sort of waste his card use of Wolf Form, because he is spending a blood to move only one city instead of two to attack Van Helsing. His Wolf Form does not slide an extra card off the track; instead, it slides under his destination location. His destination location will be known by the Hunters because he is attacking Helsing; his Wolf Form is wasted and he must wait til he retrieves it from falling off the track, and he is short a blood (which has a 1 in 5 chance of mattering since he's going into combat and he will want as many levels as he can get to not be killed).

Really, if he wanted to attack Van Helsing that badly, my point is why doesn't he save himself the one blood and use the Clermont-Ferrand movement card? Then he will also have the Wolf Form for later, like for running away from freaking Van Helsing!

New Question: can Wolf Form be used to move two spaces away when starting in the same city as a Hunter(s), or is he prevented in some way?

What they should have typed is to have kept Van Helsing, exempting the whole attacking him bit (again, because it is a waste of Wolf Form, from my estimation). In addition, they should have had Mina (or any other Hunter figure) sitting on Geneva or Marseilles (let's say Geneva). From Bordeux, Dracula can assume Wolf Form and skip over Helsing to attack Mina in Geneva (combat-wise, someone much easier to bite in theory). Or, from Bordeux to Marseilles, Dracula can travel in Wolf Form, and neither Hunter is the wiser.

Does this make more sense, Julia? I hope the reason for my confusion is a lot more clear now (especially after getting some sleep). bostezo.gif

Also, can Wolf Form be used to cross over one sea area unnoticed, therefore also negating the need to spend a blood to cross sea?

Julia said:

Dracula may attack Hunters only during his Action Phase. The Wolf Form power is used in the Movement Phase. Hence, the only way Dracula has to attack a Hunter by using the Wolf Form is ending his Movement in the city where the Hunter is. In this case, the card is placed face-up on the Trial, the movement ends, and Dracula attacks the Hunter during his (Dracula) Action Phase

Hope this helps

Yes, this makes sense. So I did have it right, but now my question is there any tact Dracula has in the Wolf Form diagram, or is he simply wasting his Wolf Form and blood before going into battle with Van Helsing?

Tromdial said:

Yes, this makes sense. So I did have it right, but now my question is there any tact Dracula has in the Wolf Form diagram, or is he simply wasting his Wolf Form and blood before going into battle with Van Helsing?

I'm afraid the example in the rulebook isn't that brilliant (i.e., yeah, he's wasting blood and a good card), that's it. I'd be more interesting if Helsing is two spaces away from Dracula, and maybe he's wounded and weaponless. This is a good chance for Dracula to score some points, and in this case attacking is possibly worth the value.

As for your other questions: there is nothing preventing Dracula to use Wolf form to escape from a city with Hunters, so feel free to keep that card for the difficult moments :-) And no, you cannot use Wolf Form to enter any sea zone, nor to cross any of them. If you cross-check the rules, pag 22, under Wolf form, it's stated that the new Location "can be up to two cities away by Road". So, no way you can cross a sea zone.

While at sea Drac can't use any of his powers, (too busy being seasick).

also, iirc the wolfform entry in the booklet states specifically it can only be used on land AND only follow roads - though that's a given, dracula hates trains. And a wolf taking a train would just be ludicrous :P