Basic rule questions:

By bbosveld, in CoC Rules Discussion

Got the core set. Big Arkham Horror fan.

Got question about Draining a Domain...

When you Drain a Domain do you have to drain it all the way? i.e. can you take just one the amount of resources out of it that you need to cover the cost or do you take it all the way down.

I would think that it goes all the way down. But I see a picture in the rule book showing a plastic Chthulu Icon (sign of a drained domain) on a domain that has three resource cards still attached. Since you can only add one resource card per turn and the drain token should be removed at the start of the next round this confuses me.

Thanks.

BBosveld said:

Got the core set. Big Arkham Horror fan.

Got question about Draining a Domain...

When you Drain a Domain do you have to drain it all the way? i.e. can you take just one the amount of resources out of it that you need to cover the cost or do you take it all the way down.

I would think that it goes all the way down. But I see a picture in the rule book showing a plastic Chthulu Icon (sign of a drained domain) on a domain that has three resource cards still attached. Since you can only add one resource card per turn and the drain token should be removed at the start of the next round this confuses me.

Thanks.

You place you Cthulhu token on the domain to indicate that ALL resources attached to that domain are no longer available. Once the drain token is removed, all of the domain's resources are available.

There are some cards that talk about "overpaying". You overpay whenever the domain has more resources attached to it than the minimum to play that card. You automatically overpay when you drain a domain that has more resources that needed. In fact, this happens almost all of the time when you play a 1-cost card in the later portion of the game, since you've built up your domains by then.

Thanks for the clarification.

I had the impression that one would remove the attached resources when the domain was drained. That they remain in place and are available on later turns makes sense.

It also adds additional twist to being able to add another domain (hence overpay less) as well as ax an oponents domain (ouch kill it and all its attached resources built up over time).

Thanks again.