Road to Legends: XP Question Total Question and Campaign Levels

By karn456789, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

So we just began an Road to Legends campaign today and I have a few questions concerning XP totals for the purpose of leveling up to the next Campaign level (from Copper to Silver to Gold).

So the rules say that every time the party gains a Conquest Token, each Party member gains an XP. That's simple enough. So after the first dungeon, they had earned 19 Conquest Tokens (Is that high? Not sure...) and I (the Overlord) earned 23 (again, is that high? )

So if I'm reading the rules correctly... to determine when we go to the next Campaign level by totaling all the XP each party Member has and then adding in how much I have? Or is it has spent?

Either way this seems a bit off to me... because that would put their combined total at 76 and with my 23, we'd be at 109 after 1 dungeon... that doesn't seem right.

So basically... how do I determine the XP total for going to the next Level? It almost seems like it should be I take the total conquest tokens the part has earn (in this case 19 so far) and add mine (23) to get the total (42 so far). This would mean in another 3 - 4 dungeons we could get to Silver level which seems to make a lot more sense, especially since the Rules even say it should taken several (I think it say 6 - 7? ) to get to Silver.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm rather lost on how this is supposed to work and what works best.

Thank you in advanced.

You figured it out yourself: The total of Conquest Tokens (Heros+OL) is determining the Campaign Level. XPs (spent or unspent) have nothing to do with it.

42 after one dungeon is ok for a first (learning) campaign and quite common. With more experience you´ll hopefully learn that it is way too much for a first dungeon.

Parathion said:

You figured it out yourself: The total of Conquest Tokens (Heros+OL) is determining the Campaign Level. XPs (spent or unspent) have nothing to do with it.

42 after one dungeon is ok for a first (learning) campaign and quite common. With more experience you´ll hopefully learn that it is way too much for a first dungeon.

Oh good! I was really hoping it was that way, otherwise this would be over way to fast O.o

Hmmm so 42 Conquest total is way to much for a first dungeon? Who's should have been lower, me the Overlord? The players really couldn't get any fewer then 19 Conquest token. They could have lowered my total if they were a slightly more durable party (3 chars have base 8 HP). But they fought 4 Bosses in there (1 on lvl 1, 2 on lvl 2 (was the Mirrors level), and 1 on lvl 3 (who's worth more etc)) and got all the Glyphs along the way, so not sure how I could have stopped their total from creeping up.

Personally, I disagree that 42 combined CP is "way too much" for a first dungeon.. There could have been some misinterpretation or a math calculation gone bad which spurred that particular comment...I don't know, but I think that comment is off base. You are fine. Nothing is wrong there. Things are as they should be with that total.

Schmiegel said:

Personally, I disagree that 42 combined CP is "way too much" for a first dungeon.. There could have been some misinterpretation or a math calculation gone bad which spurred that particular comment...I don't know, but I think that comment is off base. You are fine. Nothing is wrong there. Things are as they should be with that total.

Ironically, Schmiegel is 1 point shy of being right. gui%C3%B1o.gif

The heroes should try to enter a 2nd or even 3rd dungeon with them having an advantage over the OL compared to the beginning of the game. Assuming the heroes finished the dungeon of Thelsvan Highway, they could have gone to Riverwatch and its 5-star market to get good gear and a Boat before re-entering a dungeon well-equipped while still fighting only copper monsters... If the OL had gotten to maximum 22 conquest.

With the OL at 23 conquest however, this plan is not possible anymore: at he beginning of the week following the first dungeon, the OL gets to 24 and the heroes enter Riverwatch. And at the beginning of the week after, the OL gets to 25 and buys his silver monster upgrade! preocupado.gif

Now the most sensible thing for the heroes to do is to re-enter a dungeon immediately, with no new items except those found in the first dungeon. Way better than buying stuff and having to fight silver monsters, in any case.

But except for this 1-point strategic detail (tough luck for the heroes!), Schmiegel is right: your campaign total is normal.