13 Wiz-War Questions

By Tromdial, in Wiz-War

Hi. Reading the cards and wondering about the rulings of some of them.

1) Wall of Earth: the card says it raises "momentarily" a wall that blocks both line-of-sight and movement, is an instantaneous spell, and collapses if hit with an attack. Let's say an opponent with a Mightstone who has not attacked yet is one movement away from walking into your square (Wall of Earth only blocks between squares, so moving into your square to then attack makes Wall of Earth inefficient). If you raise the wall, it blocks the move, so I assume the 1 movement is wasted. My real question is how long does the Wall of Earth stay if it is not attacked? Does it immediately go away because the spell is only an instant (which still leaves you open to attack), or does it stay up until the end of the turn? I assume it does not stay up forever because it is not a permanent like Create Wall.

2) Boomstone says after use, discard Boomstone. Does this mean its dropped or destroyed? The second paragraph specifically states another instance that does destroy the Boomstone, so does discard and destroy mean two different things or the same?

3) Dispel says "Immediately end 1 target non-instant spell, as well as any spells affecting that spell." What is an example of Dispel targeting a spell affected by other spells? It sounds like it neutralizes a complex non-instant spell combo of sorts, but I haven't seen anything like that yet to my memory. Is this a hint at "enchant object" and "enchant item" cards in the future and right now it has no use?

4) With Tom Jolly's BoardGameGeek comment about counter spells in the classic game, I am wondering if FFG supports its counter spell description on Page 9 of the manual and Jolly's classic use of counter spells an overlooked variant, or has FFG misspoke on how and when to use counter spells in the updated version of Wiz-War? If FFG supports its Page 9 description of counter spells, then is Anti-Anti the exclusion to the rule?

5) Globe of Pain says it ignores all objects that do not stop movement. Do other wizards or creatures obstruct Globe of Pain's path? For example, let's say Red Wizard casts Globe of Pain and follows a path of six movement. His target wizard is the Green Wizard who is within six movement, but Yellow Wizard comes between Globe of Pain's target. What happens?

6) Similar to another question asked in this forum, can Werewolf Form, Slime Form, or Golem Form allow you to equip item cards from your hand, or does that count as casting a spell? Can you continue to use items and maintained spells while using Werewolf Form, Slime Form, or Golem Form?

7) If you use Strength to attack and steal someone's carried item or treasure, are you immediately negatively effected by the normal costs as if you picked the item or treasure up or are those costs ignored?

8) Can you hold doors open only on your turn or other turns too? If you cannot hold the door open on another wizard's turn, is this rule then intended for creature expansions for Wiz-War?

9) Do spells and items like Golem Form, Bloodshard, and Shield stack in their damage reduction of a single source? What if you had both Gnome Form and Invisible? Do you roll twice for evasion checks against a single source, one for each maintained spell?

10) If you have a clear path that wraps two sectors together, can you use Windrider to move any finite number of spaces in that path, like 10,000 spaces for example? Thankfully a wizard in Slime Form cannot cast Windrider while transformed.

11) Is punch and stab (from Dagger) two different physical types of attack, or is stab just a word with more flavor than mechanic? I ask because if you stab someone, you're putting your strength behind it, so a Big Man Form who punches for 3 physical damage with a Dagger that stabs with 2 physical damage would make me think 5 physical damage total. However, Dagger's text sounds like it does not stack, so hoping for some clarification.

12) Because Mundane type is non-Magical, does it still count as a spell? If it is not a spell, does that mean a wizard using Werewolf Form, Slime Form, and Golem Form can play Mundane cards from their hand?

13) What are portals: are they objects, walls, doors? Can they be destroyed? Are they part of the map? Do the open ends on the map not represented by portal markers count as portals themselves?

Amazing game, just hoping to get some of the errata Q&A out their as fast as possible.

Tromdial said:

4) With Tom Jolly's BoardGameGeek comment about counter spells in the classic game, I am wondering if FFG supports its counter spell description on Page 9 of the manual and Jolly's classic use of counter spells an overlooked variant, or has FFG misspoke on how and when to use counter spells in the updated version of Wiz-War? If FFG supports its Page 9 description of counter spells, then is Anti-Anti the exclusion to the rule?

I reread Jolly's comment and looks like I missed the part where he mentions about the new version. So I am guessing Page 9 is incorrect.

First of all, sorry for my english (my mother language is russian) and for some rules or mechanic misunderstanding due to language barrier but I will explain how we play that situations and why we do so. When thinking about situations we use logic, MtG experience and rules together.

1. For us Wall of Earth is a thin line of earth, that emerge and then collapse. It blocks one attack (fire bolt, water bolt, boomstone) anything that flying to you to harm you, blocks line of sight (brain burn, share life) anything that is an attack, but affect you with some sort of mental force and blocks movement (windrider, globe of pain). So we play it like in MtG. Casted spell moves to stack, stone wall moves to stack. Stack resolves backwards and stone wall is appear, the effect of the spell happens, wall preventing it by stopping LOS, movement or attack and when stack completely resolved the wall collapses.

2. As we understand it discard equal to destroy, otherwise there will be something like drop, I think.

3. We hope there will be some expansions to this game and some sort of example from the past is the Create Door and Jam Door/Remove Lock combination of spells.

4. Maybe I don't know english good enough, but I think there is misunderstanding of the rules. Page 9 of the Rule book:"Counter spells are the only spells that may be played during another player's turn." not "Counter spells may only be played during another player's turn" .

5. Globe of Pain ignores all objects that do not stop movement. It ignores rosebush, thornbush, wizards, monsters, fog, dust cloud, tacks, items and treasures on the ground, maybe in future expansions it will ignore pits - everything that block line of sight, but not movement. But it is stopped by doors, walls, wall of earth, big man, stone block - by everything that blocks movement. It is not react to the other wizards on its path because "Shoot a reddish globe of energy at target wizard or creature".

6. Card names on page 9 of the Rule book are: attack spell, counter spell, energy, item, neutral spell. Energy and item cards not even named as spells in the rule book and we think that all forms may play them as well as use them to make an attack (except slime). Spells that already affecting you or altering the dungeon as we think stays in play because they are lasting effects of previous actions that made by wizard, not by wolf or slime. Example is very simple, can werewolf be under influence of adrenaline? Yes, because its your blood and mind inside that werewolf.

7. Card does not say that you have to, so you don't. Play it as the strength of golem, who does not lose turn by picking up treasure, but your cost is an attack you made with a 75% chance of success.

8. We play it this way. If you leave adjacent square door re-locks, if you enter adjacent square or in it and the door is in your home sector or was casted by you, you can open it and hold for as long as you want (and say that to others), if you open door with Pick Lock and pass through it or not you can hold it open by saying that to others, if you holding door open you can close it any time during your turn and when it is no spells being cast and resolving at that moment (in case of full reflection if it will be). We had situation when wizard was standing adjacent to door used pick lock and was holding it open for 3 turns.

9. Protection stack. We think of it as of the Powerthrust + Energy 5 + Add + Energy 6 creates a ball of 13 energy. As it travels to the victim, part of its energy absorbed by shield (let's say shield + energy 5), the remaining 6 energy reach wizards body and 1 absorbed by trinket right before impact and 2 energy is needed to get through stoneskin of golem to harm him, so the remaining 3 energy is all that comes through that powerful defense.

10. Yes, you can, at least we play it as this. Even if portals is objects, they do not block line of sight or movement, squares on both sides of the portal is adjacent, you move in straight line, so, why not?

11. Card itself describing what stab is. "If stabbing, you may attack 1 adjacent target object, wizard, or creature for 2 physical damage ." Fire cloak, for example, say that you "punch for an additional 2 magical fire damage ". So if your Big Man wearing Fire Cloak he punches for 5 damage (3 physical and 2 magical fire), but Dagger just overrides damage of the punch.

12. Rulebook page 11:"Mundane:A non-magical action ." It's not a spell, you don't cast it. Can a werewolf or golem throw treasure in someone, we play it as yes, they can pick lock and throw treasures. But for slime, he cannot attack, so you can't play Heave-Ho and he ignores doors, you don't need to play Pick Lock.

13. We think of the board as of the war field of the wizards created in the another dimension with non-euclidian geometry and space bends and twists in that dimension making to sectors connect to each other in some points just like other squares. But our dimension is not capable of showing this with board sectors and portals is just reminders which squares are connected to each other.

Will glad to see other answers to that questions.

9. As for Gnome Form and Invisible we roll two times. You invisible and first roll is for accuracy of the attack and second roll is for your ability to dodge the attack. That's how we explain that.

13) What are portals: are they objects, walls, doors? Can they be destroyed? Are they part of the map? Do the open ends on the map not represented by portal markers count as portals themselves?

In the rules, portals are a specific type of indicator marker used to indicate adjacent squares. These markers are placed off the game board. As you cannot target anything off the game board, you cannot target a portal. They are not doors, or walls, and as per the rules they are not objects - because objects are all inanimate things (other than treasures) INSIDE the labyrinth. Portals are not inside the labyrinth... nor are things like stun tokens, hat tokens, magic cards for that matter.

The open ends on maps not represented by portal markers aren't portals, they are Wrap Arounds. Wrap Arounds take you from one sector to the other sector exactly opposite. Portals take you from one sector to an diagonal sector. Portals criss cross the map. Wrap arounds do not criss cross.

---

2) Boomstone says after use, discard Boomstone. Does this mean its dropped or destroyed? The second paragraph specifically states another instance that does destroy the Boomstone, so does discard and destroy mean two different things or the same?

I do not think discarded and destroyed are the same thing. There is a discard pile not a destroyed pile. So if you are to discard something it goes into the discard pile and it's corresponding object token gets taken off the game board and placed back in it's token pile. That means no one can pick it up at and use it till it comes out again. When there are no facedown magic cards to draw, the discard pile gets shuffled, which means there is a chance for the Boomstone to be used again.

I believe when something is destroyed, you must set it aside, out of the game altogether as it can no longer be a part of the game. The card cannot be reshuffled back in, the token cannot be used.

A few more questions:

14) When casting Mental Force, can you attack and target yourself?

15) When casting spells like Powerthrust, Mental Force, Shield, etc., each of these cards state that it has power equal to this spell's energy, plus #. Does that mean when not given a boost, the spell will be 1, plus #? (i.e. Powerthrust and Shield are 1+2=3, respectively; Mental Force is 1+3=4)

16) With a Wall of Fire within movement, can a wizard cast Mental Force on another wizard or creature, moving them back and forth through the Wall of Fire? I did 28 total damage to my opponent when I boosted Mental Force for 4 when my target wizard was adjacent to the wall, way beyond the max health this game even caps at!

17) If a wizard casts Fireball to end up being countered and affected by Pain Link, does the wizard who casted Fireball take 5 fire damage or just 5 regular damage?

Tromdial said:

A few more questions:

14) When casting Mental Force, can you attack and target yourself?

15) When casting spells like Powerthrust, Mental Force, Shield, etc., each of these cards state that it has power equal to this spell's energy, plus #. Does that mean when not given a boost, the spell will be 1, plus #? (i.e. Powerthrust and Shield are 1+2=3, respectively; Mental Force is 1+3=4)

16) With a Wall of Fire within movement, can a wizard cast Mental Force on another wizard or creature, moving them back and forth through the Wall of Fire? I did 28 total damage to my opponent when I boosted Mental Force for 4 when my target wizard was adjacent to the wall, way beyond the max health this game even caps at!

17) If a wizard casts Fireball to end up being countered and affected by Pain Link, does the wizard who casted Fireball take 5 fire damage or just 5 regular damage?

14. No. There is a note in the rules that wizards are not allowed to attack self.

15. Yes.

16. As Tom Jolly wrote on BGG forum, yes, you can. There also a post, where is combos with total damage from 100 to 250 in one turn.

17. Pain Link inflict regular damage.

17b. Could you please clarify why Pain Link is normal damage? The card seems very ambiguous in its text, specifically with "all damage dealt to you... is also inflicted..." For example, one player could debate it says all damage dealt to you is inclusive of its type, and therefore is equally inflicted, while the other could argue its type is not inclusive of "all damage dealt to you... is also inflicted" because type is separate from damage.

18. Why does Lightning Bolt have an Anywhere symbol in its top-right corner? Shouldn't it be a Line-of-Sight instead because you must cast from your square as caster?

19. When I use Waterbolt as a personal spell, is it still an attack? If it is an attack, doesn't that conflict with question 14's answer in this post, "No. There is a note in the rules that wizards are not allowed to target themselves"?

Tromdial said:

17b. Could you please clarify why Pain Link is normal damage? The card seems very ambiguous in its text, specifically with "all damage dealt to you... is also inflicted..." For example, one player could debate it says all damage dealt to you is inclusive of its type, and therefore is equally inflicted, while the other could argue its type is not inclusive of "all damage dealt to you... is also inflicted" because type is separate from damage.

18. Why does Lightning Bolt have an Anywhere symbol in its top-right corner? Shouldn't it be a Line-of-Sight instead because you must cast from your square as caster?

19. When I use Waterbolt as a personal spell, is it still an attack? If it is an attack, doesn't that conflict with question 14's answer in this post, "No. There is a note in the rules that wizards are not allowed to target themselves"?

Awaiting above, and...

20. What happens when you Mental Force another wizard into a Thornbush? Because you cast Mental Force on your turn, does any wizard's turn ends? Can you treat this like Wall of Fire and keep stacking the 1 damage Thornbush deals? How many stun tokens does the wizard gain, 1 or as many times as he enters the Thornbush due to Mental Force?

In hindsight after that post, FFG may want to begin considering giving Mental Force an errata that says,

"Mental Force may force wizards to cross obstacles, but only once per obstacle, respectively."

21. If I conjure a Wall of Fire/Create Wall/etc. on the borderline of an otherwise empty square, is it still empty for spells that require the square to be vacant?

17b. We play it as if the one person get struck with fireball and pain link returned not the fire ball but pain, inflicted with it. Pain, similar to fireball but that does not burn you so not destroying magic stones.

18. I found it impossible to cast Lightning with Astral Projection, since AP allow you to cast you LOS spell. Maybe Lightning is not LOS is for that situations?

19. You cannot attack yourself. That's a rule. If a card text says that you can break the rule with that card, then you can. There is also a note in the rules, that if cards text is against the rules, use card text.

20. With Mental Force you can move wizard as normal as it said on card. I believe and we play it that way, that normally wizard will get in thornbush only once and then his turn ends, as well as under Metal Force control. I can normally walk through Wall of Fire multiple times, it's silly but normal. I can't normally walk through thornbush multiple times on my turn even if it's silly, so can't under Mental Force. We always use it with MF. Is it possible and normal on my own turn or it is impossible.

21. Squares and lines between them is separate places (there was a note in the rules) and square, completely surrounded by walls is still empty and square on any intersection with rosebush is not empty, but have all four lines around it empty for casting walls and doors.

Thanks ZXTR. You are my go-to guy on these Wiz-War questions. I'll ask some more as they come along while I play.

Always glad to help if I can. But on the few questions I would be glad to see the FAQ from GFF or Tom Jolly to be sure.

By the way, sorry for my English, it's not my native language.

ZXTR said:

Always glad to help if I can. But on the few questions I would be glad to see the FAQ from GFF or Tom Jolly to be sure.

By the way, sorry for my English, it's not my native language.

That was my hopes in making this thread so FFG could have an easier time organizing their upcoming errata. Your English by the way is excellent. A few grammatical problems here and there but otherwise you are well acquainted with the vocabulary and have very good structure. One day I'd like to think I will take time to learn German, Japanese, or Russian.

ZXTR said:

GFF

Ouch, I meant FFG, of course

22. Fire Darts is a line-of-sight, instantaneous, fire attack spell that reads: "Shoot a number of fiery darts equal to this spell's energy at target object, wizard, or creature. Each dart may have a different target, and/or multiple darts may strike the same target. Each dart deals 1 magical fire damage to its target. Each dart is a separate damage source and must be countered separately."

Now, my board game group had much debate over this card. I charged it up for 5 magical energy, making Fire Darts five deadly little 1 magical damage dealing bolts. My opponent discarded his Null Powder to cancel my Fire Darts. I said Null Powder cancels only one dart. He and my other opponent disagreed and said the Null Powder specifically says it is cancelling the line-of-sight spell itself, Fire Darts. Who is correct? Should the spell be cancelled completely or does Fire Darts still have 4 oncoming damage while Null Powder fizzles the first dart?

23. Can I cast Fire Darts at a wizard with a Rosebush or a Thornbush in front of him? In other words, can I boost Fire Darts for two or more, making the first dart burn up the bush that was blocking line-of-sight and then the remaining darts become oncoming against my opponent?

22. In case of canceling spell, like Null Powder it cancels all darts, in case of canceling damage, like Shield, each dart need to be canceled separately.

23. In my opinion you must have line of sight to all targets before casting Fire Darts, otherwise all darts will damage thornbush. Answer based on logic and MtG experience, but as for rules it is still interesting question.

ZXTR said:

22. In case of canceling spell, like Null Powder it cancels all darts, in case of canceling damage, like Shield, each dart need to be canceled separately.

22b. What other spells counter spell Fire Darts fully?

Okay, so I have read, reread, and reread the Fire Darts card, and understand now how it is cancelled. Basically the spell is cast as one whole spell, and then it divides itself when all wizards have declared they cannot cancel the spell.

To be certain, I have made a list of what counter-spells cancel Fire Darts, what have the potential to evade the full damage, and what will take some or all (don't work) Fire Dart damage when boosted. Please correct me if these lists are inadequate:

Fire Darts are cancelled by: Absorb Spell, Backlash, Flood, Full Shield, and Null Powder.

Fire Darts can be fully evaded by: Gnome Form (if rolled well), Featherweight (if spacing allots), Invisible (if rolled well), and Teleport (if line-of-sight is broken).

Fire Darts are not cancelled by: Anti-Anti, Fool's Gold, Negate Neutral, Pain Link (will just lash the damage back), Shield, Wall of Earth, Wall of Fire, and Ward.

22c. Gnome Form and Invisible both say "...roll each time you are attacked." Does this mean because Fire Darts is an attack as a whole that one successful roll to evade will completely dodge the attack, or does each dart have to be rolled against?

24. Does Pain Link soak total damage until attack is over, or deals damage as it happens? For example, if Lightning is boosted by a wizard who also possesses Bloodshard, enemy wizard is hit twice (total damage 6), does that mean Pain Link causes the wizard who casts Lightning 4 damage because Bloodshard would stop it twice, or only once for 5 damage because either Bloodshard only reduces damage by 1 each time you suffer damage from a source (Pain Link, not Lightning) and/or because Pain Link damages opposing wizard when spell is completely resolved?

25. If one wizard possesses Bloodshard, and the attacking wizard possesses Golem Form, Mightstone, and Fire Cloak, is Bloodshard preventing 3 total damage because each is a separate source of damage (wizard's punch/Transformation, Mightstone, and Fire Cloak), or 2 damage is prevented because of type (wizard's punch and fire), or just 1 damage because each damage from Mightstone and Fire Cloak are "additional" damage, therefore making the punch one whole source of damage?

22b. I think Featherweight will transform only one dart damage to movement... but if you will move with that around the corner, will second dart hit you... Still more questions than answers. Also I think Wall of Earth will stop Fire Darts... or maybe only one dart due to WoE text (any damage will destroy it).

22c. I think you need to roll for each dart because you trying to cancel darts and it ruled that you have to cancel them separately.

24. I believe that you will get any lightning strike reduced (or any returned damage from that situation) and Pain Link will return 3 and 3 damage which will be reduced to 2 and 2.

25. In that combination you just got your punch damage improved, but the source is still the same. So, I believe, bloodshard will reduce it by 1 point only.

OK just wanted to share some thoughts on these...

1) Wall of earth is a counter so can only be used against spells as they are cast; a punch is (i believe?) a mundane action so cannot be countered with wall of earth, neither can a move.

2) I don't think discard and destroy here mean separate things mechanically. I think the distinction is to clarify that you don't take damage from boomstone after using it, or could simply be a result of the copy-paste line in the second paragraph that is on all the magic stones. I can't see a reason for removing the stones from play, and if there was an intentional "destroyed" mechanic, then there would be a destroyed pile in the rulebook or more specific text on the card.

13) Portals can be "destroyed" in a sense by summoning a wall over it.

18) Perhaps also this is for LoS blocking effects (eg dust cloud) so you can fire into or through them?

This is why I love this game, the crazy combinations that come up :D

26. If you throw a treasure chest with Heave Ho does the square in which you are standing count towards the amount of squares you throw the object and thus towards the damage you inflict?

26. I think no. The same question was about Lightning Bolt, but in FAQ there is an answer that first square is not a square where wizard (that casted it) is. I believe that the same rule apply to Heave-Ho.

27. If playing a game with more than two-players, in which one player lays down a Wall of Fire and the second player uses a Mental Force to push the third player into the Wall of Fire, killing him, does either the first or second player receive the third's cards? Did either wizard gain a Victory Point for killing the third, as the first player is the caster (owner? been so long since I read rules) of the Wall of Fire and the second player is moving only the third player with his attack spell, Mental Force, which happens to trip the Wall of Fire damage?