Crafting

By theshadowduke, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

So in our last session our heretek was doing some crafting when we ran across an issue. The extended tests section in one paragraph and so we have no idea how crafting is supposed to work. On the crafting sidebar it gives you successes needed and time taken, but it is fairly vague.

I think it is supposed to be degrees of success needed and the time each roll of your crafting skill takes. So armor would require 12 total degrees of success, but each roll would count for 1d10 days. Someone else in the group thinks its you need 12 successful rolls and each one is 1d10 days. Any suggestion guys?

My reading is definitely the first one, as in it requires a total of 12 degrees of success and each roll takes 1d10 days. However, my support for that is almost entirely based on personal preference and logic. The second solution does not count DoS in any way, shape or form, which is somewhat unusual and not really sensible.

My reading is actually the opposite of Mort's, but after looking at it again I like his interpretation better.

Mostly because it means it wouldn't take my tech priest 4 months to build himself a suit of dodgy armor...

FWIW the Extended test definition doesn't say anything about taking DoS into account, but it probably should. The only reason I can see it not working that way is that the crafting in RT used DoS to determine the quality of the finished item, maybe that's still the intent? If so it doesn't say so anywhere.

I do it similar to mort, I roll 1d10 and tell them that every attempt will take X amount of days, for example 3 days every attempt. I also include their failure because when your trying to prepare yourself for an attack coming in 60 days it really adds the pressure on them.

I've got a question to add
Is it possible to fail at crafting?
one of my players was creating a chainsword and got the materials for it
but rolled 8 fails before he rolled 8 successes, seeing as it didn't mention about failing I allowed it,

just wanting your ideas on it.

I believe it is possible to fail in crafting, beacuse you could normally make your crafting coponents useless (destroy them) by chance or by beeig reckless. And another question, If you count DoS and DoF (degrees of failure), do you need 8 DoS at all or 8 DoS more than DoF (does 1 DoS + 1 DoF = 0 DoS)?

I think it would take a very long time if your doing it by DOF cancelling out DOS. I tried doing it and it takes forever unless your rather lucky or unlucky

I think the best way to do it, is you have 8 attempts to do it and you need more DOS then failures. so 5 DOS and 3 DOF means they succeed.

not sure what you would do if it was a 4 DOS & 4 DOF, I guess it's up to GM.

Thefool8p said:

I think it would take a very long time if your doing it by DOF cancelling out DOS. I tried doing it and it takes forever unless your rather lucky or unlucky

I think the best way to do it, is you have 8 attempts to do it and you need more DOS then failures. so 5 DOS and 3 DOF means they succeed.

not sure what you would do if it was a 4 DOS & 4 DOF, I guess it's up to GM.

That's an odd interpretation, but definitely viable. The way I would interpret it is this. Roll until you get the DoS you need to succeed, but if hit the success limit with DoF rather successes, you fail the crafting. There can also be a time limit involved.