New to this Game.

By Berdfre, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game

Was looking a getting a copy of this game for me and my son to play. Do ya'll think it would be hard for a 14yr old to understand?

And what are ya'lls view on the game positive and negative?

Coming from an experienced gamer of many years:

This game appeals to someone who generally:

Likes the lore. (reads the books or watches the HBO show)

Likes social wargames. ( games where you build up forces and manage your armies like a general and wages war against foes on many fronts, discuss alliances and bargain or barter with the other players.Other FFG examples are Twilight Imperium and Civilization of wargames)

An example of a pure wargame is War of the Ring or Tide Of Iron. (if you were wondering what the difference was)

I was 14 when i was first exposed to wargames, and I enjoed them fully.

I would add that another important factor to consider is the number of other available players you and your son have access to, as it seems the more participants, the merrier the gaming.

The consensus on this forum appears to be that with less than four players, some of the interactive elements in the game are somewhat diminished (bidding, alliances, etc).

I have only played once (four-players), but found it very fun, indeed, and wouldn't hesitate to reccommend it to a teenaged crowd.

Thanks for the feed back. Really have up to about 5 people we can get to play.

I guess I will have to give it a shot.

I just bought the game, and my brother (13) understood it perfectly. While we are still figuring out some of the rules and strategies, It seems that it is fine for anybody above 10 or so.

I just bought the game and tried with my gfriend (34) and her daughter (9), and we played 3-4 times so far.

Its a great strategy wargame (I tried other, smaller wargames in nature and complexity)..

The next challenge now is to try to plan 2-3 moves ahead.. much like a chess game, everyone can always improve from game to game.

The random effects of the 3 piles of cards (sorry I forgot how its called, the ones marked with I, II and III) are great to completly ruin what you are doing now and what you had planned.. LOL. but its a lot of fun.

This week-end we're planning to do a 6 player game for the first time.. I think it will take a good 5-6 hours to complete. I dont want to call it a long session, because its plain fun really.

The closest comparison would be with RuneWars.. (another great game, which I also own)..

its early for me to decide which one I think is best between these two.