tides of battle situation/question

By camryn.holmes.7, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game

so we were playing this game

i attacked a territory with one unit and my opponent had one unit

we used the tides of battle option and i won and killed the unit with a sword icon

my opponents tides of battle card had a skull icon so my unit was destroyed as well

so what happens to the contested land?

can i establish control or does it become neutral again?

You can never establish control unless you are marching your armies from a territory. If your opponent had established control of the embattled area his power token would be removed and the arera become neutral.

i disagree,

if you have and only if you have a power token in the region. you would still retain control as no other army is around to establish it for themselves.

if no units remained in the region it would revert to neutral.

i have a similar post regarding order tokens. feel free to check that out

I based my answer on a question that was sent to FFG sounding like this :

Skull Icons on Tide of Battle Cards
If the final (victorious) attacking unit was removed by a skull icon on a tide of battle card, would it be treated the same way as the Arianne card (in that the attacker would have no units to occupy the area, but would still count as the winner, and would remove any order tokens or power icons from the embattled area)?

"This is correct. Even though the area is now completely empty, the winner still resolves all his effects as normal."

This question among many others were sent to FFG and can be found on this site : http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/752416/official-responses-from-ffg

This question is answered before the FAQ was published but having read the FAQ now it doesn't seem to me that anything there refutes this answer (although it is not directly answered there). I can only understand this in a way that the power token is removed.

i dont use boradgamegeek forums for AGoT. that is what these forums were designed for.

Page 21 of the rulebook:

"4. Combat Clean Up
After combat is completed, remove the attacking player’s March
Order token from the game board.
If the combat was won by the attacker , remove any Order token the
defender had assigned to the embattled area (if one remains) as well
as any Power token in the area (which would exist if the defending
player had previously established control there, see page 24).
If the combat was won by the defender, the defending player’s
Power and Order tokens (if any) in the area are unaffected.
Both played House cards are discarded to their respective player’s
discard piles, and the “Resolve March Orders” step of the Action Phase
now continues."

IF the attacker didn't win, then no power token is removed. the defended retains control
The description of the OP is if the defender wins the combat.

The question was what happenes to the embattled area if the attacker wins but loses all his units. The answer to that is that the attacker resolves battle as normal, for example removing an enemy order token if it existed on the land. Therefore the land would revert to neutral.

lol my mistake. i obviously didnt read properly. your resolution is correct.

I agree: The attacker wins in this scenario, but is unable to control the embattled territory and cannot establish control using a power token (those can only be placed when leaving an already controlled territory).