New Player to Tannhauser, advice please.

By Atraangelis, in Tannhauser

I recently picked up a copy of Tannhauser, and look forward to playing it.

I need some advice on all of the additional material out there for Tannhauser,

What expansions should i purchase and in what order should i do it that make the most sense rules wise.

Any help is appreciated!

First the revised rules in case you bought an old version (a must have). Then I would go for the equipment cards. These are very useful, specially for new players as you have almost all the rules you need placed on top of the character sheets and avoid looking at the booklets.

I would advice to play some games without adding anyhthing extra, until you get the hang of it.

There are two types of expansions, single figures and maps, and one expansion that has a bit of both called Novgorod. That one is a must as well in the long run, it adds an entire new faction which is really cool, the matriarchy. And a cool extra map.

On the only map expansion side I prefer the las release Hinansho over the older one Daedalus.

On single figures you have some figures for each faction, an additional entire faction only available as single figures (shogunate) and some mercenaries that you can use with any faction you want. On these I have a ranking based on game impact (aka how good they are). You can play an optional rule that lets you combine matriarchy and union on a single team or reich and shogunate. I consider 1 must buy, 2 maybe buy and 3 not need buy.

1- Hoss (reich), Hoax (union), Oksana (Matriarchy)

2- Ramirez (union), wolf (mercenary), matriarchy troop pack (matriarchy, not released yet)

3- Yula (reich), Gorgei (matriarchy and mercenary), Natalya (matriarchy) and Asteros (mercenary) this last one is too good and tends to unbalance the game so least priority of all IMHO.

Out of this ranking you have the shogunate figures as you need to buy them all plus the hinansho map expansion if you want to play them as a single faction.

Again this is just my oppinion and Im sure others would differ. Having the equipment cards expansion allowed me to play "simulation games" using their rules before making my decissions to purchase the expansions in each case. Priority 1 ARE game changers.

Enjoy the game, and do try non deathmatch modes as they make a completely different (and better) game experience.

Awesome information Thank you.

This is exactly what i was looking for.

You need to check out Miah's Tannhauser blog. He's got very good reviews on expansion figures and map backs.

A personal ranking quite relates to ones personal opinion what he or she thinks to be best, which will differ who you ask. It will be true for one gamer (so Moebius is not wrong, no offense intended, sorry if I did), but untrue to another (so the information provided could prove not to be to useful for yourself). My ranking for a buy would like quite different from the one noted above. But that is another subject and does not belong here. So, I would strongly recommend to play some games without expansions, and then focus on your favourite faction, reinforcing it with new chars. Miah´s blog will also tell you a lot of details for every character, so I would read it carefully and the decide, depending on your own experience, for yourself what you want to buy and what not. You could also ask here, like "I want to buy XXX. Would you recommend him/her/it ?" One week later the post will be full of answers, stating players experiences with and reasons for and against the character.

Katsuyori is right. just ask the forums. Though I would say that you should probably buy characters for all the factions you have, since if you only concentrate on one specific faction it might become overpowered or the other faction/factions might feel stale if they only have their starting characters. But of cours it is just an oppinion of mine.

Katsuyori said:

A personal ranking quite relates to ones personal opinion what he or she thinks to be best, which will differ who you ask. It will be true for one gamer (so Moebius is not wrong, no offense intended, sorry if I did), but untrue to another (so the information provided could prove not to be to useful for yourself). My ranking for a buy would like quite different from the one noted above. But that is another subject and does not belong here. So, I would strongly recommend to play some games without expansions, and then focus on your favourite faction, reinforcing it with new chars. Miah´s blog will also tell you a lot of details for every character, so I would read it carefully and the decide, depending on your own experience, for yourself what you want to buy and what not. You could also ask here, like "I want to buy XXX. Would you recommend him/her/it ?" One week later the post will be full of answers, stating players experiences with and reasons for and against the character.

I fully Agree, this is jut my view and may also be affected by the game modes I play (mostly domination, CTF and sometimes objective).

Miahs videos fully explain the capabilities of the characters, his blog is our "go to" place for this info in this community. :-)

I appreciate the feedback and information.

As it turns out , I am the game guy in our group so ill most likely build up evenly accross factions at first so whomever comes over can play what they want. but the main thing I think i can take away form this is the functional utility packs such as card and maps.

Indeed i will be doing many runs with the vanilla game but was lost on how to move from there when the time comes. No i have an avenue to look down when i feel the time to expand occurs.

wops forgot, What is the link to the Blog???

Link in signature...