Notion about mustering in turn order

By Lilliendahl, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game

Hi all,

My friends and I were thinking about the rule which states that you must muster all your units at once in turn order. It seemed strange to most of us because we would have thought that being the latest to muster was a clear advantage (and the iron throne should enjoy the advantage, right?)

We didn't want to defy the rules completely so we decided to muster in one castle at a time, in turn order.

Like I said before i would have thought that the iron throne should enjoy the advantage and be the last to muster ---

--- any thoughts?

The main advantage of mustering first is the potential to muster in empty sea areas, before the others can take those seas.

Sometimes you want to be first on the iron throne track, and sometimes you want to be last. I really like this element of the game.

To justify it in story terms: Controlling the Iron Throne is both an advantage, in that it's the seat of ultimate power in Westeros; and a disadvantage, in that there are others who would claim the throne for themselves, and choosing to sit the Iron Throne without first overpowering the opposition simply makes your House the biggest target.