Comprehensive FAQ project

By Roxas_Lawliet, in Red November

Hello Gaming Community,

I am the new marketing intern here at Fantasy Flight Games and I am working on a Comprehensive FAQ project and I need help from you, the fans. If you have any questions about the game that you feel were not addressed in the most current of the FAQ for Red November, please post them here.

Thank you,

Fantasy Flight Games

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't know of the link to the FAQ.

Recently, I contacted the support team for Red November to get clarification on a whole list of rules, since there is--as of yet--no Red November FAQ posted on the FFG website. Some of the answers are able to determined by "reading between the lines", but it's still good to get official clarification on these questions. I have included the initial questions as well as the corresponding responses from the FFG support team.

Red November Rules Questions
(With Official FFG Responses)

1. Can a gnome pass through a room on fire by using Grog? If so, can a gnome pass through multiple rooms on fire? If so, how many rooms on fire can the gnome move through: any along his route or one per tile played? Using one Grog tile allows the gnome to enter multiple rooms (as many as he wants, limited only by the time he is spending to do so) on fire that turn.

2. Does a gnome’s intoxication level increase multiple times if more than one Grog tile was used in a given action or movement? Yes.

3. Can a gnome continue to consume Grog after a level-4 intoxication has been reached? If so, are there any adverse effects other than just risking another Faint Check like normal (i.e., does the gnome faint by default, even if an Event Card with no number would have been drawn)? A gnome can continue consuming Grog. The only adverse effect is he has to make a faint check as usual. He does not pass out automatically.

4. Since there is only one Coffee item tile, does a gnome remain intoxicated at the beginning of his next turn or does he remain intoxicated for the remainder of the game unless the Coffee tile is used (which seems a little unbalanced in my opinion)? He remains intoxicated for the rest of the game.

5. When the captain’s private stash of grog runs out, do players then draw item tiles or is the captain’s cabin just empty and almost pointless to enter? Once the stash is gone, there is no more benefit to going there.

6. Do all players who played a Grog tile when the Overheated card is drawn then perform a Faint Check? According to the rules, only the player whose turn it is will have to perform the Faint Check.

7. Is an Asphyxiation or Pressure Timed Event valid if the corresponding system on the sub is already fully functional? Yes.

8. If a duplicate Timed Event occurs and the events expire at different times, does performing a Fix-It Action fix both Timed Events or just one? If the latter, which one? Also if the latter, then if a duplicate Timed Event occurs and the events happen to expire at the same time, how many corresponding Fix-It Actions must be attempted? One fix-it action must be performed for each timed event. The person fixing gets to decide which one he is working on and must indicate that before the attempt to fix it (the die roll) is made.

9. What happens if a duplicate Timed Event occurs shortly after reshuffling the Event Cards and there are no corresponding Timed Event Markers available for placement? (The same question would apply if both Missile Countdown cards and the Oxygen Pumps Down card were drawn within a short timeframe.) Use some other token or indicator as a substitute for the timed event marker.

10. If a gnome does not have a Diving Gun tile to help with his Kill Kraken action, can a player choose to use ten minutes to ensure success, or is he limited to 9 minutes—or perhaps just 8 minutes—to give himself time to make it back into the sub on his next turn before his air runs out? (i.e., Does the minute spent exiting or entering the sub count toward the ten minutes of air available in the Aqualung?) The rules do not say that the aqualung only provides 10 minutes of air. The rules say that the aqualung only provides enough air for one action outside the sub.

11. Does escaping from a room filled with High Water take two minutes or is the gnome flushed out by the water when it equalizes, thus taking only one minute for opening the hatch? Reflowing water does not decrease the time it takes to move. It still costs 1m to open the hatch and 1m to move into a low-water flooded room.

12. Can a hatch leading to a room filled with High Water be opened before pumping out existing Low Water? If so, what happens to the water tokens? Yes. The high water becomes low water and the room already at low water stays at low water.

13. Can a fire start in a room that is only half-flooded and they cancel each other out? The low water room stops the fire from starting. The room remains at low water.

...More rules that have been clarified...

14. If a gnome finds himself in a room with a fire at the beginning of his turn, can he perform an Extinguish Fire action without a fire extinguisher or grog tile? Yes.

15. When playing the optional Crazed Gnome rules, can a gnome use a Diving Gun tile for an Attack Gnome action? Under the rules, no.

16. Does a gnome keep his Aqualung tile if he is only using it to perform a movement from one room in the sub to another and he does not perform an "action" outside the sub? No, it is discarded immediately. He may use the effect for the rest of the turn, however.

17. When a gnome is moving through water outside the sub, does each movement take longer than when inside the sub? No.

18. Can a gnome use the Aqualung to enter a room with High Water that has an exterior hatch and then perform a Reflow Water event by moving to an adjacent room? No, as high water rooms cannot be entered.

19. Once the Kill Kraken action has been attempted, does a gnome make a supplemental movement to reenter the ship (likened to exiting a room on fire if the extinguish action was unsuccessful) or does he reenter the ship at the beginning of his next turn? He may reenter at the beginning of his next turn.

20. Can gnomes trade tiles outside the sub? Yes.

21. Does it take one extra minute to move out of a room filled with Low Water into a room with no water? No.

22. Does a player discard the Aqualung tile immediately upon exiting the sub or when he reenters the ship? Under the rules, it is discarded immediately when played. Its effects, however, last the rest of the turn plus enough time on the turn after to return to the sub (and no more than one action outside the sub can be performed while using that aqualung).

Question 20 confuses me...

How can gnomes trade tiles outside the sub? There is only one aqualung. If another gnomes attempts to swim out, isn't it suicide for him?

Is there some situation/strategy that involves exiting the sub without the aqualung?

yojimbo said:

How can gnomes trade tiles outside the sub? There is only one aqualung. If another gnomes attempts to swim out, isn't it suicide for him?

Is there some situation/strategy that involves exiting the sub without the aqualung?

It would be a very very rare case. As soon as a Gnome leaves the sub, he uses the Aqualung by discarding it. If another player went later and somehow drew the Aqualung again (say all the tiles were discarded and they had to be reshuffled), then this second Gnome could also go outside the sub before the other one headed back. If they had any items on them, they could be traded.

So it is possible, but highly improbable.

yojimbo said:

There are two Aqualung tiles.

Agent Kennedy said:

There are two Aqualung tiles.

Well I'll be... I thought there was only one as well!

myrm said:

The answer to Number 12 directly contradicts statements in other sources...lincluding Bruno Faidutti's own website and his replies to threads in this forum.

http://www.faidutti.com/index.php?Module=mesjeux&id=566&fichier=540

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=56&efcid=26&efidt=12481

Bruno and FFG do not see eye to eye on some of the issues. I know of at elast 2 instances where they have opposite answers.

But #12 does seem to be a contradiction of the rules so I am not sure where that answer came from.

Agent Kennedy said:

1. Can a gnome pass through a room on fire by using Grog? If so, can a gnome pass through multiple rooms on fire? If so, how many rooms on fire can the gnome move through: any along his route or one per tile played? Using one Grog tile allows the gnome to enter multiple rooms (as many as he wants, limited only by the time he is spending to do so) on fire that turn.

but rules say if the room is in fire extinguish fire is the only option. and if you fail extinguishing they you must make supplemental move. (page 12)

and each turn player's gnome can take one action (page 11)

so, could you please explain that run-through-multiple-fires-as-many-as-you-want mechanics?

poohui said:

Agent Kennedy said:

but rules say if the room is in fire extinguish fire is the only option. and if you fail extinguishing they you must make supplemental move. (page 12)

and each turn player's gnome can take one action (page 11)

so, could you please explain that run-through-multiple-fires-as-many-as-you-want mechanics?

Opening a door is not an action. (Unblocking a hatch is an action, but if the hatch is not blocked, you can freely open it as part of your movement.)

Let's say you're in room #1 and you need to get to room #7 to prevent a missile launch, but room #2 and room #5 are on fire. As long as none of the hatches you need to pass through are blocked, you can drink your grog (and check for fainting), run through room #2 and #5 and into room #7, and then attempt to stop the missile launch. (Also note the grog will give a bonus to this attempt.)