Comprehensive FAQ project

By Roxas_Lawliet, in Battlelore

1) This depends upon who you are playing with - typically you would not have to announce a goblin charge, as it will be very obvious when it is being done for red units, and for blue units, while not as obvious, whether one wants to attack or not with them is the controlling player's decision. If you are playing someone who has a passion for rules ;) , then perhaps announcing would be necessary.

2) In order to use goblin rush, that unit moves two hexes and must end up adjacent to at least one enemy unit. When the controlling player chooses to battle with the "goblin rushed" unit, it must attack if an enemy is adjacent at that time. If no enemy is adjacent at that time then obviously no attack can be made, but the two hex movement is still allowed - one does not have to move it back one hex or anything like that.

3) The decision to use goblin rush is made during the movement phase. Now it gets a little fuzzy, perhaps. The black and white part (as I see it, anyway :) ): If the goblin unit did not end up adjacent to another enemy during the movement phase and ended up in a similar situation it would not be able to battle, as it would not have done a "goblin rush" action in the movement phase. Now the not so clear part: If the goblin rushing unit moved adjacent to another enemy unit, then later in the battle phase another enemy unit retreats adjacent to it, perhaps it could battle against that retreated unit. Good question for an official answer. I believe the answer would be that in the first instance (did not move adjacent to an enemy during the movement phase) no attack is possible, and in the second (did move adjacent to an enemy unit during the movement phase, then later in the battle phase another enemy unit retreated adjacent to the goblin unit) an attack would be possible

And for the question in your follow-up post: red dwarf foot units have short swords, regardless of their appearance gran_risa.gif

dvx515 said:

Another questions about the goblin charge:

1)It is necessary to fix and tell to the opponent player the enemy to be charged at the time of the movements phase, or it is possible to choose it during the attack phase?

2)the globlins are forced to attack in melee the charged enemy but in case of deadh and/or movement (retreat) of the charged enemy, right?

3)It is necessary to decide if goblins charge or normally move during the movments phase, or during the attack phase (for example blue goblins move 2 hex without madea charge, then an enemy troop became close to they, it is possible to declare a charge during the attack phase and attack or not?)?

thankyou very much!!!

Thank you so much, you have been very clear!

Bye!

If I could, another question:

if the attacking unit is placed on a hill and wants to attack in a ranged fight an unit that is placed in open field, it is possible to attack or not?

and also if the attacked unit is on a hill also, it is possible to attack even in presence of open fileds between the two units, or also if there are adjacent hills?

thankyou so much!

Yup. In order for the hill hex to block LOS it must be between the attacker and the target. The exception is that if both are on a contiguous range of hill hexes, then LOS is not blocked.

sorry, I'm not sure I've well understand:

so if the attacking unit is on a hill (let say the only hill in matter) and the attacked uniti is in a open ground hex, far form the hill but in the LOS the are only open ground hex, the distance attack is possible?

thanks again

Sorry - I made the first response a little more difficult to understand than need be by addressing not only your question, but other situations as well.

Yes, in the situation you describe there would be a clear shot. The hex with the terrain does not block the hex itself, but hexes behind it in relation to any potential ranged attacks.

Any word on how the official FAQ is progressing? Are the Lore and Creature Compendiums going to be resurrected soon?

A request for a clarification of the rulebook has come up, on p. 52 the example of Blinding Light played in response to Mass Might is given underneath the heading "Conflicting Rules & Rules Priorities and Precedence". Blinding Light is said to "negate" Mass Might in the caption beneath the example, while the rules which the example follows state: "In case of a contradiction between two lore cards played in succession, the second card trumps the effect of the first one." Do the controlling player's units battle at normal dice numbers or at one less than normal dice numbers? I.e. does Blinding Light "negate" or "trump" Mass Might?

thankyou again!!!!!

Hi Todd,

the german community has no idea about when any official stuff will be published. However, the german fan-created FAQ will be published within the next one or two weeks. It (hopefully) contains all questions from the original DOW- forum (english and german sections) and the corresponding answers. Richard helped us answering the few remaining questions that were left open in the forum. SirWillibald did a tremendous job with the design of this new compendium and it blends well into the existing Lore Cards and Creature Compendia. Unfortunately we cannot promise a release date for an english version yet, since it was one hellish job to create the german version.

Regards,

DarkPadawan on behalf of the german community (still found on www.worldofbattlelore.de)

PS: the Lore Cards and Creature Compendia (english and german) will be updated as well to include the new stuff from the FAQ project.

So, any idea if it is "trump" or "negate"? gran_risa.gif

Whatever you have put together is "official" enough for me gui%C3%B1o.gif

Also, one for the Troll's Creature Compendium entry ( from this thread on BoardGameGeek.com ):

Does the troll take a hit (lose a lore token or perish if no lore token left) from each hex it is unable to retreat, or does it simply trample any units blocking its path?

hoogerheide:

"Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the troll figure. If he's forced to retreat but cannot (due to units behind him or the edge of the board), does he lose life points only on blue banner rolls, does he lose one life point per flag, or one life point per hex that he can't retreat?

If the last, it makes him a lot easier to kill with a Giant or lore card that makes him frightened.

Thanks!"

toddrew:

"Yup, have to be careful with the Troll - two hexes per flag taken, one hit (life point) per hex unable to retreat.

EDIT: on second thought, maybe not - I've only played with the Troll once, and perhaps made some undue assumptions. Pretty clear that the troll doesn't take hits from bonus strikes and pretty clear that it does take hits from blue helmets rolled in combat. Not as clear whether it takes hits from flags (though explicit that it tramples), nor from lore powered hits, such as Cry Havoc or Magic Missiles (I would guess yes). "

And the answer is: the effect is cancelled .

The last in first out rule does not apply here, because both cards target the same game aspect (attack dice). In this case the effects simply stack and are numerically added. Your example: +1 from "Mass Might" is being countered by the -1 from "Blinding Light", giving a net modifier of 0.

The corresponding thread was: www.daysofwonder.com/de/msg/

Dark.

Thanks, DP. I was 99% sure that was correct - but it doesn't take much for me to entertain the 1% gran_risa.gif

Any word on a troll entry for the compendium?

About the troll question:

I second your answer. The troll is not treated like the "usual" creature, for it takes banner hits like a common unit. Since all units (creatures included) suffer "hits" from hexes they cannot retreat, the same should be valid for the troll, shouldn´t it? While the others reroll the hits to check for criticals, the troll simply loses life points for each hit.

The golden rule "if it isn´t explicitely stated otherwise, the standard rules apply." is still true in this case.

I would rather wait for FFG´s take on rule questions, before adding the troll to the Creature Compendium. Will there be an official rules lawyer (like Eric was at DOW)? Will Richard be the one to answer questions here in the forums?

It shouldn´t be the fans´ responsibility to gather open rules questions and get them officially answered. If FFG decides to open a rules thread or sets up a similar tool (like the DOW online compendia) and starts answering the questions, we would happily expand the Compendia to include more questions.

Dark.

another one question:

the defendig unit has the possibility to counter attack the attacking unit simply when the defending unit is bold and do not move back (or totally die) or it is necessary to ignore a black flag to do a counter attack, i.e. if there are no balck flags drawned by the attacking unit, the counter attack is not possible?

thankyou

(Optionally) ignoring a retreat flag is a side effect of being bold but not a prerequisite for a battle back.

A defending unit has to fulfill two requirements to be entitled a battle back :

• the unit has to be bold for whatever reason (inherent, support, landmark, lore card, ...)
  • the unit has not moved from the hex it occupied at the start of this particular battle.

Dark.

DarkPadawan said:

(Optionally) ignoring a retreat flag is a side effect of being bold but not a prerequisite for a battle back.

• the unit has to be bold for whatever reason (inherent, support, landmark, lore card, ...)
  • the unit has not moved from the hex it occupied at the start of this particular battle.

Dark.

You know, I haven't been playing it that way but is was always the way I thought it should be. You should be able to battle back not just when you ignore a rolled black flag but any time you are not moved from your hex.

ok, perfect!

thankyou!!!

14cross said:

DarkPadawan said:

Dark.

You know, I haven't been playing it that way but is was always the way I thought it should be. You should be able to battle back not just when you ignore a rolled black flag but any time you are not moved from your hex.

In that case you're going to love the Battle Savvy rules, which do precisely that and allow all units to Battleback as long as they survive and remain in their hex - i.e. they ignore the first requirement listed above. The advantages of Bold and Ignores One Flag type effects are that a unit that is Battle Savvy is far more likely to stay and fight than one that is not :)

Will the compendiums be translated / done in English? My German is pretty rusty and really wouldn't cope with going through the excellence you've created...

Chris

Apologies, I can't seem to get the search to work for me.

What is the official ruling for Fireball (the lore spell that costs 10) versus Giant Spider.

If the fireball 'hits' with a lore roll, is the Spider removed from the board? Does it count as just a hit (and thus requiring a reroll to be critically hit)?

Thanks...the game is at a standstill until we know.

The spider is removed - fireball is a creature killer. Good reason to take a level 3 wizard if one suspects going against a creature.

Hello.

I was just wondering if there would be a Command Card Compendium. It would be great and wouldn't take much time, since only Tactic Cards need to be clarified.

The command cards are pretty straightforward and unlike the lore cards, don't interact with other actions already in motion on the board - don't really require a compendium, in my opinion. Which do you have questions about?

Thanks much...still going through the basic game, so knowing whether or not a creature is involved is pretty certain.

todd, I'll ask you when I have some.

I'll put together my doughts on Command Cards and show you.