A few questions about Garrison Tokens

By Eunomiac, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game

Forgive me if this is somewhere in the rules; I've poked around and can't seem to find answers to these questions:

1) If a home area (Winterfell, Lannisport, etc.) is left empty of units, containing only its 2-strength Garrison Token, does an enemy attack start a combat sequence (i.e. playing House Cards, etc.), or is the Garrison Token treated the same way as a Neutral Force Token?

2) When, if ever, are Garrison Tokens placed back on the board? Are they permanent features of that location? (i.e. Greyjoy takes Lannisport: does the 2-Strength Garrison Token remain?) If they are removed, are they gone forever? Or are they put back if their natural owner retakes the location?

Thanks!

On Page 26: Garrisons

If there are no units defending a location with a Garrison token, combat still occurs as normal as if the Garrison was a single unit.

If a Garrison is defeated in combat (whether defending by itself or with other friendly units), it is permanently removed from the game, regardless of the number of Sword or Fortification icons on House cards played in the combat.

Players may not assign orders to an area containing only a Garrison. A Garrison’s strength is only used when its area is attacked, not for support or any other purpose. Garrisons are purely defensive forces.