Trouble With Chaos Cube Quest (Quest Compendium)

By TychoVII, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I started playing this quest as OL with my roommate and everything was going fine. The rules were pretty straightforward. That is, until he got to the final cube. I didn't notice the rule that states that the players can win if all the heroes make it through the door without killing the demon. The fact that this wasn't mentioned until the very last paragraph wasn't the problem though.

The rules state that the edges of each corridor are adjacent to every other edge, as if the room were an actual 3D cube, just flattened out on the table. This means that the exit door (which is displayed on the map as a red rune door) is technically adjacent to the same squares that the players enter the cube from. Does this mean they can exit through the door from those squares? If that's true, then there's absolutely nothing I can do about it because they enter the cube directly after my turn ends. So the first they can do is exit immediately. The fact that I'm not allowed to spawn any monsters in that room or allow a monster to occupy any of those entry squares makes it even more difficult for me to do anything about it. Does this mean that the players really only have to just get passed the previous cube to win and not even worry about the end boss at all?

Another thing that was unclear about this quest is why the final door is a red rune locked door, but there never is any key. I assume that just means it isn't actually locked. Does it mean the players don't even have to open it? Is it simply just a marker for the exit that they just walk through?

There are a couple other things that I wonder about, but I'd like to get someone's opinion on this first. Anybody out there have any ideas?

In general when there's a quest with a rune locked door and no matching rune key to be found, there's usually something special the heroes need to do to unlock the door described somewhere in the quest text. The door is not "automatically unlocked" just because the key is absent.

That said, the quest compendium is known for having made a LOT of errors, and this seems to be one of them. If you check the errata file in the support section, it would appear that the red door should not be there at all. The heroes must defeat the demon to finish the quest.

Oh man. I wish I had known this errata file existed beforehand, they completely revamped this quest in it. There isn't even a door at all in the revised version. Thanks for the info Steve-O!

Here's a link to the file if anyone else is curious: Quest Compendium Errata PDF

We happened to play this quest as the only one so far from the Compendium. Even in the revamped version, the heroes barely stood a chance only because they had Boggs (and drew Eyes of Thara on top of that) - we had to make up rules for familiars on the go to make it work, though.

There was some weird fighting going on on the cubes, with having line of sight to almost any space except the opposite cube side. It was fun and the heroes made it in the end - rats!