Some clarifications...

By Lord Tengil, in Mutant Chronicles

Ok, i have just bought the starter box and played a co games. The crappy manual and explanations to abilities leaves a lot of questions, which i hope some of you can answer.

1. Is there an extensive FAQ somewhere, Besides the crappy FAQ which FFG provides on Mutant chronicles CMG page?

2. Can the Elite Bishop really Heal himself? I heard so, but does that not make him just Too good?

3. And in that case, the ranger elite has an ability that gives all adjacent ranger +2 movement. Does that apply to himself?

4. The named character of Bauhaus has an ability called "incendiary fire" i think it was. I do not understand if that is a separate special attack that he can take besides his normal attack, or an extra action spent together with a normal attack.

5. In my go, i can spend two order tokens. But if on your first order token you perform an attack and use other figures to support and spend order tokens on them, do they count toward my 2 order tokens i can spend on my go?

6. Has anyone tried to play one order token per player before switching player? It seems to me that this should be more "fair". Does that scew up the game dynamics? Anyone tried?

7. In the manual errata that ffg provides on ther page, it specifies new beginners teams, as the old ones are wrong. THis one ALSO seems to be wrong, as one of the capitol units named is a gold unit, but said to be bronze in the errata. Which should it be?

Cheers

1- There is no other FAQ than the "crapy" one you mentioned. Coral Beach did compile all rulings in the website of the french editor (Edge)

2-The Elite Bishop can heal himself, since he is an friendly to himself. That makes him good, but there are a lot of other "too good" silver figs in the Brotherhood...

3-The Elite Ranger doesn't receive the +2 move bonus, because he isn't adjacent to himself (though he is, like the bishop, friendly to himself)

4-Max Steiner's Incendiary blast isn't an attack. It costs you one action to activate it, but you then have to use another action to attack and benefit from its effects.

5-I wouldn't sell my soul on this one, but I think (and used this interpretation until now) that additional order tokens used for a combined attack doesn't count towards your two order assignation each turn.

6-Didn't try it, it could be better in small scale games... But the two order per turn works quite well in 5/5/5 to 10/10/10 format. I like to be able to combine the actions of two units before my opponent's turn !

7-The errata is wrong (yup, I know that doesn't sound right...) : the bronze unit should be named "Free Marine soldier".

Hope you'll give this game the chance it deserves. It has a lot to offer once you outgrow the insanely bugged manual.

Thanks a lot. Clarified everything i wondered really. Two tumbs up.

Just one question... How has all these interpretations come to be locked? Are all these things something that ffg has cleared and then it has propagated through the gaming world, or a unison between the players?

I really hope to get going with this game, it looks to me as it has very good potential, allthough some units just look too good to be true.

Oups. Too late ...

7.) It should be a "Free Marine Soldier " (bronze), not a "Free Marine Hero "...

Rulings at last year's GenCon tournament have helped a lot. Other rulings have either come from the previous line coordinator on the forums, or from emailing other folks at FFG. We really only come to our own conclusions through deliberation when it's something simple enough to agree upon.

Lord Tengil said:

Just one question... How has all these interpretations come to be locked? Are all these things something that ffg has cleared and then it has propagated through the gaming world, or a unison between the players?

Lot of these answers came from questions asked directly to game designer, Nate French. I've completly forgot that the english FAQ is 6 months old (the game coordinator, Tony Dulac, has left the company since). I'm wondering if I would not put online an unofficial updated english FAQ (I've kept all Nate French answers)...

5) Paptimus was right, the order used on a combined attack doesn't count for the two-token limit per turn (but you lose the combined attackers units and her tokens for this round, of course)

6) In each turn you HAVE to activate one mini, and you CAN activate a second one, isn't obligatory. Besides, the two activations per turn gives more opportunities to the weaker factions (I'm talking about Capitol here). With two units you can make some tactical maneuvers very interesting, and you can only use one command card for the entire turn, it's more balanced in general terms.

Ok, great replis folks. Was very helpful and straightforward. And fast ;) I will go home and read my ref cards and decide what faction i wantto play. At a galnce, the brootherhood looks very powerful. Perhaps too to make it interesting?

I'm a Brotherhood player, and in my experience there's no army extremely powerful compared with the others. Brothers have armour and some effects that prevent you to throw the dices (her best talent in my opinion), but it's very short ranged and weak talking about injures (no double-hexed minis, their best gold units have only two injures, etc...). Perhaps the Brotherhood it's the best choice for your game style, but your battles won't be easy forever. gui%C3%B1o.gif

MarceAndrade said:

6) In each turn you HAVE to activate one mini, and you CAN activate a second one, isn't obligatory. Besides, the two activations per turn gives more opportunities to the weaker factions (I'm talking about Capitol here). With two units you can make some tactical maneuvers very interesting, and you can only use one command card for the entire turn, it's more balanced in general terms.

Ok, i played antoher game last night, a 5/5/5, Capitol vs Algeroth (a total devastation of the algeroth forces, the ragners ripped them apart), and it raised som MORE rules questions i have not found an answer on.

1. First of all, regarding point six above: In the rules, it sais that you MUST use two orders to activate two minis on your turn. Is this another mistake in the manual?

2. This is regarding the necromutant and his mutations in death. First of all, does the mutated necromutant come into play unodrered or ordered? A third option ist that he takes the status of the killed necromutant, but in that case, if the original necromutant is in the middle of using a gold token, then what? If he comes into play unordered always, it gives opporunities for some pretty interesting kamikaze moves.

3. Still regarding the necromutants: Does excessive damage carry over to the newly spawned necromutant? I guess no, but the question was raised in last night's game.

3. There are many abilities that give damage or extra damage, for example the supreme technomancer can give 1 damage to all adjacent enemies, and max steiner's incendiary fire? Can this damage be soaked from cover/armour? We have played with that it can be soaked, but we are not sure, as the technomancer's damage does not function as an ordinary attack.

4. If a unit is moved by the banshee hero's ability, can a guard attack be used on the moved unit, depite he has not taken a move action? This is kind of ambigious, as som forced movements, such as the ability of the advanced bio giant moving an enemy, can be targeted by a guard attack, but the unit moved by the KA great eagle's transport move is not. So please help me clarify, and how i should reason to solve these questions in the future.

5. For the purpose of using command cards which says "use during an attack", does a guard attack count as an attack, or are these cards only playable during pure attack actions?

6. Does victory tokens give cover?

thanks again folks.

1) Yes, you must assign two order tokens at your turn (ie, you can't delay your activations).

2) No, the new Necromutant come into play without any order token, nor wound token. The order token assigned to the old Necromutant, if any, is placed in your used order token pool (the same one for order tokens use to buyback cards).

3) The old and the new Necromutants are different units. The only thing in common is the place where the old Necromutant is destroyed and where the new Necromutant come into play. The old Necromutant give normally VP to your adversary (as a destroyed unit). If the new Necromutant is destroyed later in the game, he will give VP to your adversary too.

4) By default, a damage is considered soakable by cover and armor (action attack or game effect). Max Steiner incendiary damage is soakable only by cover. Supreme Technomancer damage is soakable by cover and armor.

5) In the rulebook, it is stated pg. 23 that guard attacks are considered as attack actions regarding special abilities, game effect and so on (but you can make an attack action and guard action is the same activation).

6) No, Victory zones are considered as open terrains (regarless of VZ tokens on them or not).

Mutation says: When a Necromutant Defiler/Tormentor is destroyed , you may put a Necromutant Tormentor/Necromutant into play on the hex previously occupied by the Necromutant Defiler/Tormentor

For the victory points, each destroyed Necromutant counts as seperate Unit. So i think, when a Necromutant Unit is destroyed ( After " Step 7:Assign final damage" a Unit is destroyed, which means that there is no excessive damage, imho), you put a totally new Unit in play which is healthy and unordered...

Edit: Jeez, to late ;)

Preums ! gui%C3%B1o.gif

Excellent Coral. Startingto get a hang of it. I have only played a couple of games, where the first one depicted Capitol as tremendously weak. So it was nice to see them kick some serious butt in my last game :)

A problem now is that there are really only two players in my town that i know of, me and my friend. The game shop has only sold one copy, to me, of the starting box, so it's up to me now to get more people in to it.