Painting and finishing?

By mhlarsen, in Battles of Westeros

I have begun painting my BoW army.

I have seen an article on this website that recommends finishing with wood stain and then matt varnish.

Can Army Painters Quick Shade replace both these finishing materials?

Thanks

Michael

I believe Army Painter Quick Shade dries gloss. They sell a compatible matte spray varnish if you want to knock it back to a matte finish.

The point of Army Painter rather than using wood stain (the two being essentially the same formulations otherwise) is simply that they've formulated it for this use (ready thinned, essentially) and hence can control the shade depth so you don't have to.

I would caution that it's pretty common with gaming miniatures for the matte coat to wear off and need redoing from time to time. Matte varnish just isn't as hard wearing as the gloss.

If this is your first time painting figures or painting them using "the dip" (as this technique is known), might I recommend getting a box of some cheap plastics (such as Airfix, Esci or similar) for a few pounds/dollars to practice on before starting on your BoW ones. The same techniques are applicable. There is a knack to dunking the figures in the right way, to picking colours which look like you expect they will through the shading and not getting smears on them while they dry and so on and it would be better to learn these things on figures you don't care so much about.

There is a how to article on the site with step by step instructions and tips by the winner of the Westeros figure painting contest. Might be worth checking out. Search "painting contest" to find it. I can't remember where I saw it here.