3rd Edition conversion - Doomstones Campaign - Part 1. Fire and Blood. Download ready plus Yetzin Valey Sandbox Flowchart

By Glorian Underhill, in WFRP Gamemasters

Bild0605.jpg

The stones are in motion! The sleeper is about to wake.

I’m planning on running a converted doomstone campaign for my dwarf-only group as the setting seems most fitting.
So I’m starting this thread for additional input into the conversion into the 3rd Edition. Gallows has made a superb conversion guide for “The Thousand Thrones Campaign” which I will use as a reference. link: http://www.liberfanatica.net/TTT.html

The probes and rolls will be shamelessly copied by me. For the Adventure itself there need adjustments to be made.
There are several points:

1. The Doomstone Adventure offers a lot of money to find for the adventurers. My personal Gold 2nd to 3rd translation is by dividing it through 30. Even though sometimes they found 350 GCs which is 11,6 Gold in the new 3rd Gold currency. Quite too much for my liking. Also it breaks the suggested 65 silver of emirikols house rules which I find very sound. Emirikol has some suggestions to let them spend that much gold. Problem is that there aren’t any places to spend that much gold in the campaign. There is only a monastery and some villages.

2. No dwarf wizards in 3rd. So every spell like the magic barrier in the very first dungeon has to been converted.

3. Too much magic items. Potions of flight and scrolls of stuff. I’m not sure if this fits into my sight of the old world. And there are several magic items around, a super sword here, a gromril chainmail there. Again to high fantasy for my liking. Maybe it will be a rune weapon or a superior one with plus one blue or yellow dice. (See Liber Fanatica 8 for the expanded superior items). Also Gromril chainmail is impossible to build for these days dwarfs. Only in the time of the ancestor gods was it possible to bend Gromril into chainmail-rings.

4. The Doomstones itself: For the Campaign I am making adjustments for the stones itself. With the Action Spell Cards the PCs can gain access to powerful spells provided by the doomstones. In the old rules they get access to more powerful spells once they get more and more into the stones. So rules wise for the stone of fire I will simply give the player another spell card from the school of fire. The spells can been cast without power supply. I think I will use the tokens to tell how many hours the spell needs to recharge. Level 5 Spells will have drastic affects on the health of the caster. Chaos Stars while casting will cause some of the effects described in the rules. Actually the Chaos Star is most fitting.

5. No elemementals in 3rd Edition as far as I know. So some plot twists have to been changed.

6. Too much MOBs in the dungeons. I don’t want to make it a dungeon crawl adventure. The cool stuff about the doomstones campaign is the riddles put into cards and handouts that the adventurers should solve. Also 3rd edition fighting is dangerous. My Group has a first aid miner but no magic healing capability.

Sounds awesome! I've entertained this notion myself a few times. I love the Dwarfs and always wanted to do a dwarf only campaign. From what I've read and heard about Doomstones though is that it is rather more D&D like than most Warhammer campaigns. I hope you'll be able to bring some more flavor to the story and encounters. Currently I'm fiddling around with expanding the materitals presented in the Black Fire Pass set, including creating new careers and talents. If you'd like to share or just spring ideas off each other feel free. I'm going to go seek out my Doomstones books now and do some research so I can feel more confident about providing feedback on what you've posted. Good luck, can't wait to hear more.

I'll also run it in near future, and if you remove the elements of dungeon wandering mobs, random encounters, insanely deadly traps etc... then you also remove the D&D elements, which is what I want.

My plans are to make a it a political campaign, with dwarves being the political factors, maybe thrown in with some Empire politics.

Get rid of the insane deadly traps is a must as I'm not trying to kill my whole group and let them have build new dwarfs. Also most of them has after 8 Sessions in 3rd edition a story and background.

So I will get rid of:

-Elementals

-dwarf wizzards

-Random encounters

-A fight every room. I think I will stik to the theme of a small fight and a big one per dungeon, hole, shrine whatever.

-Insane deadly traps. Traps are fine, but only when they are not killing a PC outright with one one roll bad, or one bad decission.

-Super deadly beast around the next tree. I think I will reduce the number of superbeast roaming the wilds. Also the chaos band from part one is a little at the wrong place in the vaults.

-Build something like a social hub in there. Maybe I will build in the dwarf community from the last part early on, so they have a safe port to go back to.

What will stay is definatley all the clues and riddles. I have already started to translate them into german. German orkish is quite fun to read. happy.gif

A little sneakpeek of my german handouts. happy.gif

597875_e12aebe0aa_e.jpg

Course Change.

As I started the conversion of the first adventure I wanted to make it 3rd Edition like. Well, that worked. But after I'm done I see the Adventure and it is still an absolute heavy Railroad D&D stuff only with new rules. Or "Old wine in a new flask".

So I began to rethink this part of politics stuff mentioned. I started it as an Flowchart to describe what can happen. It is a first draft and lots of Factions are missing.

The plan is an Yetzin Valley sandbox with different factions and their behavior towards each other. Also what adventures are possible for the PCs. Most of the Adventures are parts of the several Adventures from the 5 books. But most of the time they can travel between the hooks, do what they like or socailise with their faction to gather news, equipment or espionage.

Factions so far:

-Karak Azgaraz Expedition with the Heir to Kadard Gravning

-Karak Izor Expedition to find the Crown of Hardin

-Imperial landless Noble

-The Border Princess Scum

-Karak Hirn Kill-Team

-Tzeentch Cultists in the split mountain

-The Ogres from Karak Heldag

-The peoples of Urdvar

-The Eyrie monastery

-The bloodaxe Orks

-The Leatherhawk Enterprises

-The Imperial Knights Order to destroy the Doomstones.

After my dwarf onyl group broke appart around that time I stoped working on it. So I brushed up the file and made it into a pdf.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/68020457/Doomstones/Doomstone%20Conversion%20-%20Blood%20in%20the%20Mountains%20-%20English.pdf

Also I have made a Flowchart at that time for a Yetzin Valley Sandbox, using the first four adventures from the Doomstones.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/68020457/Doomstones/Flowchart%20Doomstones%20Sandbox.pdf

Have a look and tell me what you think.

Just glancing through it looks great - especially the sandbox piece. If I ever try to do anything with Doomstones I'll definitely keep these to hand, as I'd want to do something along the lines of what you've been doing.

Thanks very much for making it available.

Looks really good. I've been itching for a good dungeon crawl for quite a some time and this might just prove to be what I needed!

When you are contented to the documents I would like to host them on the Daily Empire . If it is okay with you?

@Doc Chutlu…whatever, that tentacle thing. :)

Documents hosting yes, but let me look one more time over them over the holidays. Some on my home Forum (www.altewelt.net) already told me that I have for example wrote "Die Doomstone Campaign". :)

Also I will put my german handouts for the adventure on. Still missing are are also rules for the Doomstones and stats for the boss fight. Only minor staff though.

And for the sanbox chart there is also a second chart concerning two more human factions battling around the valley.