Ranged attacks.Toughness and advance abilitiesCapturing the commander.

By guest461286, in Battles of Westeros

Some new player questions:

First: Do the toughness ability of a unit reduce hits taken because of the lack of retreat spaces when the unit is forced to retreat more than it can?

Second: How does the ability advance when used on a road space with the bonus movement from the road?

Third: Can a commander be captured from the hits resulting from retreat hexes that he couldn's move?

Fourth: Which movement restrictions do Addam Marbrand Outrider commander of House Lannister ignore with his ability?

Fifth: If an archers unit attacks an enemy adjacent to it does this counts as a melee attack and is an engagement token placed?If a unit has the ranged attack symbol on its reference card all his attacks are considered ranged?If an archers unit is adjacent to an enemy unit that is in a forest space can the ranged unit attack that enemy?

Sixth: When a commander is captured is there a morale penalty for the player who conrolled that commander?

Thank you for your support!

MoonShadow said:

First: Do the toughness ability of a unit reduce hits taken because of the lack of retreat spaces when the unit is forced to retreat more than it can?

Yes.

MoonShadow said:

Second: How does the ability advance when used on a road space with the bonus movement from the road?

No. Advance has no range - you can only move into the hex formerly occupied by the unit you attacked.

With Pursue, I'm not sure, but since terrain restrictions apply, I would say that the road effect applies, too.

MoonShadow said:

Third: Can a commander be captured from the hits resulting from retreat hexes that he couldn's move?

Yes.

MoonShadow said:

Fourth: Which movement restrictions do Addam Marbrand Outrider commander of House Lannister ignore with his ability?

He ignores restrictions from terrain hexes listed under Movement, except for Impassable.

MoonShadow said:

Fifth: If an archers unit attacks an enemy adjacent to it does this counts as a melee attack and is an engagement token placed?If a unit has the ranged attack symbol on its reference card all his attacks are considered ranged?If an archers unit is adjacent to an enemy unit that is in a forest space can the ranged unit attack that enemy?

No engagement token is placed, since archers do not have a melee attack. All its attacks are considered ranged.

About the forest, sure it can attack. As long as it has LOS to that hex, which is always the case if it is adjacent.

MoonShadow said:

Sixth: When a commander is captured is there a morale penalty for the player who conrolled that commander?

No. You do get the normal morale bonus from eliminating the unit, though.

MoonShadow said:

From description of road / forest road hexes: "Units can advance one extra hex (up to a total of two hexes) and units can pursue one extra hex (up to a total of three hexes) as long as all movement is on road hexes"

MoonShadow said:

All but (from FAQ 1.2.1):

Q. Can Addam Marbrand (as “Outrider Commander”) move through terrain hexes with units in them?

A. No.

KelemvorFFG said:

MoonShadow said:

From description of road / forest road hexes: "Units can advance one extra hex (up to a total of two hexes) and units can pursue one extra hex (up to a total of three hexes) as long as all movement is on road hexes"

Oops. Thanks for correcting me - I had overlooked this.

argwinkle said:

He ignores restrictions from terrain hexes listed under Movement, except for Impassable.

I don't want to be a "correction 'hore", but he can actually move across impassable terrain.

KelemvorFFG said:

I don't want to be a "correction 'hore", but he can actually move across impassable terrain.

That what I get for playing the stark side. My Lannister opponent immediately said "sure he can move through impassable terrain - it's even on the card".