When to use abilities?

By Rozy, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

Hi, I am new to the game. When can player use abilites such as Gunpowder? If I am the last player on that turn, can I use it to destroy a building before any player can use it in their citi management phase or do I have to wait for my turn?

Other Question involves the new relics. Doesnt it seems a little bit overpowered? I mean it is a huge difference if you get a hut or a Confucius School in the first tile you explore. The +2 Great People gives you a huge boost. Do we play something wrong, i guess not. You just have to go there with army and it is yours.

There is some clue in rulebook concerning first question: "For example, Currency (shown above) allows a player to spend one incense resource token to gain three culture tokens during the player’s City Management Phase." I think it can be generalized on other abilities (except canceling, which must be used immediately after action).

Asking your second question, yes, you play right, relics are strong, like great people cards...

Piotrek said:

I think it can be generalized on other abilities (except canceling, which must be used immediately after action).