Mustering with Special Consolidate Power

By KC Accidental, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (1st Edition)

An issue that cropped up in our game was the use of the special token for consolidate power. The issue was whether it could be used for mustering on any area in control of that player, not just strongholds and castles.

My understanding was that it enables the player to use mustering there, but that the mustering rules would still apply, thus still requiring it to be used on castles. My friend disagreed because it only simply states something along the lines of "allows mustering".

I can kinda see both arguments but personally I'm going for still needing castles because players higher on the Kings Court could use it to muster lots of troops anywhere they controlled, thus gaining a ridiculously unfair advantage. I thought I'd get this clarified though as the rules don't make it and in the interest of fairness :)

There's no need to weigh arguments. :) The rules on page 22 say:

Only the area that was assigned the Special Consolidate Power Order is mustered. If there’s no Castle or Stronghold in the assigned area, no mustering can take place.

So if you played a starred Consolidate Power order on an area with no Castle or Stronghold, its extra ability would not be available to you.

Must have overlook that! Thanks!